advertisement

Luxman/Accuphase/Yamaha - Quality?

30 Years old and sounds fabulous. In fact, it's revealing shortcomings in the recordings that I could previously tolerate.
The Sonys are about 45 years old. They've been serviced.

Good to hear. To clarify, I'm not suggesting that old gear will not sound good. I'm just implying that the less than stellar build quality of the Luxman A-20 in comparison to the Sony may be due to the year it was introduced. I believe the newer and current Accuphase gear show higher build quality than the older models built in the era of the 90s.

I have long since been tempted to invest in one of the Japanese (maybe not now) made amps from the above 3 manufacturers. I love their aesthetics but they're damn expensive.

However, I am considering a second system with one of these as an integrated and would appreciate views as to their respective quality as I have read conflicting views. I need to listen to all of them and the ones I am looking at, specifically, are:

Luxman L-509x
Accuphase E270
Yamaha A-S3000/A-S3200

Is the high-end Yamaha stuff comparable to the others? I have read good things about the A-S3000.

Thanks.
I have Accuphase E4000 and it is superbly made, everything feels correct and great sound

Accuphase A-20 came out in 1995 which is almost 30 years old..

Uh-huh. But the Sony predates that by what, the best part of two decades? Staggeringly high level of fit & finish. Feel that knob, mister? Yes please.

Talking of challenging acoustic environments, I recall the original Esprit Series trade launch in the UK a wee while later was on a train which toured the country. Wisely they opted for a static only display IIRC rather than actually try to demonstrate the stuff, just going along to lick it was the order of the day (until they politely asked me to leave).

Uh-huh. But the Sony predates that by what, the best part of two decades? Staggeringly high level of fit & finish. Feel that knob, mister? Yes please.

Different companies operate differently. Sony have built their high-end gear to high standards in the past while some companies don't and may have improved the quality both sound and build with time.

It's a great combination. If you can stretch a bit, the E380 is a fair bit better, but the E280 is still a cracking amp and suits the DP450 very well indeed. I spend many years with an E213 in my system and never had cause to doubt my choice; the E280 is several generations newer and significantly better.

What speakers will you be using?

Is anyone using Accuphase DP 450 & E280? I retire in Aug. and think I’ll treat myself to a CDP/Int. combo. Always fancied some Accuphase:)

I recently bought a used E370 which I'm really enjoying - not sure what the real world difference between this and the 380 but I can't fault mine. You could get a second hand 370 for similar money to the 280, but they don't come up for sale very often.

I like Kudos, have heard them with Accuphase and it's a great combination. Again, if you can stretch, the Titan series really bring out what's great about Accuphase.

Sorry...
Having heard Titan 808s in various places, I became convinced they were the best candidates to replace my venerable Naim DBLs; all I needed was a home trial.

My trusty dealer lugged their demo pair into our living room, & I spent a few days giving them a good listen, being driven by my then Accuphase E650. Alas, they just didn't do it for me, & it was a bit of a relief to reinsert my old faithfuls. Home demo essential!

Interesting developments from accuphase, with the new C-2300 replacing the 2150 and the 2450, and supposedly being better than both:

https://www.accuphase.com/model/c-2300.html

Check out the 4-band tone controls! Shame it doesn't have the wooden sides of the 2450, seems like a missed opportunity. (yes I am that shallow)

Furthermore, the A-36 has finally been dropped, and there are not yet any new class A/B monos.

I like this new stringency in their model line up, it's 3 pre amps and 3 power amp levels ("small", medium & monos), for both class A and class A/B (I am sure it is a matter of time until new A/B monos are introduced).

It seems to me that the new large integrateds gave the "cheaper" pre/power combos a hard time, so they had to clean up a bit in their line up.

advertisement

Back