advertisement

Ryan Soundlabs MM boards

Pine Marten

pfm Member
Does anyone happen to know the input capacitance of the original type of Ryans MM phono boards? Guess they are about 4 years old. I think they may be 100pF, but cannot find a definitive answer. I 'll email Ryan if no-one on here knows for sure. Thinking of going for an AT 540 or 740 variant . and do not want a" toppy" result.
Cheers

Earlier RSL MM boards used 100pf as the input capacitance. There's really no "standard" as such but that is typical for MM preamps. Sounds like you already know that increasing capacitance will increase the high frequencies and vice versa. If you cartridge is too bright, you'd have to replace the red capacitor with a lower value. If you need to do that, please send the version number of the boards you have and I'll point out where that cap is. An alternative is to mail me the boards and I'll replace the caps for you at no charge. The only issue with that is you won't be able to easily know what value to change to. Just let me know if I can help.

Toppy is just nice to these ears, like real instruments, as many cartridges have a dull top end.
Listen to real instruments before saying a hi-fi system has too much treble, because it’s more often the exact opposite actually…
I like my records to sound like good digital. The AT cartridges manage this just fine with 100 pF (cable capacitance) and if you like your records to sound, say warm, look elsewhere really.
Or use the tone control of your preamp (why not).

Earlier RSL MM boards used 100pf as the input capacitance. There's really no "standard" as such but that is typical for MM preamps. Sounds like you already know that increasing capacitance will increase the high frequencies and vice versa. If you cartridge is too bright, you'd have to replace the red capacitor with a lower value. If you need to do that, please send the version number of the boards you have and I'll point out where that cap is. An alternative is to mail me the boards and I'll replace the caps for you at no charge. The only issue with that is you won't be able to easily know what value to change to. Just let me know if I can help.
Thanks for the confirmation Ryan, super quick service! 100pF should be OK for what I have in mind as the arm (Linn Ittok ) cable is a low capacitance short replacement and the arm itself has been rewired. Guess total capacitance is of the order of 120pF. A good starting point for the current range of AT MM carts. I'll be in touch if I neeed further help.

Toppy is just nice to these ears, like real instruments, as many cartridges have a dull top end.
Listen to real instruments before saying a hi-fi system has too much treble, because it’s more often the exact opposite actually…
I like my records to sound like good digital. The AT cartridges manage this just fine with 100 pF (cable capacitance) and if you like your records to sound, say warm, look elsewhere really.
Or use the tone control of your preamp (why not).
A bit of treble boost is acceptable, as my 64 year old ears are a bit down on top end. No tone knobs here. Was just concerned that AT carts of the current range dont take too kindly to the usual CB Naim input of 470pF. I would say my current cartridge and CD are pretty much equal on tonal balance and there is plenty going on at the HF end of things without being unduly strident or harsh to my ears.

advertisement

Back