advertisement

Govt mobile phone emergency alert

So all freedom loving individuals will switch their phone off obviously but what will ‘the govt’ be doing on their phones when everyone’s not listening? SHTF moment?

I believe the moment you switch it on you'll get the alert.

Some phones you can disable the emergency alert.

If it really is meant to sound an government alert - surely the day the imbeciles voted Liz Truss into the PM role we should have received something then?

What are the chances of the system crashing when millions of phones reply to just one number?
This is going to be a stress test for the mobile networks.

What are the chances of the system crashing when millions of phones reply to just one number?
This is going to be a stress test for the mobile networks.

this is an established technology already in use in other countries.

This is World Beating UK Ltd we are talking about here :)
I remember in days gone bye that "Happy New Year" TXT were coming in at 04.30

I'm looking forward to receiving the message: 'Testing, testing, one-two-three, one-two-three, tch . . . Is this thing working?'

John

https://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/news/glasgow-news/uk-government-test-emergency-phone-20891784

1_tests.jpg

Stand by for the tsunami of memes...

Apparently in Wales the alert will say:-

"Prawf ar Rybuddion Argyfwng yw hwn, sef gwasanaeth newydd gan lywodraeth y DU a fydd yn eich rhybuddio pan fydd argyfwng sy'n berygl i fywyd gerllaw.

Mewn argyfwng go iawn, dilynwch y cyfarwyddiadau yn y rhybudd i'ch cadw chi ac eraill yn ddiogel.

Ewch i gov.uk/alerts i gael rhagor o wybodaeth.

Prawf yw hwn Does dim angen i chi wneud dim."

That should avoid panic and confusion.

Apparently in Wales the alert will say:-

"Prawf ar Rybuddion Argyfwng yw hwn, sef gwasanaeth newydd gan lywodraeth y DU a fydd yn eich rhybuddio pan fydd argyfwng sy'n berygl i fywyd gerllaw.

Mewn argyfwng go iawn, dilynwch y cyfarwyddiadau yn y rhybudd i'ch cadw chi ac eraill yn ddiogel.

Prawf yw hwn Does dim angen i chi wneud dim."

That should avoid panic and confusion.
... hmm. how do they know who speaks Welsh and who doesn’t?

... hmm. how do they know who speaks Welsh and who doesn’t?

selective editing by the poster. The website actually says (you'll note in both Welsh and English):

Wales
The alert will say:

Prawf ar Rybuddion Argyfwng yw hwn, sef gwasanaeth newydd gan lywodraeth y DU a fydd yn eich rhybuddio pan fydd argyfwng sy'n berygl i fywyd gerllaw.

Prawf yw hwn Does dim angen i chi wneud dim.

This is a test of Emergency Alerts, a new UK government service that will warn you if there’s a life-threatening emergency nearby.

In an actual emergency, follow the instructions in the alert to keep yourself and others safe.

Visit gov.uk/alerts for more information.

This is a test. You do not need to take any action.

I was driving in USA when my phone received such an alert. This was several years ago. It was a hurricane/storm alert - and rather useful to know as I was barrelling down the the freeway. It was easy to deal with.

advertisement

Back