advertisement

All purpose football thread 2022/23 Season

Think City will catch us- the Haaland fella is not human, however it has been a great season thus far for The Arse and they are a young team........

A superb season, and I wouldn't be sure, but you do have some difficult matches to come. You are well coached, to a defined style of play, with very little evidence of big ego before team ethic; in essence, a strong similarity to Pep's teams.

Sean Dyche, he does what he does so well, but Chelsea should have had the match sewn up before the final equalizer. I still don't understand after all of the purchases that we made in January, why Potter didn't try and buy Trossard, he would have fitted in at Chelsea nicely i think.

Boehly seems to like star signings who come with decent price tags. According to Forbes, the Chelsea squad is currently valued at around $3 billion.

Was good to see a ref not accept dissent at Old Trafford yesterday. I know the bandwagon will be UTD favouritism etc, but in that manic moment the ref did the right thing, on all three occasions. I hope he is supported for doing so.

Not often refs get credit but in this case, it is fully deserved. De Silva's post-match press conference didn't exactly help matters. Anyway, kudos to Fulham for being the better team for most of the match.

I've always thought that City would catch Arsenal but I'm not so sure now.
City have some big matches in the CL coming up and I think that's the competition that the club, players & manager really want (not so much the fans).
City (imo) have got at least one slip in the league to come and I think that may well be enough to get Arsenal over the line who are out of Europe but have dealt with that disappointment in a positive manner by hammering Palace last weekend.
At the very least it will be a fascinating run-in.

A pity dissent from goofy for large parts of every match manure play is allowed to go on without sanction.

I suppose its part of the game, but inconsistency with refereeing and VAR IMO is something that does spoil the game. Dissent and foul/abusive language used towards the ref is replicated in the street -its the accepted norm.

It’s a massive problem at grassroots. To the degree that my lads have a cup semi-final against a notorious team from East Manchester, and the league are having to ensure they send a very experienced ref. Not because of my lads, but because of that team and their manager. There will also be a league observer. This is at U13s middle level football. It’s pathetic. He deserves what he gets. Anybody who tries to manhandle a referee should have their season brought to a close at any level. Mitrovic should be hung out to dry, as should have Fernandes, as should have Aguero when he put his hand on the female assistant. There’s simply no excuse.

I suppose its part of the game, but inconsistency with refereeing and VAR IMO is something that does spoil the game. Dissent and foul/abusive language used towards the ref is replicated in the street -its the accepted norm.

I watch a lot of football and Fernandes is one who complains to the referee more than nearly every other player. He recently pushed the assistant referee and was not punished, yet we see red cards for the same offence elsewhere. He is regularly in the face of the referee and remains unpunished. In the eyes of City fans, this has gone on for decades, and the infamous incident with Andy D'Urso remains the most recognised of its type. My team is certainly not immune from it either, and I do not like it, but we recently saw Ruben Dias booked for running towards the referee, something that would be laughable for a United player at Old Trafford - it simply would not happen.

It’s a massive problem at grassroots. To the degree that my lads have a cup semi-final against a notorious team from East Manchester, and the league are having to ensure they send a very experienced ref. Not because of my lads, but because of that team and their manager. There will also be a league observer. This is at U13s middle level football. It’s pathetic. He deserves what he gets. Anybody who tries to manhandle a referee should have their season brought to a close at any level. Mitrovic should be hung out to dry, as should have Fernandes, as should have Aguero when he put his hand on the female assistant. There’s simply no excuse.
Some of the language and aggression from parents on the sidelines of local matches are a thing to behold. They seem to channel the language and aggression from the terraces of a professional game into a kids game at the local Park on a Sunday without filter.

I watch a lot of football and Fernandes is one who complains to the referee more than nearly every other player. He recently pushed the assistant referee and was not punished, yet we see red cards for the same offence elsewhere. He is regularly in the face of the referee and remains unpunished. In the eyes of City fans, this has gone on for decades, and the infamous incident with Andy D'Urso remains the most recognised of its type. My team is certainly not immune from it either, and I do not like it, but we recently saw Ruben Dias booked for running towards the referee, something that would be laughable for a United player at Old Trafford - it simply would not happen.

Glad to hear you watch a lot of United games. Can't be easy.

Mmm, your manager is hardly a saint in this regard, seems to have a constant air of contempt for match officials. We actually very rarely see players being sent off for dissent & players do get very close to refs. Hasn’t this been a bit of a tactic at City (& many other clubs).

I take your wider point though in that there is little consistency. I do think Mitrovic was particularly aggressive though & 100% deserved to go, what was he so angry about?

Mmm, your manager is hardly a saint in this regard, seems to have a constant air of contempt for match officials. We actually very rarely see players being sent off for dissent & players do get very close to refs. Hasn’t this been a bit of a tactic at City (& many other clubs).

I take your wider point though in that there is little consistency. I do think Mitrovic was particularly aggressive though & 100% deserved to go, what was he so angry about?

As I said, I don't like it, at City, nor anywhere else, but I do think that some clubs have been allowed to get away with it for too long.

advertisement

Back