advertisement

Reducing heat in west facing room/conservatory

Neil P

pfm Member
We have a west facing bedroom which is very hot when the sun shines. We also have a west facing conservatory (translucent plastic roof) which forms one end of our kitchen. This gets even hotter and the kitchen ends up so hot I'm surprised the fridge can cope!

Has anyone successfully found a solution to windows/conservatory roofs? I'm assuming we need to replace the roof, and for the windows I'm wondering if exterior tinting is possible?

The bedroom window goes up to the sofit so no room for an exterior blind.

I don't know what it's called, but you can get window film stuff you apply to the window that reflects heat away. We had this in our old office and this is what they did and it worked well.

I think they applied to inside of window, but this was a few years ago, so could be remembering that wrong.

I don't know what it's called, but you can get window film stuff you apply to the window that reflects heat away. We had this in our old office and this is what they did and it worked well.

I think they applied to inside of window, but this was a few years ago, so could be remembering that wrong.
Yes, there’s a wide range or films that you can use, some specifically for IR reduction. We had some UV film applied to some Velux windows, purely to,protect some artwork.

If the windows are double glazed sealed units, it’s best to use exterior film, otherwise the unit can crack or worse shatter if it’s safety glass.

Plenty of suppliers online

^1 to @Nero's post above. The point about preventing the energy getting in in the first place, is a good one.
I've used 3M Prestige on an refurbishment of a giant south facing atrium (c >300 sq.m of vertical glass... doh) and it was highly effective.

As for the conservatory roof - any opportunity for introducing greenhouse style temperature-control vent operators to simply dump the heat you don't want?

IR refelectors - such as K Glass - are based on indium oxide coating - sort of feint blue-greyish tint.

Read up on green/glass house ventilation, which people installing conservatories never, ever do. The amount of ventilation needed is huge - with two roof vents on auto-openers and an open door on my south-facing, free-standing 8x12, it still gets too hot for tomatoes (fortunately, I don't grow them - just ornamental plants that mostly bask in the heat).

We have a west facing bedroom which is very hot when the sun shines. We also have a west facing conservatory (translucent plastic roof) which forms one end of our kitchen. This gets even hotter and the kitchen ends up so hot I'm surprised the fridge can cope!

Has anyone successfully found a solution to windows/conservatory roofs? I'm assuming we need to replace the roof, and for the windows I'm wondering if exterior tinting is possible?

The bedroom window goes up to the sofit so no room for an exterior blind.

Think about external blinds, I know they work well. They are expensive of course.

Conservatories are a nightmare unless the object is to use as a greenhouse. The best solution would be to replace it with a properly constructed extension insulated to current spec.

Conservatories are a nightmare unless the object is to use as a greenhouse. The best solution would be to replace it with a properly constructed extension insulated to current spec.
Mine is great and I wouldn't be without it. It's a bit of the garden brought indoors and on days like today when the rest of the house is somewhat cool without heating and the garden too cold to sit in it's a great place to be. In summer, it's often too hot. So open a door to let it cool down and sit outside. By the evening it will be cooler and perfect.

this is interesting , being an anorak when i am on the train i have a look at conservatory roofs . i notice the trend towards glass a lot . now i have a number of roofs with polycarbonate triple and i like it

i popped recently to my fairly high end Conservatory manufacturer and when i said do you do polycarbonate he looked at me ... as if to say why would you . Well this conservatory i want to renew is next to a park so potential for objects being thrown and glass broken . it gets hot inside . they also blow , i visist a friend with blown panels in roof . Now ploycarbonate may not blow but it does get condensation and does discolour . but at the moment triple layer is probably my choice for the next conservatory roof

https://www.roofingmegastore.co.uk/polycarbonate-roofing-sheet-corotherm.html

this conservatory company also does metal sheets , so you get some glass and some metal . that seems also an option. many folks put solid roofs on but that can reduce light on inner rooms

https://www.finesse-windows.co.uk/conservatories-gallery/

this is interesting , being an anorak when i am on the train i have a look at conservatory roofs . i notice the trend towards glass a lot . now i have a number of roofs with polycarbonate triple and i like it

i popped recently to my fairly high end Conservatory manufacturer and when i said do you do polycarbonate he looked at me ... as if to say why would you . Well this conservatory i want to renew is next to a park so potential for objects being thrown and glass broken . it gets hot inside . they also blow , i visist a friend with blown panels in roof . Now ploycarbonate may not blow but it does get condensation and does discolour . but at the moment triple layer is probably my choice for the next conservatory roof

this conservatory company also does metal sheets , so you get some glass and some metal . that seems also an option. many folks put solid roofs on but that can reduce light on inner rooms

My conservatory design was going to have 7 skin polycarbonate; it's light and a good insulator. We just preferred transparency.

We're Pilkington K, Argon filled and the roof is tinted so not too over hot but it still warms up well as soon as the sun comes out.

It's noticeable that plants do better in the greenhouse though so i germinate in the conservatory and harden off when most plants have 2TL in the greenhouse.

Big thing in the summer is that we've got double doors at each end, roof vents and a top section of side window all round to open.

Love watching the bats through the roof on summer nights.

I didn't realise poly' was still being used. I'm assuming I will need to replace the conservatory roof, but find we get a lot of rain noise on the existing poly.

I found this company who have 3 different solutions. Will try and find a showroom to visit on a hot day and a rainy day.

allseasonsroof.co.uk

advertisement

Back