advertisement

pfm Picture A Week (PAW) 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
52700041162_45d06cd18b_b.jpg

52695247627_6eef442d96_b.jpg

Fuji X-T30/XF18-55mm

somewhere I have a collection of ancient french glass plate negs showing WW1 I think. How did you do this conversion? If you have time i'd love to know.
It's not a conversion, I made the image.

I'll just quickly say how in case you're still interested, or anyone else is.

It started as a colour image taken in the Slate Museum yard that I straightened, cropped, converted to black and white added some blurring and grain then exported from Capture 1.

I opened it in Photoshop and also opened two images of Daguerrotypes that I'd saved from sources on the net. One with great texture, the other with an interesting frame.
Sized the textural one, which was in colour, to my image, then used blend, brightness and contrast till I liked how it looked. Used saturation to get some colour back into it.
Merged, then imported it as a layer into the image with the good background, which I colourised to match, and reconciled the sizes. Drew freehand where I wanted the edges to be, and used a fade of 150 pixels. Cut and pasted that into a new layer, then made the original layer not visible. It looked pretty good now, but had lost those corner mounts to some extent. I freehand drew round each corner mount then paste each into a layer then adjusted brightness, contrast and blend until they were back looking authentic. Merged, finally adjusted brightness and contrast and saturation. Saved as a jpg.

I'd have thought glass plate negatives you could back illuminate with a light box, photograph as sharply as possible in Raw then use invert and adjust in Photoshop? The plates sound really interesting. If they're unpublished maybe the Imperial War Museum might be keen on a look.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back