advertisement

Alternatives to Beresford Caiman SEG DAC

RichShortland

pfm Member
Hi, I need a new DAC. Coax and optical at least for now (no need for USB yet).
Can anyone recommend any alternatives to the Caiman SEG around that price point, circa £200.

Hi, I need a new DAC. Coax and optical at least for now (no need for USB yet).
Can anyone recommend any alternatives to the Caiman SEG around that price point, circa £200.
Is there a reason you dont like the Beresford Rich?

You won’t beat the Beresford on a price for price comparison. As Darren says above, is there something you don’t like about the SEG?

You won’t beat the Beresford on a price for price comparison. As Darren says above, is there something you don’t like about the SEG?

Nothing I don’t like, I think. It’s more a case of whether there are any other choices or options. i had a feeling I might need to spend more for alternatives as good.

I have the Dorado too, but bought it with the DAC, so can't answer, sorry. Perceived wisdom was that it is a good idea. I dislike the brightness of the LEDs which is permanent on the Dorado, and temporary on the DAC since once one input is selected the LED dims. I dislike the fact the power switches on the Dorado and DAC go the opposite way! I dislike that when I use optical from a CCA and stream from Spotify that randomly between tracks the DAC emits a horrific noise. I think the DAC is built slightly differently and/or has different firmware if for use with the Dorado?!!? Might be wrong on that.

At the combined price of a Caiman SEG and Dorado (that seems to be out of stock atm?) you are in the range of a new Chord mojo, as above a D30 with or without P50 matching linear PSU, or the newer D50s which measures very well for the price, haven't heard them but those are the oft spoken off alternatives at the price.

The Dorado power supply is very good and only about £80 so not a massive amount more. If you get the Dorado make sure that the SEG is configured for 15v and has the latest firmware. You could also have the Capacitor upgrade which takes the SEG to another level.

I compared the SEG to the Chord Mojo and whilst the Chord was good it didn’t have the musicality of the Beresford combo, and after I had my SEG upgraded by Coherent Systems, the Chord didn’t even come close.

The magic of the SEG is that is very musical and easily upgradeable at not a lot of money.

Seconded
Allmost a deal-breaker
Was a deal breaker in my main system, Mrs Nobeone hates blue LEDs with a passion, I just about get away with a Mose Hercules, but the Beresford had to be relegated to office headphone duties, which it does superbly and it does not annoy there as I hide the Dorado behind my monitor!

The Dorado power supply is very good and only about £80 so not a massive amount more. If you get the Dorado make sure that the SEG is configured for 15v and has the latest firmware. You could also have the Capacitor upgrade which takes the SEG to another level.

I compared the SEG to the Chord Mojo and whilst the Chord was good it didn’t have the musicality of the Beresford combo, and after I had my SEG upgraded by Coherent Systems, the Chord didn’t even come close.

The magic of the SEG is that is very musical and easily upgradeable at not a lot of money.
Oooh I like another level, must catch up with Stan about what mods are available, I think there is a clock mod too. What do Coherent Systems get up to with the SEG?

I think there is a clock mod too. What do Coherent Systems get up to with the SEG?

There is a clock mod that Stan does too.

Coherent upgrade all of the capacitors and will fit a superior clock, but likely at a cost above what Stan will do with the SEG.

For overly bright LEDs i used to use a permanent marker on sellotape stuck over the offending lights. However I've since changed to these.
wvgRj55.jpg

]Just bought a Beresford Caiman and Dorado…

How would I check what firmware is fitted and what the mod state is?

Any mods ‘essential’ or just ‘nice to have’.

This one:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/26621231...d=link&campid=5338728743&toolid=20001&mkevt=1[/QUOTE]

A couple of years ago I bought a very pension friendly Beresford Caiman SEG new from Stan Beresford along with a Dorado 3 Stan suggested waiting for a month before getting him to do the super capacitor & super clock modifications. Stan lives about 45 minutes away so I dropped it off/picked it up a few days later. I tried the SEG both with & without the Dorado 3, it made a large difference with Dorado 3 fitted a new Dorado 3 is about £50/60

As well as the 2 mods Stan had fitted the SEG50 chip, the number of the chip is written on the top of the chip, The perceived difference was considerable from the get go, prior to the upgrades the sound signature setting variations were almost indiscernible, after differences for DVD player & CD, Virgin HD box & TV I was able to easily discern preferences i.e. the number of flashes of the red select switch LED. after reading more about the Caiman SEG I replaced the 2 board mounted phono sockets with all brass ones connected to the board with OCC 6n silver plated .5 mm wire, this made a surprisingly good difference, Stan will also do this mod for you.

A few months later I bought an MCRU 15 v Linear PSU designed by Nick Gorham of Longdog Audio, actually more of a Christmas present, there are less expensive Chinese options. The MCRU LPSU made a significant improvement over the the supplied Switching PSU wall wart.

The LED's on an SEG are dimmable http://www.beresford.me/downloads/TC-7535_R4.pdf

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I was most impressed even with a standard Caimen that I suggested to a friend some years ago hence recommending a SEG/Dorado to Eoin for a low cost solution for better digital performance.

The current firmware is version 42. If you open the case the firmware chip should have a small label with a hand written number. If it's had the clock mod the oscillator crystals will have been replaced. Look for two small thin metal cans approx 1 cm square with two leads. The cans will be lying flat and horizontal above the PCB with obvious leads soldered to the board. The originals were vertical and positioned directly above the PCB holes with short leads "through the hole".

The current firmware is version 42. If you open the case the firmware chip should have a small label with a hand written number. If it's had the clock mod the oscillator crystals will have been replaced. Look for two small thin metal cans approx 1 cm square with two leads. The cans will be lying flat and horizontal above the PCB with obvious leads soldered to the board. The originals were vertical and positioned directly above the PCB holes with short leads "through the hole".

As above SEG 50 firmware is current, fitted to my Caiman 2021/22 Stan has had trouble getting chips may be why the website shows SEG42 I could not post a picture of mine with the modifications showing the super caps & super clock with SEG50.

advertisement

Back