advertisement

what was the last piece of hifi you bought

Almarro A205a MkII with upgraded Vcaps. Bookend for an amazing Sparkler Ether. I'm turning Japanese..turning Japanese....I really think so...

I’m not sure that it strictly counts as “hi-fi”, although it may have done once, but fate (with a little help, admittedly…) has reunited me with the item I regretted not buying at the Tonbridge Audiojumble.

j6tvxII.jpg

I’m not sure that it strictly counts as “hi-fi”, although it may have done once, but fate (with a little help, admittedly…) has reunited me with the item I regretted not buying at the Tonbridge Audiojumble.

j6tvxII.jpg
Record cutter? I’m guessing the wheels keep the vinyl from slipping on the turntable with the drag from the cutter. Also it looks automatic, like it’ll cut a stack.

j6tvxII.jpg

Just googled this and found some YouTube videos - what a fantastic and completely bonkers bit of kit!

having got a 505 myself the temptation to save for the Luxman CD player is strong - how are you getting in with it?

It’s a nice piece of kit, built like a tank, sounds like my old Marantz SA14S1SE. I’m using it mostly for CD playback and using the internal dac for the TV. Not played any MQA stuff yet, so can’t comment on that yet.

Sewing machines have changed a lot since I were a lad.

Seriously though, what is it? And what's your plan to get it going?

It’s a Markel Playmaster from the 1950s and is an autochanger that uses a double-sided pickup head and those three idler wheels on sticks to play both sides of the record.

Video of it doing its stuff here:

It was a US product so they’re rare over here but this one has the correct 50Hz motor pulley and came with its manuals, service sheets, four new old stock pickup heads and some letters between Markel and Sir William Garthwaite, who purchased it from them originally.

As to my plans, I shall clean and service it and then use it to play my 180g audiophile LPs, six at a time!

Just picked up a pair of Beyerdynamic T5 G3 headphones along with a Hugo 2. Still to set it up, but sounded awesome in my dealers on the same dsm set up as mine.

Project The Classic turntable, and a Rega Fono MC, both (separately) from eBay.

Great deal on the turntable, and exactly the kind of seller you hope for. Lot’s of nice equipment, everything immaculate, all the packaging.

Bit of a landmark purchase for me, freighted with symbolism. I sold my last turntable when my first child was born. He’s 15 now, so time to see if I get back into vinyl. Or sell the lot and invest in a great DAC.

Bit of a project I thought, then I saw Beoblokes latest purchase!!

sNP9RXmh.jpg

sNP9RXmh.jpg
[/URL]

Looks OK under the grot. Apparently not been run this century, everything spins pretty smoothly, so strip, clean, lube and see what it does...

Then make a pretty plinth for it!

A faulty ifi iphono2 phono stage which has no sound output via the moving coil input, to use as a moving magnet input in the system in the lounge. Sounds great, not sure what the issue is with the MC input and probably will never bother testing it to try and find out, just pleased to have something so physically small that it fits on the rack behind the LPs and frees up shelf space for other things.

advertisement

Back