advertisement

Anyone ever run a Mercedes 190E? Any good?

666-3.jpg

A bit of a step up from the 190e. Yours for £5k, chief. Get it bought. :)

https://www.carandclassic.com/car/C1231551
Ooft! Nice! Looks like it was milled from a solid block of stainless steel.

I’ve always loved that era of Merc but they are not really a daily driver anymore. Something like a Honda Legend or a Lexus would be a better bet from the same era.

I absolutely loved mine and would get one myself if the right one shows up. The chances of which are slender. However a useful reminder to keep an eye out.

At £5k I can pretty much guaranteee that's a lot more decrepit than it appears in the photos. 157k on the four cylinder means watch out for head gasket trouble - and the seller hasn't quite managed to hide the hole in the driver's seat!

Fair enough, but pretty easy fixes.

666-3.jpg

I always fancied this Merc. Af
666-3.jpg

I always fancied this Merc. A friend had one in a dark blue with leather. When you got in an arm extruded from the seat back and offered you the seat belt so you didn’t have to scrabble around behind you for the belt.

I always fancied this Merc. A friend had one in a dark blue with leather. When you got in an arm extruded from the seat back and offered you the seat belt so you didn’t have to scrabble around behind you for the belt.
Yes, the two door variants from that period are my favourite.

When you got in an arm extruded from the seat back and offered you the seat belt so you didn’t have to scrabble around behind you for the belt.

Oh I dunno. When you get to my age, any excuse for a reach around is to be welcomed. :)

[edit]

I always wanted an AMG E36, but they go for stoopid money now. If you can find one...

Thank you for all the replies. Lots of wise words indeed. I have looked into these cars a bit. I even bought a 190E buyers guide a couple of years ago when I first noticed these cars.

I am moving to the view that a 190E would not be a good choice for me. Maybe they are just getting too old. I am pretty handy with cars and can do most jobs, including a full engine swap, but I do not enjoy that level of mechanical work anymore. Life's too short.

Another motor I'd like to try is the Lexus LS430, just for the mad levels of luxury. More sensibly, a fully loaded old Honda Accord seems to be a cheap way to comfort and they are supposed to have good seats. Volvo's always appealed with their great ergonomics and interior design but high-ish fuel consumption always put me off. I enjoyed the various Saabs I had in the past, particularly the 9000 CSE turbo, but these have mostly died off now too.

What I should probably do when I retire is forget about cars completely and get my free bus pass and a decent bicycle. Better for me and the planet.
The Lexus or a Toyota would avoid a lot of pain. When I finally sold my Merc (see earlier post) I got a Passat; nice car but water ingress screwed the electrics and brought a big bill. I then bought a diesel Toyota Avensis. The reviews said ‘boring’ but at my age, boring is good. When the worries about diesel emissions began I swapped it for a petrol Avensis - a good move given today’s disparity in fuel prices to petrol’s favour.
Both Avenses(?) have been absolutely reliable and an easy relaxing drive. I imagine that the Lexus is the same but more so.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
The Lexus is a better car than the press would have you believe. Nice big lazy V8, top quality wafting guaranteed.

I've been toying withe the idea of buying an old Mercedes Benz 190E when I retire my business in a year or two's time. I've often fancied one of these cars. They seem to have a mixture of quality and non-showiness that appeals.

I'm thinking a 1992/1993 car with driver airbag and ABS. Probably an auto box. Something around £4-£5k.
This would be our only car and would need to be reliable and durable for a couple of years at, say, 10,000miles/yr. Would also need to be cheap to run.

Am I being too optimistic thinking that a car this old could be run without major expense and 30+mpg? I've noticed that once the plastics and rubber bits start to fail in older cars, it can get expensive (fuel injection parts, steering racks, bearings, seals etc)

Just wondering if any other PFM-ers have run one of these and if you would recommend them?

No. It's a 30 year old luxury car. By all means run it as a modern classic but this means low miles, plenty of maintenance and a spare car for the real world. Move on, nothing to see here.

I’ve had two of these. Good cars , but that was long ago.

Thank you for all the replies. Lots of wise words indeed. I have looked into these cars a bit. I even bought a 190E buyers guide a couple of years ago when I first noticed these cars.

I am moving to the view that a 190E would not be a good choice for me. Maybe they are just getting too old. I am pretty handy with cars and can do most jobs, including a full engine swap, but I do not enjoy that level of mechanical work anymore. Life's too short.

Another motor I'd like to try is the Lexus LS430, just for the mad levels of luxury. More sensibly, a fully loaded old Honda Accord seems to be a cheap way to comfort and they are supposed to have good seats. Volvo's always appealed with their great ergonomics and interior design but high-ish fuel consumption always put me off. I enjoyed the various Saabs I had in the past, particularly the 9000 CSE turbo, but these have mostly died off now too.

What I should probably do when I retire is forget about cars completely and get my free bus pass and a decent bicycle. Better for me and the planet.

This guy on Youtube has tried older cheaper luxo barges. An S500 of 2002 vintage and a 97 LS400. He has done several editions about owning them.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
This guy on Youtube has tried older cheaper luxo barges. An S500 of 2002 vintage and a 97 LS400. He has done several editions about owning them.

Cheers, good video, I enjoyed it.
The story behind the Lexus LS series always appealed to me; Toyota taking on the big, established names in luxury cars, starting from scratch to produce a winning machine. An amazing achievement. Sure, the styling is a bit ersatz but that kind of adds to the appeal for me.

My pal has a 2.3 'Cosworth' - it's a lovely motor and mechanically been faultless; but rust wise, he's chased his tail, a lot...

I had a friend in Germany who had one of those back in the day as well as one of the original BMW M3 convertibles. I had a go in both and would definitely have liked to have the 190E of the two (although I'd have been happy with either). I've since lost touch with him so no idea if he kept them or what state they are in now.

I recall when I was driving the M3 a limo pulled up beside me at the lights and the chap in the back rolled down his window and made an offer to buy it on the spot.

I had a friend in Germany who had one of those back in the day as well as one of the original BMW M3 convertibles. I had a go in both and would definitely have liked to have the 190E of the two (although I'd have been happy with either). I've since lost touch with him so no idea if he kept them or what state they are in now.

I recall when I was driving the M3 a limo pulled up beside me at the lights and the chap in the back rolled down his window and made an offer to buy it on the spot.

It's a lovely looking car; very 'meaningful' haha :D Looks great in the RVM when he's pulling up behind you...

He does use it a lot; puts a good 5-6k miles on it a year; but he had had to have a lot of bodywork sorted as they tend to rot from the inside out, so when you see the rot, it's already too late!

He's had a number of M cars too; he's in the middle of rebuilding his 42k mile E39 M5, which is costing a fortune, but he earns it too, so why not!

He had an E36 M3 (stolen); an E46 M3 (stolen) and an E60 M5 (imploded on the way to Caffine & Machine a few years back; sold it for parts rather than stick more £££ into it etc)

His daily is a 270k mile E91 320D! He's been trying to kill it for a long time, but it just keeps on going and he'll do the journeys between up here in Lancs to Germany 4 times a year in it...

advertisement

Back