advertisement

Downsizing to a Solid State Integrated amp

david12

pfm Member
I've very much enjoyed my Modwright LS36.5 pre with Audio Research Ref 75SE power amp, the latter in particular, is wonderful. I am not getting any younger, who is and I want to simplify things and maybe reduce power consumption. I use sensitive 95db speakers, so megawatts aren't a priority. I like all genres of music, except heavy rock, including Classical, opera Jazz, Blues, Singer Songwriters.
If I sell my pre power-, I will be looking in the £4000 to 6000 range, for a solid state integrated. Having heard the Hegel 190 at the Bristol show, the Hegel 390 is top of the list. I've always fancied a Luxman, so the 505 is possible in this price range, or Accuphase, the E280. The other thought is the Sugden Masterclass IA4, or NVA 50.

Any thoughts or new suggestions, gratefully received.

I kinda did the same thing; downsized the number of boxes a few years ago. I'm very pleased with my Yamaha A-S3000 so I would recommend the A-S3200 which is the replacement model. With that budget you can spare a bit of pocket money to buy more music :)

If you're considering a class A Sugden, maybe think of a Vitus? Bit pricey, mind. The smaller 25 watt Sugdens (A21?) may well suit your spkrs and not be too much of a culture shock.

I'm watching this thread. I'm thinking of upgrading to another integrated from a Densen B100 Mk5 and wondering which way to go. For me it's all genres.

If you like the sound of the Hegel H190 (most probably driving Amphion speakers at Bristol HiFi show) I would definitely recommend the Hegel H390 for an audition. However going by your preference for music genres or types also try Luxman and Norma amps. Ideally if the amp drives well your particular speakers (has a nice synergy) then that would be a wonderful start...

I use sensitive 95db speakers, so megawatts aren't a priority. I like all genres of music, except heavy rock, including Classical, opera Jazz, Blues, Singer Songwriters.

Luxman is a strong contender. I'm not familiar with Class AB Luxman but the Class A is very good. Since you want to reduce power consumption, I guess Class AB is the only option.

The strengths of the Luxman are it's fairly neutral and capable of reproducing the detail and nuance in the music to a high degree with a tight and tuneful bass. The bass is not a full fat bass but one that's lean, defined and detailed. With other less capable amps, the detail in music will be slightly lost and the delicate nuance missing. I have the Class A L-590AXII.

Last edited:
Another vote for the Sugden A21SE.

Sugdee A21SE is often recommended and I'm aware it's good too. I wonder if anyone has compared the Sugden to Luxman. A friend wants to try the Luxman but find it to be too rich for his blood and is now looking at the Sugden as an alternative.

My suggestion would be to host a bake-off, asking other members to bring their amplifiers for you to try with your speakers in your own room. Pre-Covid, and in a larger house, I hosted many and learned a lot. Not long ago, I had a Sugden Masterclass IA-4 in my system for a week. It was a lovely thing but, ultimately, I preferred what I already own and given it (IA4) is now 6k new, that is money I would rather have than spend. I now use two integrated amplifiers from the 1970s, but historically had separate high-end phono stages, pre-amplifiers and power amps. Good look in your search.

My suggestion would be to host a bake-off, asking other members to bring their amplifiers for you to try with your speakers in your own room. Pre-Covid, and in a larger house, I hosted many and learned a lot. Not long ago, I had a Sugden Masterclass IA-4 in my system for a week. It was a lovely thing but, ultimately, I preferred what I already own and given it (IA4) is now 6k new, that is money I would rather have than spend. I now use two integrated amplifiers from the 1970s, but historically had separate high-end phono stages, pre-amplifiers and power amps. Good look in your search.
What integrated amps from the 70s? For me it’s the Sansui AU-717.

advertisement

Back