advertisement

Coax plug for Kenwood KT 5020 tuner

andrewsutton

pfm Member
Hi, I wonder if anyone knows what type of coax plug I need for this tuner. Unfortunately I left the previous plug attached to its cable when we moved house 18 months ago.
I have a temporary arrangement with the core bent enough to connect in its socket and the screen held in place with half an inch of ball point pen barrel cut to expand a bit.
The outside dimension of the screen on the tuner socket is 9.5 mm which is the same as the coax plugs I have purchased.
So the plugs won’t fit inside or out of the socket.
I have had a look on the internet on a few occasions but cannot seem to find the right plug.
They did exist but I can’t track them down.
Any suggestions, please?
Cheers Andy.

FM antenna plugs are usually Belling-Lee connectors, sometime called IEC antenna connectors. The french call it a type 9,52, because the OD is 9.52mm.

Cheap as chips, sort of 75Ohm, also used for TV. Should be able to get one at any TV shop.

Thanks PD but a 9.52 mm od plug cannot fit into a 9.5 mm od socket.
The Kenwood instructions seem to suggest some sort of adapter, perhaps a balun to convert to 300 ohm impedance, and I don’t want or need this.
And as I said in the post, I had a plug that fitted…..

Aha. You can get female / line-socket type versionsof the belling-lee also. I might have one - will hunt tomorrow

To quote from Wikipedia "In type 9,52, the 9,52, in French SI style, refers to the 9.525 mm (3⁄8, or 0.375 in) male external and female internal connector body diameter." Don't worry, the female will stretch to accommodate the male.
No smirking in the back there :).

I’m sorry to report that the female in this case is not as accommodating as I would like.
There is no facility for a little give as the screen part of the socket is a tube with no slits to allow expansion, unlike the core recipient which has slits.
And the external diameter is 9.5 mm….

advertisement

Back