advertisement

Driving Etiquette - U Turns

I can't reveal my sources, I'll have to dig out the documentary as I haven't seen it since it was first aired, probably worth a watch at some point just as a reminder of how corrupt the processed food industry is.

Glad to see my ignore is off, I'll reply to more of your ranty posts now :)
You're hallucinating again. If it weren't early on a Monday I'd imagine that you were on the pop. FWIW I never bothered putting you on ignore, I have that function myself.
Now you'll have to excuse me, I have some babies to mince so I can make more ready meals.

I *knew* that was the mystery ingredient in Goblin mini meat puddings.
Heh heh heh. We only put a *little* bit in but once you've got the taste for it nothing else will do, and you'll always come back for more. After all, we all know: "When you need a proper pudding, nothing beats gobblin' a Goblin!"

My car (an automatic, Volvo) has a stop-start function so the engine stops when stationary and restarts as you make to move off. It’s only operational if you keep your foot on the brake pedal, because it relies on you taking your foot off the brake as its cue to restart.

All the automatics I've driven with stop-start (including both our current cars) also have an brake auto-hold function and the combination of the two works well. I've no idea if the brake lights are on when the auto-hold is on though!

All the automatics I've driven with stop-start (including both our current cars) also have an brake auto-hold function and the combination of the two works well. I've no idea if the brake lights are on when the auto-hold is on though!
The brake lights on our Passat are on if the car is stationary, in Drive, auto-hold on. It’s easy to tell if you try it out with something reflective behind the car, at night.

The brake lights on our Passat are on if the car is stationary, in Drive, auto-hold on. It’s easy to tell if you try it out with something reflective behind the car, at night.
Seems like an odd choice. After all, the convention (and law) was that brake lights were on the foot brake only and the handbrake/parking brake didn't operate the lights.

Seems like an odd choice. After all, the convention (and law) was that brake lights were on the foot brake only and the handbrake/parking brake didn't operate the lights.
Well, electric parking brakes have been around for over twenty years, and fairly commonplace since about 2008/9. I’ll leave that there :)

Central London. Great place to live, terrible place to work.

I have engaged couriers and contractors to move and install large volumes of things around zone 1 and did it all OOH. Cheaper, more convenient and quicker. I feel for anyone that has to move stuff about in central London without a courier during office hours. Especially if it's in your own vehicle. I would be seeking every opportunity to minimise the need to do so.

My car (an automatic, Volvo) has a stop-start function so the engine stops when stationary and restarts as you make to move off. It’s only operational if you keep your foot on the brake pedal, because it relies on you taking your foot off the brake as its cue to restart.

It’s a bit daft, as putting on the (electronic) parking brake disables the stop-start option.

So I must apologise to anybody behind me I may have dazzled in traffic. It isn’t my fault, guv, honest.
My 2014 Peugeot Bipper has that too. But it only works for about 10 seconds, and then restarts! Pretty useless, so I turned it off. It is also thirstier than the identical manual version I had before, which I much preferred, but my wife didn't.

I didn't find it a terrible place to work, however in the 5 years I was working there I always made sure I had good public transport options to the office. In all that time I didn't commute by car even once.

Weird but I believe it! ;). The jury's out as to whether brake lights come on for electronic braking in autos (and I suspect not). Despite auto take-up in this country increasing these past decades, I doubt that in a line of, say, 10 stationary cars, more than 10% is an auto.

The RAC, in one of its excellent monthly-ish email bulletins containing tips, news, reviews and all things motoring, listed 7 reasons why manual car drivers should always use the handbrake when stationary for more than a short period. I can remember some of them, of which 3 or so were connected with driver and pedestrian safety and others concerned with unnecessary wear 'n' tear. I think it concluded with the observation that if you've got a (manual) handbrake, use it; to not do so was tantamount to carelessness at best.

Not sure why those bulletins have stopped coming; maybe my insurer has changed its breakdown company.

You're hallucinating again. If it weren't early on a Monday I'd imagine that you were on the pop. FWIW I never bothered putting you on ignore, I have that function myself.
Now you'll have to excuse me, I have some babies to mince so I can make more ready meals.

Thankfully, I don't drink, and self acclaimed badge of honour for mincing baby animals tells more than it doesn't.

And if I do get a moment later, I'll dig out the post where you said I was 'back on ignore'. You're getting so very forgetful these days Stevie, but we've known that for a while.

Weird but I believe it! ;). The jury's out as to whether brake lights come on for electronic braking in autos (and I suspect not). Despite auto take-up in this country increasing these past decades, I doubt that in a line of, say, 10 stationary cars, more than 10% is an auto.

The RAC, in one of its excellent monthly-ish email bulletins containing tips, news, reviews and all things motoring, listed 7 reasons why manual car drivers should always use the handbrake when stationary for more than a short period. I can remember some of them, of which 3 or so were connected with driver and pedestrian safety and others concerned with unnecessary wear 'n' tear. I think it concluded with the observation that if you've got a (manual) handbrake, use it; to not do so was tantamount to carelessness at best.

Not sure why those bulletins have stopped coming; maybe my insurer has changed its breakdown company.

Autos have been outselling manuals for a few years now, and every EV (and hybrid?) is an auto/doesn’t have manual.

Thankfully, I don't drink, and self acclaimed badge of honour for mincing baby animals tells more than it doesn't.

And if I do get a moment later, I'll dig out the post where you said I was 'back on ignore'. You're getting so very forgetful these days Stevie, but we've known that for a while.
Not so forgetful as to forget what a waste of electrons your "contributions" are.

Its become much worse since the introduction of LTN's, Low Traffic Neighbourhoods that have caused major congestion, and lots of drivers being stuck in what would have been a few minutes route correction can often a round trip of an hour to get back to where they were going to correct their mistake.

So, you'll see more of these three point turns happening, you'll have to get used to it I am afraid. One can blame Boris (who came up with the idea) and his allies in Kahn and the Labour boroughs of London (unsurprisingly, after the hell LTN's haven proven to cause, the Tory boroughs mostly removed theirs, the Labour boroughs increased them - it all goes back to local councils being stripped of funding by the Tories, and now cashing in on the motorist even more with millions a month in fines).

I cannot drive down my road one way anymore, the amount of drivers doing U-turns before they go through the LTN camera is ridiculous, what was once a

A

I have engaged couriers and contractors to move and install large volumes of things around zone 1 and did it all OOH. Cheaper, more convenient and quicker. I feel for anyone that has to move stuff about in central London without a courier during office hours. Especially if it's in your own vehicle. I would be seeking every opportunity to minimise the need to do so.

That’s why I go early, much less traffic, no parking charges and you can park on single yellows. I get a lot of stuff delivered to a building in Holborn and collect it from there.

Cheers BB

I drive about 30,000 miles per year, a lot of it in Greater and Central London. I see a lot of bad driving and usually I just let it wash over me and don’t get stressed. I’ve noticed lately though people seem to think it’s okay to perform a u-turn, on busy roads, often involving at least a 3 point turn. The result is both lanes of traffic having to stop and wait. The way London traffic lights are weighted it often means having to wait through another sequence of lights. It’s starting to wind me up. On Friday I counted, it happened 4 times in 90 minutes. If I’m going the wrong way I wait for the next exit, turn off and get myself back on track. I do sometimes have to do a u-turn but it’s in a quiet street. Black cabs do it a lot but they’re designed so they can usually do it in one manoeuvre which is fine. Am I being unnecessarily touchy?

Cheers BB
Quite agree with you society in general does not give a hoot about anyone else, all about me.

advertisement

Back