advertisement

Sony CDP-X5000: anyone with one or experience of one?

Maxbertola

pfm Member
Hi,

I've had a chance to buy a Sony TA-F5000 integrated for a very reasonable sum, it's a small jewel of which I'm happy.

Does anyone have personal experience of its matching CDP-X5000 player? Is it worth a patient search? And in case I am cautiously looking for one.

Thanks, regards
Max

I had one for a while. It is a really nice little CD player and like all Sonys I’ve heard sounds great in a very balanced way. Just doesn’t do anything wrong. The build isn’t quite as solid as it looks with some silver plastic in places, but it is still decent with the possible exception of the transport buttons which were a little imprecise on mine. I suspect that was likely just needing a strip and clean as facing upwards they get all the dust etc. I eventually swapped it out for a Rega Apollo-R as it was the same near footprint and I suspect the Rega will be more serviceable long-term being recent/current (I only use it as a transport). The Sony is great, I’d definitely recommend it if you can find a genuine mint one.

PS Ancient pic:

5067388282_5ce47db2f0_c.jpg

Everything is now different except the table!

Hi,

The table is magnificent, so definitely a keeper!
Thanks for your opinions. I must say - speaking of rega Apollos - that every time I hear a classic Apollo (the full-width one) I think that there isn't and can't be a better sounding for the money. The Sony is a temptation given the build and sound quality of the TA-F5000 integrated. But an Apollo remains my choice.

Max

What are your requirements? Do you need it to be narrow? Does it have to be silver? Budget?

No, I don't. My current CDP is a TEAC VRDS-9 and it's 28.5 wide.The classic full-width ones are ok though, especially if they are visually gracious and unobtrusive like the older Apollo. No silver, thanks, I barely accept the Sony's champagne finish because it's so wonderful otherwise.. Budget? On a budget.
:)

I found it pretty average sound wise-edged towards thin and lean, the roll off filters were a novelty but tbh the best bit is the drawer mech; Nice action.
Stick with the Teac.

I had the CDP-X3000ES (twice!) and the 5000 is even better, similar in SQ to the CDP-XA50ES that I still have.
Beautiful design, amazing build quality, ergonomics and they are indeed made to last, although laser units are difficult to find nowadays.
They really shine as a top quality CD Transport.
Very recommended if you find one in mint condition at a good price.

Hi
thanks, the last two posts are really antipodal... My TEAC is not bad at all, although on a couple occasions reviewers found it the same as cooky1257 describes the Sony..!
It needs a working digital out card though; I usually treasure all opinions, memory and instinct do the rest.
M

I have had a CDP-X5000 since 1997 and it's a really nice thing to use. The inbuilt dac sounds nice, if a bit lightweight, and I always preferred filter 3. I have also used it as a transport with an external dac, and it works really well. As Tony said the buttons can get a bit flaky.

I'm not sure how does the CDP-X5000 compare to the CDP-XA7ES which I owned many years ago. I was told that the XA7ES is Sony's best CD player. I'm not sure why I sold it but the machine sounded quite special. It's a bit lit and illuminating with a slight tube-like quality in the midrange and treble. I had one in champagne gold.

advertisement

Back