advertisement

Use of Stax amplifier (Japanese version 100V) in Europe (230V)

Konrad

Hi folks,
this is my first thread here and i hope to find an answer to this question since i could only find some bits and pieces but no real fact-based reliable information. I‘m rather frequently visiting Japan and got to know how much lower the Japanese MSRPs for Stax products were, so i thought of buying an amplifier and earspeaker and bring it back to Germany. I am aware of the warranty being valid only domestically. As i‘m focusing on the current product lineup, such as the SRM400s, SRM500t or higher models which dont have a voltage switch anymore as in the past and wonder if they could be used in Germany with a transformer to downstep from 230V to 100V. 50/60 Hz shouldn’t be an issue, but what gets me confused is that some expert opinion (stax retailer) is not suggesting to do that since the higher voltage might deteriorate the lifetime of the amp and affect the bias pwer of the earpeakers. It is easy to find conventional transformers in Japan to be used for Japanese applicances in Europe, but are there any other things (polarisation?) to mind? Would it audibly affect the sound quality?
I hope to find some advise based on experience.
Thanks and enjoy your music,
Konrad

If the item is found on import there will be VAT and duty to pay.

If you use the proper transformer, the unit sees only what it should see - it will be unaware that it is in Europe as opposed to Japan.

Hi Vinny,
I‘m not much concerned about customs and taxes, since i may have it bought by my Japanese family and declare it as used products which would bypass taxes.
But more on the technical side, are there any necessary requirements for the transformer or should a normal one bought in Japan for 100V—>230V do the job? I guess having twice the power as a buffer (eg a 100W transformer for a 40W amp) is better. i am a bit afraid of blowing expensive stuff up…also i wouldn’t want to sacrifice on its sound quality.
Thanks again for further advise.

I use Japanese head amp's on a simple 240/100V 50VA UK-made auto-transformer and they are absolutely fine. The TX cost me around E45.
Using an over-rated TX achieves nothing (there are none available at less than 50VA in Europe).
Used product or not, importation will attract tax and duty if it is found (it does in the UK, and I believe that UK and EU laws are still the same).

Thats very good to hear, great news. Retailers normally would say that this was not recommended etc. but i doubted that they would honestly speak up their mind if doing so would mean selling fewer products on their side.
As for taxes, as said in my experience nothing will be found anyway and even if it would still remain cheaper.

A great deal of Japanese electrical equipment is non-polar - a lot operates on reversible two-pin. The head amps here are non-polar.

So that argument is mostly nonsense

Sorry for my lack of knowledge on the electronics, but i guess youre saying that iam basically good to go with the transformer? What about polarity inverter adapers, are these needed at all?
I mean, yes, i also run japanese lamps etc, in Germany using a small transformer without any issues at all.

Lamps - mostly they are non-polar - in the UK they are certainly non-polar in domestic installations as we use bayonet (B22) caps for most and similar in other fittings.

If a Japanese item has a non-polar (two-pin) plug on it, it cannot possibly be polar.

Not all two-pin plugs are non-polar

Thanks a lot for these valuable and experience-based deets. Much appreciated. I‘ll go forward with my plan and will have a nice buy in May/June. I’ll sit down in somewhere in Tokyo to have a listen and decide. My gut feeling was right that the german dealer who wanted to talk me out of buying 100V appliances was doing so out of his business interests.

advertisement

Back