advertisement

Tea retailer

Thanks for the various recommendations! I did try the Nothing But Tea email address I'd used in the past to see if I could get any info on if they might 'recover'. But it looks like that is now also now 'broken'. :-/

I'll try some of the recommendations. Ideally, I want someone with a good choice of Darjeelings with some FFs, and who can respond/discuss via email with someone and also send purchase orders / payment via ye olde letter-by-post.

FWIW I can't drink real coffee or alcohols, but fortunately have always preferred decent teas anyway. :)

For some years I've been buying teas from "Nothing But Tea" in the UK. Their website used to be nbtea.co.uk. However they seem to have stopped trading a few months ago! Shame as they'they've always been helpful and the teas have been excellent.

Anyone know if the problem with them is temporary? I'm thinking of getting some more teas. Be a great shame if they will no longer be operational.

If they are now not going to trade, can someone recommend an alternative UK retailer via post who does a good choice of FF Darjeelings, etc. Will also discuss choice, etc, via personal emails. And who I can also order from via ye olde methods like a CC or cheque *via post* not via the web orweb third parties. i.e. good old-fashioned service but with stock details on the web.

Ta.

P.S. I think there's a USA company of a similar name. I don't mean them above, but the UK one

Loose Leaf Tea UK - The Very Best Tea Selections - FAST DISPATCH (wiltshiretea.co.uk)

Wiltshire Tea Company - been using them around 6/7 years. An excellent selection of very good teas, larger quantities, and cheaper than most others. :cool:

As a replacment, I have tried just a very few teas from Grey's Teas and they compare very well with TE.

Loose leaf tea - Grey's Teas (greysteas.co.uk)

I'm about to try out a couple of the 'shops' people have mentioned. I have an inquries email address for one of them, but not for the other - Grey's. If you (or someone else here) has their email address can they please PM me with it. Otherwise I'll send a letter. (I dislike webforms.) Also any comments on the relative merits of the two teapots-with-container designs they offer? As yet we use two 1-cup caffits with the plungers discarded. But I'm thinking of also trying out multiple brews as an experiment.

BTW I note that any FFs which I've seen listed have been 2022 (or 2021) so I guess it is a tad early as yet for 2023...?

[email protected]

Grey's do not seem to offer anything but actual tea. As above, for me, London Teapot Co. teapots are pretty hard to beat, imo. (And undetectable seconds can be found on EPay form time to time.)

Maybe I got muddled, but I thought their website shows two types of teapot with a 'caff' type of inner part to hold the tea leaf. Useful for trying out multiple infusions as well as ensuring 'strained' tea being poured. I'll ask.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Update: I've bought some tea from Grey's, and also some from Rosevear. The people at both were very friendly and helpful. Look like good people to buy from. The selection from Grey's have arrived and we've started using one type - which tastes good. With luck the Rosevear selections will arrive during the coming week. Given that I still have some unopened pouches from 'Nothing But Tea' as well, we're now well stocked and will see which teas we prefer. :)

I also bought one of the 'caff' type glass teapots with its internal 'strainer'. This works well when we want two cups. But for one I'll use my pre-existing one cup tubular caffs. Main possible snag with the bigger teapot is that it is more of a fiddle-about to clean.

Thanks to all here for their input/advice. :)

This works well when we want two cups. But for one I'll use my pre-existing one cup tubular caffs.

I am sure that I have some cups somewhere...............

Otherwise, the smallest form of London Teapot is (or was - a quick search and I can't find one) a mug with an internal strainer (almost the same size as the rather small mug), and lid. Next (?) size up is, from memory, two cup but will make one OK - about 60-70% full it makes me one large mug of tea. The internal strainer from the smallest pot fits a standard mug and although too tall, would fit most cups.

London Pottery 20185 Globe Small Teapot with Strainer, Ceramic, Gloss Black, 2 Cup Capacity (500 ml) : Amazon.co.uk: Home & Kitchen

London Pottery 93032 Replacement Teapot Infuser, Stainless Steel, 2 Cup : Amazon.co.uk: Home & Kitchen

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I am sure that I have some cups somewhere...............

Otherwise, the smallest form of London Teapot is (or was - a quick search and I can't find one) a mug with an internal strainer (almost the same size as the rather small mug), and lid. Next (?) size up is, from memory, two cup but will make one OK - about 60-70% full it makes me one large mug of tea. The internal strainer from the smallest pot fits a standard mug and although too tall, would fit most cups.

FWIW Here the 'mug' type thinwall cup I use holds 300ml, and the smaller cup used by my manager holds 200ml. By mk1 eyeball I found the levels in our new pot that give 500ml and 300ml. The tea /container in the new glass teapot works well. And tests show that I can then use the pot with the same leaves for a 2nd infuse giving fine results.

The tea I'm using at present is Grey's "Darjeeling Oaks FF 2021". Water just off-boil, 4m30sec. I got a variety of teas from them, and another lot is coming from Rosevear. I only open and use one or two teas at a time. Given that I still have some unopened pouchs of teas from "Nothing But Tea" we now have lots which will last us for many months. Although if a specific tea stands out I may buy more to keep in stock. I also have a lot of unopened 'taster' sized pouches from NBT. Try one occasionally as a change. :)

I opened a tin of tea I bought in Harrods 28 years ago and drank it a couple of months ago. It was absolutely fine.

advertisement

Back