advertisement

Downsizing to a Solid State Integrated amp

I'd second the Crayon CIA 1T. I bought one after two Luxmans (one SS one valve), and a Leben Valve amp. It's different to all those which make music much as you'd expect...beautifully normally and reliably, so good retirement amps. The Crayon just sounds better to me. But you need to hear one. One caveat. It needs warm up time. Never audition one cold. They sound just ordinary at best. Ten mins it sounds good. 15 mins you sit to listen. 20 mins it's right on song. If you can be patient then the song is worth the wait. Very good integrated phono stage to boot.

I’ve resisted suggesting the amp I now own for two reasons.

1. It’s 35% over your budget
2. It’s the amplifier I own, and am in danger of becoming a bore over.

Regards 1., whenever did budgets not get exceeded? :)

Regards 2., apologies, but I have to recommend a listen to it - unless 1. really is a deal breaker.

Avid Integra. Really noticeably better than the Bryston B135-3 it replaced, and the Sugden IA-4 spoken about up-thread, which I had for a while.

FWIW I’d also recommend Fanthorpes if you are tempted to audition.

A stereo 300B amp. An SMPS, no output transformers, but the speakers were driven by a string of mosfets modulated by a single 300B per channel.

Doesn't sound as if you could hang out your washing on it, Graham (Siegfried Line? Sorry, my twisted humour !)

Reactions: GT
1. It’s 35% over your budget
2. It’s the amplifier I own, and am in danger of becoming a bore over.

Regards 1., whenever did budgets not get exceeded? :)

Nice. The Avid Integra lists for £8,500. In my book, "entry-level" reference amps cost between £7,000 to £9,000, MSRP. If the OP can consider used, then perhaps his price range of £4,000 to £6,000 can get him one.

Thanks to @RossB i have his SPL Elector pre and S800 power on loan. While it isn’t an integrated it is a smaller form unit and fits on one shelf on my hifi rack. That is side by side. It drives my Grahams with ease.

Well, just back from the Audition, which included the Hegel 390, Luxman 509X and 507Z, then finally the AVM 6.2. The first thing I would say is that I am reassured that going from a valve pre/power to a solid state integrated doesn't have to mean a big drop in performance. All were excellent, but the voicing left me with with clear preferences. The AVM was very transparent and neutral, but not really to my taste. It seems I enjoy colouration. The 507 and Hegel were about equal, with a different but excellent sound. The 509X was the winner by a head, not a nose. Slightly on the warm side, but transparent, dynamic and even across the frequency range. I could happily live with all of them, except perhaps the AVM. Now to sell the ARC ref 75SE and Modwright.

The modwright will sell fast if you dont ask silly prices depending whether old type with toggles or new type with buttons . Is graham still around these days ? He serviced 2 of mine in didcot

Nice. The Avid Integra lists for £8,500. In my book, "entry-level" reference amps cost between £7,000 to £9,000, MSRP. If the OP can consider used, then perhaps his price range of £4,000 to £6,000 can get him one.
No remote

Another vote for anything Luxman. Simpler, Japanese quality, full of options and controls and great classic sound that makes them all-arounders, allowing you to enjoy any genre of music. The newish 507z is literally a forever-amp. I have the Class A 590axII and it has made Naim sound like children's toys.

Well, just back from the Audition, which included the Hegel 390, Luxman 509X and 507Z, then finally the AVM 6.2. The first thing I would say is that I am reassured that going from a valve pre/power to a solid state integrated doesn't have to mean a big drop in performance. All were excellent, but the voicing left me with with clear preferences. The AVM was very transparent and neutral, but not really to my taste. It seems I enjoy colouration. The 507 and Hegel were about equal, with a different but excellent sound. The 509X was the winner by a head, not a nose. Slightly on the warm side, but transparent, dynamic and even across the frequency range. I could happily live with all of them, except perhaps the AVM. Now to sell the ARC ref 75SE and Modwright.

To make things even worse, the new Lux 509z is forthcoming but will cost a pretty penny.

I've very much enjoyed my Modwright LS36.5 pre with Audio Research Ref 75SE power amp, the latter in particular, is wonderful. I am not getting any younger, who is and I want to simplify things and maybe reduce power consumption. I use sensitive 95db speakers, so megawatts aren't a priority. I like all genres of music, except heavy rock, including Classical, opera Jazz, Blues, Singer Songwriters.
If I sell my pre power-, I will be looking in the £4000 to 6000 range, for a solid state integrated. Having heard the Hegel 190 at the Bristol show, the Hegel 390 is top of the list. I've always fancied a Luxman, so the 505 is possible in this price range, or Accuphase, the E280. The other thought is the Sugden Masterclass IA4, or NVA 50.

Any thoughts or new suggestions, gratefully received.
I have hear the Accuphase and they are a great piece of kit, beautifully made

"The modwright will sell fast if you dont ask silly prices depending whether old type with toggles or new type with buttons . Is graham still around these days ? He serviced 2 of mine in didcot"

It has buttons not toggle switches. I am not sure what it's worth, there is little to find about previouis second hand sales. It cast about £4800 I believe, mine was ex dem.

I am told the Lux 509Z will come in about £15000, believe it or not

advertisement

Back