advertisement

The watch thread: pocket, wrist, sporty, showy? You name it!

Doesn't look like it has the right strap (the gap would irritate me). Expect to pay £200 for one.

The strap is the wrong size but I'm not sure that should affect the purchase. The original leather strap will have long ago perished and it's easy enough to replace. Leather straps aren't necessarily expensive and there are obviously lots of metal bracelets that would also work.

I'd be more concerned about whether the case has been polished and any crispness lost as this is a really common thing for dealers to do to make the watch look more 'shiny' but it affects the value to collectors.

I'd also really want to know when it was last serviced. If there's no mention of a service in a listing I'd assume I need to factor in the cost of a service to the purchase price. Fifty year old watches need some TLC.

Probably, but don't underestimate the cost of keeping a 60-70 year old watch running. Parts wear out and may not be available, so you'll be having them made. Which is fine, these are simple machines but everything that moves wears out. My mum has recently had to give up on her 21st birthday present, a good Rotary that can no longer be fixed. A shame.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I nearly bought my first self-winding watch today from Goldsmiths. Having tried on and become quite satisfied with the look and feel of this Fossil Chronograph, it soon became clear it was battery powered even though the details on their website stated otherwise - at least, the salesperson seemed sure it was battery powered.

As I already own a Fossil watch powered by battery I didn't feel inclined to buy another, so I thanked the salesperson and left accordingly. Fwiw, it was a click & collect order so neither of us could have known about it being battery powered beforehand. And even though the watch costs peanuts (£70) compared to all the other watches in the shop, I was treated very well as I was offered a hot beverage and invited to help myself to some chocolates while my watch was being retrieved. No deal in the end as I say, but well done Goldsmiths for an otherwise enjoyable experience ;)

17230776_1_640.jpg

What watch are you watching, wearing or wishing to wear in the future? I'll watch with interest for any and all replies :)
I have a G-SHOCK with 4 buttons, terrible instructions and took me 45 minutes to change time, give me a mechanical watch anyday

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I have a G-SHOCK with 4 buttons, terrible instructions and took me 45 minutes to change time, give me a mechanical watch anyday

I agree, some digital watches are way too complicated when it comes to changing time and using other functions. That said, the Casio F91W is about as straightforward as it gets and I'll never part with it unless it dies, whereupon I'll buy another. So they're not all bad, but I also agree mechanical watches have a certain charm and appeal :)

We had these very guys come to are University about 2 weeks ago trying to get the finally year guys to come and work for them
There place looks great and is all brand new has a super view over the country side
I read that FT article. One bit of advice that I picked up is, "Yes, it's your dream watch, but can you afford to service it?" My dream is a perpetual calendar watch, simply because I love the whole idea of never having to change anything until February 2100 (which has no leap year), by which time, barring miracles, I'll be past caring. However, the one I looked at on Chrono24, a JLC, had its last service invoice - EUR1700. I checked with JLC. A service (recommended every 7 years) cost CHF3000 :eek:.

I read that FT article. One bit of advice that I picked up is, "Yes, it's your dream watch, but can you afford to service it?" My dream is a perpetual calendar watch, simply because I love the whole idea of never having to change anything until February 2100 (which has no leap year), by which time, barring miracles, I'll be past caring. However, the one I looked at on Chrono24, a JLC, had its last service invoice - EUR1700. I checked with JLC. A service (recommended every 7 years) cost CHF3000 :eek:.

Plus every 7 years that price a dare say will go up ,
I couldn't imagined serving one them as there are well over 300 parts in one

I too like the idea of a perpetual calendar watch, but not at any price. During lockdown I was losing track of which day it was and also wondering what to do if the battery on my quartz watch failed when jewellers were closed. I solved both problems and the perpetual one, by buying a Casio Lineage radio controlled solar watch. Always accurate to the second, no battery changes, titanium and likely to last a good while and all for £220. I admire vintage mechanical watches like Omega, Longines orJLC but the costs just don’t stack up for me, so I scratch that itch by buying 19thC mechanical clocks with the works on display such as skeleton or carriage clocks. And compared to vintage watches, relatively inexpensive.

Is it April 1st ? No, bitch, it's Kermit Day!
34635_1920x1080-History-ds.jpg

A question no-one was asking, but... very very nice none-the-less.

Is it April 1st ? No, bitch, it's Kermit Day!
34635_1920x1080-History-ds.jpg

A question no-one was asking, but... very very nice none-the-less.
Hmm. I like green watches, in fact I have 3, and I have a bike in a similar colour (Kawasaki green/yellow) , but that's very much an acquired taste!

Do these generally need repair/servicing when you buy them? How do costs compare?
Some come recently serviced, the best with a comprehensive service report. More often, this is a bit opaque and you end up getting it serviced locally. I now use a local craftsman I trust; the most recent was a French 4 glass clock with striking train which IIRC was properly serviced for about £350.

…Thats unusual normally its works try crown down see if that works would be interesting, but honestly that level of time keep is amazing
I had a new AP once and that at its best was 9s plus a day , Rolex offer +2s -2s a day, I personally would be happy after all there are over 86k
in a day yours is just losing 2 what's very good Sir
Bazza you’re a genius Sir, I won’t pretend to understand why mechanically but with a 16 hour wear pattern and 8 hours off placed crown down the daily accuracy is now -1s per day. It’s time I added a photo of course

not the clearest shot alas but for those that don’t the know the Ocean Diver these have silicon hairspring, helium escape valve, 600m in bragging rights (of which 598m will never be tested of course, lol)

Bazza you’re a genius Sir, I won’t pretend to understand why mechanically but with a 16 hour wear pattern and 8 hours off placed crown down the daily accuracy is now -1s per day.
If you turn the thing upside down the bearings are in a different orientation so there will be a minuscule difference in the friction observed, and this *may* be enough to affect the operation of the oscillating weights.

not the clearest shot alas but for those that don’t the know the Ocean Diver these have silicon hairspring, helium escape valve, 600m in bragging rights (of which 598m will never be tested of course, lol)
2m? That's a deep washing up bowl.

Bazza you’re a genius Sir, I won’t pretend to understand why mechanically but with a 16 hour wear pattern and 8 hours off placed crown down the daily accuracy is now -1s per day. It’s time I added a photo of course

Glad to hear that Paul plus the watch really looks great

The reason why it works is because the balance wheel is no longer going back and fore on a horizontal plane but is now fighting gravitate as its in a vertical one :)

advertisement

Back