advertisement

Loudspeakers You Wish To Try But Probably Won't Own In This Lifetime

Having been very happy with my Kudos Cardea C20a, I wouldnt mind giving their flagship floorstanders a go. Everything else I'd like to try just will not fit... IMF TLS80's, big Tannoys, Quad ELS63, Apogee Scintilla......

My very short wish-list includes:
  • B&O Beolab 90
  • Sonus Faber Extrema and Guarneri (original versions)
  • Infinity IRS V
  • JBL Everest DD67000
  • ATC SCM300ASLT
I'll keep dreaming ...

Classic:
Sonus Faber Extrema
Tannoy Westminster
Apogee Scintilla

Contemporary:
B&W Nautilus
Axhorn AX Jet Pro
Abbingdon Music Research LS-77
Node Hylixa
Clarisys Audio Minuet
Diapason Astera
Larsen 9
Kharma Ceramique Classic
German Physiks Gaudi III

I'd love a pair of there https://alsyvox.com/

Realistically the only speakers I would like to explore would be very efficient horn subwoofers and various amplifiers. I'll probably keep my Sonus Faber Extema's and pair of Living Voice tone Scouts and appreciate I was lucky at the time I bought them 25 and 10 years ago

Avalon Isis for me.

Loa%20Avalon%20Isis%201.jpg

Good question, enjoyed reading replies. I’m thinking Shahinian, Vivid, Art, big Tannoys, big ATC’s, Wilson Benesch as speakers I’d love to try. All based of course in owner reports.

From your list I think the Focal Sopras might be the ones which could closely claim to be truly state of art.

Top of my list were the Sonus Faber Electa Amator 1.

I’m a big fan of their classic 2-way monitors, having owned the Cremona Auditor, Signum, Minima Amator, Electa Amator 2, Guarneri Memento, Concertino & Concerto. I found the Minima Amator to be particularly brilliant, and the EAII to be a little disappointing, especially HF. The Guarneri was second to none for craftsmanship, and had a good bit of magic, but the low end was too restricted for my taste (I think the original Guarneri is even more limited in that respect). Anyway, I’ve been on the casual lookout for a good pair of EA1s for years. I’d resigned myself to never own a set mainly because they’re so rarely available. But a great set cropped up a few weeks ago and I jumped on it. Very pleased that I did - such a well rounded, musical and engaging speaker. Fantastic top end thanks to the Esotar tweeter, and they do the big sound from a small box thing brilliantly. They don’t compete with the Dynaudio Confidence 20 for resolution, insight, precision, outright power handling (technology does advance), but they’re just so listenable. A great reason to keep two systems.

That aside, I’d love to try the following but probably never will:

- Quad ESL
- Martin Logan CLS
- ATC SCM150A
- Dutch&Dutch 8C
- Sonus Faber Extrema / Extr3ma
- KEF Blade

I would love to try some Yammy NS1000. Don't think I have ever heard a pair.

Quad Electrostatics of any flavour - I have heard most at exhibitions and a shop, but never in a domestic place. My room is not that small, but still not big enough to entertain the idea of trying some.

Any of the big classic Tannoys. Heard Westminsters at a dealer when I was buying my TDL Studio 1's in Wolverhampton many years ago. The room was too small so it was a bit overwhelming!

let's face it the best upgrade is probably a bigger house.

I'd particularly like to listen to a pair of the smaller MBLs at home, but I'd also be interested to hear active speakers like the D&Ds, the new Dynaudio Focus range, the bigger B&Os and the Buchardt A700s. I'm still perfectly happy listening to the SCM40As and the Genelecs I have though.

I was wondering if there's anybody here who aspires to own loudspeakers that probably won't make it to the room (in this lifetime) as you have settled down with the speaker(s) of your dreams. Your endgame speakers so to speak.

For me, these are few loudspeakers I wish to try/own, only in my dreams;

Proac D2R / D20R
Kudos Titan 505/606
Dynaudio Heritage Special
ATC SCM19
B&W 805 D4
Focal Sopra N1

There may be more but these are the realistic down-to-earth options.

Ultra high-end speakers which appealed to me because of their elegant good looks although I"m not sure if it sounds any good.

Focal Stella Utopia EM Evo
Found the Kudos 505 to be great and reasonable ex demo available usually

I was wondering if there's anybody here who aspires to own loudspeakers that probably won't make it to the room (in this lifetime) as you have settled down with the speaker(s) of your dreams. Your endgame speakers so to speak.

For me, these are few loudspeakers I wish to try/own, only in my dreams;

Proac D2R / D20R
Kudos Titan 505/606
Dynaudio Heritage Special
ATC SCM19
B&W 805 D4
Focal Sopra N1

There may be more but these are the realistic down-to-earth options.

Ultra high-end speakers which appealed to me because of their elegant good looks although I"m not sure if it sounds any good.

Focal Stella Utopia EM Evo
I would go for Sonus Faber Guarneri

I’d like to hear some of the larger models from the Martin Logan ESL range, but I’m not sure of their compatibility with Naim amplifiers.

I’d like to try a full range single driver speaker without crossover, are they any good.
A friend of mine owns some, the Hornmanufaktur A90IIs, driven by a 1-Watt tube amp in a comfortably large living room. I don’t think they lack extension as far as ‘normal’ music and loudness are concerned. In fact, I find them perfectly listenable and rather pleasant.

I’d like to try big active ATC’s and Martin Logan’s, would be very happy to return to Shahinian Onelisks.

I’d love to hear some big Tidals, but much like Avalons, their looks are not for me.

advertisement

Back