advertisement

Met Police officer David Carrick admits to being serial rapist

I didn't hear the interview, so don't have the context, but if he's saying the 'institutional' bit of the expression is unhelpful then I think he has a point. Which is not denying the force has a collective, corporate problem with racism, misogyny and the rest, it's more that the term 'institutional' is open to interpretation in a number of ways, and if you're trying to address the problem, you need precision.

I didn't hear the interview, so don't have the context, but if he's saying the 'institutional' bit of the expression is unhelpful then I think he has a point. Which is not denying the force has a collective, corporate problem with racism, misogyny and the rest, it's more that the term 'institutional' is open to interpretation in a number of ways, and if you're trying to address the problem, you need precision.

They aren't his words to chose they've been presented to him in two damning reports. In rejecting the word "institutional" he's effectively arguing that it's a bad apple issue. The crime is to have been caught rather than the structural issues (at best) spreading from the top through inaction and blind eyes.

I think I prefer to believe Baroness Casey, institutional is pretty clear to me.

We're off to a bad start - the Chief has rejected the charge of institutional racism (unlike previously). He also seems therefore not to accept the earlier finding of institutional corruption

Picking up on one element of Casey's wording, he says: "I don't use the 'institutional' label myself", arguing that the term is "ambiguous" and "politicised".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-65011583?ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_live&ns_linkname=64196a4eff51f554d28c1e93&Met chief accepts findings, but rejects 'institutional' label&2023-03-21T08:31:38.457Z&ns_fee=0&pinned_post_locator=urn:asset:a0053490-2fb8-4fb0-8a8d-ba21b6332e25&pinned_post_asset_id=64196a4eff51f554d28c1e93&pinned_post_type=share
Another dickhead?

We're off to a bad start - the Chief has rejected the charge of institutional racism (unlike previously). He also seems therefore not to accept the earlier finding of institutional corruption

Picking up on one element of Casey's wording, he says: "I don't use the 'institutional' label myself", arguing that the term is "ambiguous" and "politicised".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-65011583?ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_live&ns_linkname=64196a4eff51f554d28c1e93&Met chief accepts findings, but rejects 'institutional' label&2023-03-21T08:31:38.457Z&ns_fee=0&pinned_post_locator=urn:asset:a0053490-2fb8-4fb0-8a8d-ba21b6332e25&pinned_post_asset_id=64196a4eff51f554d28c1e93&pinned_post_type=share

I'm well aware of the Met's failings but didn't expect the findings of the Casey report to be quite so bad. Just from the summaries being reported it sounds absolutely damning.

I don't know how you go about replacing an entire police force but the Met appears to be unsalvageable - it's just too broken and has had decades to sort itself out.

I was referring to being videoed by members of the public. Frequently happened to me. I'm all over t'internet if you know where to look.
Can we expect the immortal lines Andrew?

in a bit of a hurry this morning, Sir?
ello ello wots all this then?
Right, let’s be ‘aving you
Move along
Yes, take the road on the right and it’s about 3 miles on the right hand side

I'm well aware of the Met's failings but didn't expect the findings of the Casey report to be quite so bad. Just from the summaries being reported it sounds absolutely damning.

I don't know how you go about replacing an entire police force but the Met appears to be unsalvageable - it's just too broken and has had decades to sort itself out.

The Home Office is formally in charge of the Met, unlike the other forces, I believe. I think the Government and Home Office has never had any serious intention that these matters be dealt with so they've just festered and mushroomed. A few inclusivity courses and HR box ticking will not root out these problems now. Rowley himself has been a senior officer himself at the met for over a decade so must accept some personal responsibility rather than wringing his hands and dancing on the head of a pin.

advertisement

Back