advertisement

Star Trek: Original Series • Discovery • Picard • Lower Decks • Prodigy • Strange New Worlds

For someone who absolutely hates Discovery and has a very low opinion of seasons 1 and 2 of Picard, the first episode of season 3 was alright! I’m intrigued to watch more!!

Yeah, season 3 of Picard seems to be a palate cleanser after the foul taste of the first two.

Enjoying it so far, although the idea of someone smoking a cigar on the bridge of a spaceship seems a bit odd, even if it is a baddie.

I’m currently listening to (the podcast) Starship Excelsior whilst walking the dogs or in the car. Set in the Star Trek universe it’s fan fiction, but the stories are quite good (and there are lots of them) although the acting is more than a bit wooden (although, perhaps cast iron or concrete would be a better description) and I’ve yet to decide if that’s deliberate or not. Plenty of nods to other sci-fi shows too, some crew members were discussing the best restaurant and someone proposed Milliways, but did concede it’s quite far to go, and an engineer asked if anyone had a Sonic Screwdriver?

Space the final frontier. These are the voyages of the ..., Oh who am I kidding. This is the Starship Excelsior. We use an ancient gateway to explore the farthest reaches of the galaxy. Our assignment is to find out what we can and come back alive. The rest is rhetoric.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starship_Excelsior

Series 3 of Picard seems to have hit the mark. Has same kind of feeling about it as TNG but with the through storyline.

For someone who absolutely hates Discovery and has a very low opinion of seasons 1 and 2 of Picard, the first episode of season 3 was alright! I’m intrigued to watch more!!

Good... I'm am struggling reluctantly through season 2 of Picard, on the basis of "I've started so I'll finish" but OMG it is dreadful rubbish.

Yeah, season 3 of Picard seems to be a palate cleanser after the foul taste of the first two.
We're up to Episode 4, and I'm afraid we've found it a bit of a bore. It simply seems to be milking the old warhorses as hard as it can go, to give them a final payday. Even the theme music echoes the past (it includes the magnificent theme from First Contact, to my ears, the finest of all Star Trek themes). In Episode 4, we even had something like a rerun of an early TNG episode! In addition, the cast seems simply too ancient - Patrick Stewart's magnificent speaking voice seems a shadow of its former self, and Will Riker has expanded to be something more than a shadow of his former self! Now there remain plot lines to be tied up, so we as old Trek fans are hopeful that it can pick up. However, it misses something with the absence of Brent Spiner's Data.

As a footnote, we never quite recovered from watching it in German! When we heard it in English for the first time, the original voices were disappointing, except for Stewart's. We had the same experience with Die X-Akte - Scully's dubbed German voice had a wonderful rich quality, and we were most disappointed with Gillian Anderson's actual voice, until we got used to it.

However, it misses something with the absence of Brent Spiner's Data.

I don't think it's much of a spoiler to note that Data's brother Lore will appear at some point in this season, since his image has been included in the trailer montages.

Let’s face it it’s just member berries at this stage, this whole thing would have been better without Raffi.

There was a similar story line in TNG season 1 about a contagion at the core of Star Fleet...

Quite enjoying Season 3. Always good to see Ro, even for a brief moment. An infiltrated Federation is not exactly a new storyline (can't remember the name of the little brain stem creatures) but there are enough layers and twists in this version to keep you watching.

advertisement

Back