advertisement

"Asteroid 2023 DZ2"...

Where do we stand with the ability to shoot down space objects? Back in the seventies I did my first university work place from the Physics Dept of Brunel University at SERL Baldock, long gone and absorbed into RRE Malvern. I was working on the team using High Power pulsed CO2 lasers that the Daily Express ran a story on saying they were designated for Regan's Star Wars program. Does the world have any ability to deploy such technology?

Where do we stand with the ability to shoot down space objects? Back in the seventies I did my first university work place from the Physics Dept of Brunel University at SERL Baldock, long gone and absorbed into RRE Malvern. I was working on the team using High Power pulsed CO2 lasers that the Daily Express ran a story on saying they were designated for Regan's Star Wars program. Does the world have any ability to deploy such technology?
Probably not by the weekend

Ahh for the days when the press, probably the Beeb, would have covered this - if at all - with calm English understatement.

Unfortunately, Mar-a-Lago is in Palm Beach, and the Governor’s mansion is in Tallahassee. Will have to pick one, then wait for another flying rock to get the other. Decisions, decisions…

If the strike were at an acute angle perhaps the rock might bounce ? First hit Mar-a-Lago, second Governor’s mansion in Tallahassee.
At that point I think I might be persuaded of the existence of God.

If the strike were at an acute angle perhaps the rock might bounce ? First hit Mar-a-Lago, second Governor’s mansion in Tallahassee.
At that point I think I might be persuaded of the existence of God.

Amen!

Thanks for the update on Dart, shows we have a usable tool to deal with potential strikes from Space
What happens next is that the asteroid we deflected, ever so slightly, moves out of its long-term stable location. That, in turn, disturbs the asteroids in its immediate vicinity, ever so slightly. The orbital mechanics equivalent of the butterfly flapping its wings in the rain forest. A thousand years from now, our descendants will face a rain of planet-killer asteroids the like of which we have not seen since the birth of the solar system.

advertisement

Back