advertisement

Tannoy Lancaster 12R refurb.

Hi cooky1257, love the Lancaster build. I'm new to Tannoys, I had posted on the forum seeking advise for an appropriate cabinet DIY for 12" Tannoy Monitor drivers but didn't get any replies to my post. I'm leaning towards Lancaster or rectangular York. Would you say the Lancasters would be better than the York for 12 Reds, Golds & HPDs? I have yet to learn about the port tuning. I'm hoping I can make a larger port and adjust per the drivers as necessary? Thanks for any advice or feedback.

It's been 50 years so high time to remove and re-fluff the damping material, add more sound deadening and begin to replace all the old stained off-white calico with new sexy black....
I bagged out each panel's damping separately so as to maintain the original amounts in each section.

52735792377_cbb68c262a_c.jpg

52736796878_d4bb85908f_c.jpg

52736728425_08b1d880f7_c.jpg

52736567919_cbc4cf85dc_c.jpg

52735792162_99b346bb49_c.jpg

It's a mix of wool and cotton waste. When re-fluffing it I could either tear it, shred it or peel it off in layers and once done I did wonder how I was going to fit it all back in.

Hi @cooky1257
Excellent and thorough refurbishment. I am interested in your use of a rubber reviver on the speaker surrounds, as I have wondered about doing something similar with my Rega Ela mk1 bass units.
I have used a product called “Gummy Phledge” on my car door seals to good effect, but have held back on using it on my speakers as I was wondering whether it would affect the compliance/elasticity of the surround - had a look on the web and there seem to be differing views, I would be very interested in your thoughts and which product you have used.

best wishes.

Hi @cooky1257
Excellent and thorough refurbishment. I am interested in your use of a rubber reviver on the speaker surrounds, as I have wondered about doing something similar with my Rega Ela mk1 bass units.
I have used a product called “Gummy Phledge” on my car door seals to good effect, but have held back on using it on my speakers as I was wondering whether it would affect the compliance/elasticity of the surround - had a look on the web and there seem to be differing views, I would be very interested in your thoughts and which product you have used.

best wishes.
I used Liqui Moly Gummy Phledge, appy a very small amount to a cloth and carefully wipe around the surround, don't get any on the cone, in the case of these Tannoys the improvement is cosmetic without any change to the T&S parameters. I can't comment on its use as a remedy for a stiffened surround, my decision was based upon its benign effect on rubber and its common use in maintenance of rubber in the auto industry. Sonax is another brand you can use but in both cases wear gloves and keep away from children.

Last edited:
Never intended to see the light of day so probably a bit sloppy from the factory tbh, one of the ports was annoyingly installed on the p1ss and it bugged me so much I removed it and fitted it correctly:

52831920309_5704d8eff3_c.jpg

Oh ignore the Cheviot plinths I've just made in the foreground....they're for someone on the Wam.

52832142565_0498352769_c.jpg

In order to provide a much improved mounting arrangement for the drivers using T-nuts(there just isn't enough baffle to fit them) I fashioned 4 plywood lugs glued around the sub baffle opening with a small 3mm chamfer to clear the driver basket;

52831920919_26eb280bb9_c.jpg

52831920109_d0a40d3e6a_c.jpg

Getting there...

52832188308_a205904b0c_c.jpg

Last edited:

advertisement

Back