advertisement

Dark Side Of The Moon 50th Anniversary

I noticed the LP is currently £19.99 @Amazon but was £16.01 not to long ago. As it is a preorder (I heard somewhere regards charging cheapest price during this time) does that mean I can have it for £16.01?

A little while later.......

Ha ha ha! Just done some poking around on Amazon & found out that this is a no go since it only applies from the point of order & not the lowest price since availability of preorder :(

Dark Side Of The Moon At Audio Show Deluxe
At precisely Noon on Saturday (25th) we are hoping to have all our exhibitors simultaneously play the whole of the song TIME from Pink Floyd’s Dark Side Of The Moon – all six minutes and fifty-three seconds of it, including the clocks at the beginning of the track. We think this will be an exciting and somewhat fitting celebration for this record’s fiftieth anniversary

Excellent article here in The Quietus contrasting DSOTM with The Final Cut (which I’ve never even heard) and discussing the decline into absurdity ever since.

PS The live album & anniversary box set are released tomorrow. I’ve had dispatch notification from Amazon for the live album I ordered. Monetised links for on the first page of this thread, please use them if ordering as it does help keep pfm afloat. In fact use them to buy anything from Amazon!

How much was it initially on Amazon ?
I was charged £19.99 when I have got feeling that it was less in the preorder

How much was it initially on Amazon ?
I was charged £19.99 when I have got feeling that it was less in the preorder

It felt quite cheap for a modern record, I think £17.99, but I can’t remember. I just hope the pressing is decent, the recent Animals remix was apparently awful. Mike from The In Groove said he was returning about 40% of those!

It felt quite cheap for a modern record, I think £17.99, but I can’t remember. I just hope the pressing is decent, the recent Animals remix was apparently awful. Mike from The In Groove said he was returning about 40% of those!

Because of the pressing quality or the re- mix quality Tony?:D

Because of the pressing quality or the re- mix quality Tony?:D

Pressing. Vast numbers apparently arriving with very obvious pressing faults, high noise etc.

PS I heard a couple of tracks on YouTube and the remix really isn’t for me. I don’t like messing with history anyway, but this lost what I liked at the time - I bought it new, though no longer have a copy (I’d actually like one, but the mint 1st press I’d want are rather spendy now). Animals is what it is. The dark murky sound is part of the backdrop both of the politics it was attacking and the darker alienated punk/new-wave aesthetic of the time Floyd found themselves cut adrift in. The remix pretties it up and makes it sound like normal dad-rock. It takes away any edge it may once have had.

Pressing. Vast numbers apparently arriving with very obvious pressing faults, high noise etc.

PS I heard a couple of tracks on YouTube and the remix really isn’t for me. I don’t like messing with history anyway, but this lost what I liked at the time - I bought it new, though no longer have a copy (I’d actually like one, but the mint 1st press I’d want are rather spendy now). Animals is what it is. The dark murky sound is part of the backdrop both of the politics it was attacking and the darker alienated punk/new-wave aesthetic of the time Floyd found themselves cut adrift in. The remix pretties it up and makes it sound like normal dad-rock. It takes away any edge it may once have had.

I too am a leave the greats well alone!

Nice quiet and clean pressing although both sides are cut to within around 8mm of the label. Not a surprise at 55 mins long, nearly 32 of which is side two.

In terms of the music it's different enough to the studio LP to enjoy now and again. Any Colour You Like being a highlight.

Nice quiet and clean pressing although both sides are cut to within around 8mm of the label. Not a surprise at 55 mins long, nearly 32 of which is side two.

Are you sure that’s right? I thought they’d edited it down to fit. No room at all for dynamic range in a 32 minute side!

I would need to play it again and time it but it felt about that. I took the timings off Apple Music and assumed it would be the same. Dynamic range wasn't to bad, I suspect because its cut across so much of the side.

Pretty sure you’ll find they’ve lopped at least five minutes out, likely more. 32 minutes is barely possible with rock. IIRC every extra minute over a 18-20 minute side equates to a 1db cut of headroom. That would be 12db down! DMM, computer lathe-control etc may get a little back if there are very long quiet bits, but even so it is stretching possibility.

advertisement

Back