advertisement

The Car cleaning section , Please join in

Yeah screens are laminated but the outers are still just glass. I thought the Rockwell hardness scale decided what could scratch what?

Yeah screens are laminated but the outers are still just glass. I thought the Rockwell hardness scale decided what could scratch what?
It does, but I don't know what it is about nylon scouting pads that makes them hard enough to damage glass.

Windscreen wipers can scratch the windscreen; more so if they're not looked after/cleaned/changed etc...

So a scouring pad will easily make a mess!

The nylon scourers usually have abrasive particles incorporated. They are certainly abrasive enough when new to polish metals.

Makes sense, I wonder what they put on them. Screens have no trouble with wire wool obviously, same with Stanley knife blades.

Makes sense, I wonder what they put on them. Screens have no trouble with wire wool obviously, same with Stanley knife blades.
I looked it up, turns out that nylon scouring pads have abrasive particles (various minerals etc) in the actual nylon filaments as a filler, as the soft nylon wears away the abrasive particles are exposed. This explains why the ones used in industry for metal polishing and paint prep come in different grades.

On another note, I took advantage of the rain to wash my car. No rinsing needed for most of it. That will do for a month or so, I might even shovel out the footwells if it dries up later.

Mine's all properly clean underneath now :D

S2000-20221102-001.jpg

S2000-20221102-002.jpg

S2000-20221102-003.jpg

S2000-20221102-006.jpg

S2000-20221102-005.jpg

Mine's all properly clean underneath now :D

S2000-20221102-001.jpg

S2000-20221102-002.jpg

S2000-20221102-003.jpg

S2000-20221102-006.jpg

S2000-20221102-005.jpg

I do love a well looked after S2K :D Never been able to fit in one, but always wanted one still haha...

My pals had a few in recently; one that they fully rebuilt/restored too; took them quite a while, lots of little piles of rust kept appearing every time they moved something or took it off the car haha

Some advice needed people... What’s the best product to get staining out of automotive leather? The current car has white (well, pale grey) seats, and they’re already becoming marked by jeans and other clothes dyes.

I tried mild “household” cleaners (micellar water, vinegar solution) with no luck, and I won’t risk anything tougher. As I’ll have to get something specific, I’d better get something good, so all suggestions welcome - thanks!

I looked it up, turns out that nylon scouring pads have abrasive particles (various minerals etc) in the actual nylon filaments as a filler, as the soft nylon wears away the abrasive particles are exposed. This explains why the ones used in industry for metal polishing and paint prep come in different grades.

On another note, I took advantage of the rain to wash my car. No rinsing needed for most of it. That will do for a month or so, I might even shovel out the footwells if it dries up later.

Still haven't got around to taking it off the screen ha!

Some advice needed people... What’s the best product to get staining out of automotive leather? The current car has white (well, pale grey) seats, and they’re already becoming marked by jeans and other clothes dyes.

I tried mild “household” cleaners (micellar water, vinegar solution) with no luck, and I won’t risk anything tougher. As I’ll have to get something specific, I’d better get something good, so all suggestions welcome - thanks!

I used this kit on my previous F01 730D that had ivory leather:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00C3Z8DAY/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

It did a superb job alongside a soft bristled nail brush and elbow grease...

Apparently Pears Soap works wonders too...

I've used that same kit on my current F31 interior (black) and it was disgusting! It's not any more, looks/feels & smells much better :)

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
my car had its annual wash today - was in for a service and the nice people at pork wash it for you......

Lash a bit of Fairy on it, wipe it over with a rag, leave the rain and the wipers to finish the job. You might need a few goes.

The problem is, Steve, I can't do it at home so I've got to take the stuff somewhere else and do it, which is a whole other level of ball ache I can't be doing with at the minute. I may be able to do it this weekend as I'm visiting my Dad, I could do it there.

The problem is, Steve, I can't do it at home so I've got to take the stuff somewhere else and do it, which is a whole other level of ball ache I can't be doing with at the minute. I may be able to do it this weekend as I'm visiting my Dad, I could do it there.
What, you service commercial kitchen equipment and nobody can give you a bit of Fairy and a rag for you to have a go in the car park? You're not asking a favour of the right people!

advertisement

Back