advertisement

Buying a new CD player in 2023

Roksan are definitely worth considering. I have the Caspian M2 myself, a really nice player with excellent production.
The Blak is also very good. Richer Sounds offer the full Roksan range that also includes the K3 at the lower end of their price range if an audition to compare were to be considered.

Audial must be some dac. Chord TT2 is absolutely superb. Probably at limits of my hearing good. Dont think even a Dave or Mscaler would make financial sense and suspect any difference that I would notice wouldn't be that much really. Thats what I'm telling myself.
I have owned a Naim Cdi before. Liked it a lot. TT2 is on a completely different level, and so it should be. As is my old Opus 21. The Audiolab 9000cdt/ Tt2 has not long replaced my long term Naim Cds3. Another great player.
I suspect the current BM Dac3 hgc would be another cracking dac. Was thinking about one but a pre owned Tt2 came up locally.
I reckon Op will have to go try listen to some stuff. So much choice , and so many opinions.
I see from your post that you consider it very unlikely but it’s worth saying that the person who makes the Audial has made it his working life’s work to get the best out of the TDA 1541 chip, relevant because the guy is replacing a CDI that he likes, was very well known in DIY circles before he went into semi commercial production. If his DAC was sold through distributors/dealers with any marketing budget at all it would cost about £6,000. Naturally, there are other chips and other good products.

I have been considering a Blak as well.
However not sure how the "state" of Roksan as a company is in ? after the take over from Touraj.
I'd rather not buy a 3K product before I found out more.
I noticed the recently release, a sort of budget amp and turntable.

I wouldn't know the answer to that. They have merged with Monitor Audio have they not ? Needs some research into the company financials then maybe.
I would have thought that the merger would potentially make them more financially sound rather than less so.
I have had my Caspian M2 for over 12 years and it has been completely fault free, as indeed has the M2 amplifier.

I quite understand buying a CDP new. Wouldn’t buy a 2nd hand one.
Marantz is a good shout. More expensive are Audio Note; CD 2.1x/11 with valve output stage. At £4K, and imho, it’s fabulous!

I see from your post that you consider it very unlikely but it’s worth saying that the person who makes the Audial has made it his working life’s work to get the best out of the TDA 1541 chip, relevant because the guy is replacing a CDI that he likes, was very well known in DIY circles before he went into semi commercial production. If his DAC was sold through distributors/dealers with any marketing budget at all it would cost about £6,000. Naturally, there are other chips and other good products.
Yes indeed. The 1541 chip is an audio classic. Still held in high regard. My first proper cd player the Arcam alpha 5 used it. A player I enjoyed back in the day. And of course the rather rare Marantz cd7. Their effort of maximising 1541 performance I believe. Was interested in one of those a long time ago but was concerned about servicing, spares and repairs.

Go for a transport and dac, with a decent wire in between. Audiolab 6000t as transport obviously as its had many excellent reviews. Dacs…pick your poison.

Roksan caspian is a very good player mostly if you can use the xlr connections. I have also the Naim cd5xs, the Roksan is better. Now I use the Naim as a transport connected to my Gustard dac r26. They match very well together.

I have been considering a Blak as well.
However not sure how the "state" of Roksan as a company is in ? after the take over from Touraj.
I'd rather not buy a 3K product before I found out more.
I noticed the recently release, a sort of budget amp and turntable.

What?! Touraj has gone back and bought out Roksan?! Or have I misunderstood?

I don’t think so this time. Roksan were purchased by Monitor Audio in 2016 and I don’t think that’s changed. Where Roksan products are made - UK or China - seems up for debate.

I don’t think so this time. Roksan were purchased by Monitor Audio in 2016 and I don’t think that’s changed. Where Roksan products are made - UK or China - seems up for debate.

Wow - no idea they had any involvement with Monitor Audio. Thanks Alex.

Roon Tested Certified Roon
Supports MQA and MQA Studio
DT-6000 | Rotel

You need to have a better understanding of the terminology and the difference between Roon Tested & Roon Ready. You may potentially confuse people. If you expect a Roon Tested device to work as a Roon end point (Roon Ready) then you will be sorely disappointed.

advertisement

Back