advertisement

Buying a new CD player in 2023

I have been considering a Blak as well.
However not sure how the "state" of Roksan as a company is in ? after the take over from Touraj.
I'd rather not buy a 3K product before I found out more.
I noticed the recently release, a sort of budget amp and turntable.
It came last in the HiFi Choice group test of players in the £2-3k range this month.
Winner was the Primare CD35, then Saturn, Cyrus CDIXR, MF 6scd, Marantz.
There now follow a series of posts saying how useless Group tests in magazines are. Actually I think they're still pretty useful.

Shame that your friend is dead-set against anything but a conventional CD player. I can't imagine getting up to change CDs anymore. I've loaded thousands of tracks onto a Sony HAP-Z1ES Hard Disk player, which doesn't stream and doesn't require a computer for ripping or playback. Nelson Pass owns one; they sound great and I now enjoy CDs that I never would have remembered if I had to pick out each one by memory.

Does he still ride a horse to work? :)

Shame that your friend is dead-set against anything but a conventional CD player. I can't imagine getting up to change CDs anymore. I've loaded thousands of tracks onto a Sony HAP-Z1ES Hard Disk player, which doesn't stream and doesn't require a computer for ripping or playback. Nelson Pass owns one; they sound great and I now enjoy CDs that I never would have remembered if I had to pick out each one by memory.

Does he still ride a horse to work? :)
Getting up to change the CD or record might end up being the only thing standing between me and vascular dementia. Just sayin'. (As they say.)

Hmm. A bit confused about why CD players seem to be becoming obsolete. No spares, very expensive players only a few years old no longer able to be repaired etc. I can obtain relatively easily parts for my Edison cylinder phonograph, my HMV Table Grand Gramophone, Revox A77, 1979 reg Moto Guzzi motorcycle........

Perhaps a conundrum for some; If they had no cd's, no records (and don't want stream) ... what makes more sense, TT or CDP ...

Perhaps a conundrum for some; If they had no cd's, no records (and don't want stream) ... what makes more sense, TT or CDP ...
My unhelpful initial gut feel answer would be: both. But, trying to be helpful, guess I'd say turntable is more fun, if you can stand the cost of new vinyl.
Also, CD players perhaps more prone to going wrong, unto the point of becoming expensive door stops.

How do you get music from CDs into the Sony HAP-Z1ES? I can't see a slot, like the Innuos Zenith.
You connect a USB-powered disc drive to the Sony via a rear-panel USB input. Then select "Import CD" from the on-screen menu. The CD will be copied and the meta-data (if available) extracted and added to the local database so that it can be easily found by artist, track title, or album title, or date added, etc. Once your CD is loaded, you don't need an internet connection for playback.
I've used many CD players over the years as well as several different music servers. This approach is the best I've found for my needs. I realize a lot of audiophiles don't want to go this route.

I'm guessing, but am fairly sure, that the reason why so many otherwise full-featured music servers don't have built-in drives is because they often fail. Manufacturers don't want to be on the hook for replacing third-party, failure prone disc drives, so they add usb ripping support to the software and the customer has to supply (and replace) the disc drive. I went through several Harman-Kardon DMC-1000s, an early music server and multiple machines suffered early drive failures.

This is the biggest problem with music servers, but despite this, I still choose them over CD players.

I prefer to rip the CD on my PC using DBPowerAmp. Add my own metadata and copy the files to the server over the network

Hmm. A bit confused about why CD players seem to be becoming obsolete. No spares, very expensive players only a few years old no longer able to be repaired etc. I can obtain relatively easily parts for my Edison cylinder phonograph, my HMV Table Grand Gramophone, Revox A77, 1979 reg Moto Guzzi motorcycle........
They weren't designed to last or to be repaired. You're supposed to go out and buy a new plastic one every few years. The other products you mention were the products of a different era and mentality.
But just try getting the latest Taylor Swift album for your Edison Cylinder! :)

Arcam always made decent cd players. I bought a used CD82 which I think is actually quite good although I'm using it as a transport into my Naim NDS now, it's doing a fine job of that.

What are folks thoughts on how, in general, Roksan CD players compare with Naim? I’m currently running a CDX2 with XPS but considering a higher end Roksan.

advertisement

Back