advertisement

Budget MC Stage Recommendations

Definitely going to at least start off with the MC cartridge. It was effectively free, so it would be a real bonus if it was usable.

Don't discount the ATF7, it's an excellent cartridge and was a bona fide bargain before being discontinued. It has a 0.2 x 0.7 tip, which is not far off the AT microline. I run an OC9XML and the F7 is really not that far behind. The nearest alternative today is OC9XEN, but the F7 still has a better tip. It should shine in any of the stages mentioned: I ran it through a Rega Fono MC at one point and it performed superbly well. In fact, it supplanted a Rega Exact and an AT440ML (540ML today), both fine choices, but both lagging in terms of transparency, definition, grip and so on. Or course, all that is contingent on the number of hours it has seen.

Trichord Dino is a great call.

I must admit that I've never liked it. It's got a glassy 'sheen' to the sound that's unnatural and I don't think would suit an AT cartridge. A stage that does both MM and MC would be a good idea though.

Don't discount the ATF7, it's an excellent cartridge and was a bona fide bargain before being discontinued. It has a 0.2 x 0.7 tip, which is not far off the AT microline.

Can't agree with that. I think the ML tip is the probably the best value stylus in the AT line and a good bit better than an elliptical. The Special Line Contact is brilliant but it's lot more money.

Or course, all that is contingent on the number of hours it has seen.

It's a big if. Everyone selling a cartridge says it's hardly used or has a lot of life left in it but they seldom do. A lot of people grudge spending money on carts and run them well part their sell-by dates. If I'm buying a used turntable I consider the cartridge of no value unless the seller can prove it's nearly new.

If setting up a new vinyl system I'd want to start off with a new cartridge so you know where you are.

I must admit that I've never liked it. It's got a glassy 'sheen' to the sound that's annatural and I don't think would suit an AT cartridge.

Yes, even with the Dino+ p/s. It's just been discontinued apparently...

Don't discount the ATF7, it's an excellent cartridge and was a bona fide bargain before being discontinued. It has a 0.2 x 0.7 tip, which is not far off the AT microline. I run an OC9XML and the F7 is really not that far behind. The nearest alternative today is OC9XEN, but the F7 still has a better tip. It should shine in any of the stages mentioned: I ran it through a Rega Fono MC at one point and it performed superbly well. In fact, it supplanted a Rega Exact and an AT440ML (540ML today), both fine choices, but both lagging in terms of transparency, definition, grip and so on. Or course, all that is contingent on the number of hours it has seen.
Can't agree with that. I think the ML tip is the probably the best value stylus in the AT line and a good bit better than an elliptical. The Special Line Contact is brilliant but it's lot more money.
I suspect that John was referring to the minor radius of 0.2mil which isn't all that far off from the minor radius of A-T ML (0.12mil). Not nearly as kind to records due to the lack of extended vertical contact, though. And, like the old Shure ED tips, wears out slightly faster than standard elliptical as a result of having less molecules on the ground (grind?).

advertisement

Back