advertisement

Help me with an exercise bike....

ex brickie

pfm Member
I'm after an exercise bike that meets the following criteria:

up to £400 (secondhand is fine)
low noise
spin class style (not an upright or a recumbent)
preferable smaller floor footprint - but I'm guessing this might have to be the compromise
Doesn't need a screen or connection to internet - but would like some display of how i'm going
20+ settings/resistance levels

I've been looking on line and JLL have a few models. I'm interested to hear from someone who has one and can comment on the noise....

If you have one for sale and are reasonable driving distance of Aberystwyth west Wales.......!

I found a bike didn't do much for upper body; i've got knackered shoulders which benefit from light work.

Cross trainer works better depending on why you said not an upright. Probably a good time of year for freecycle if you have a local group.

I bought a fairly inexpensive one (Pro Form) that was solid and worked fine, but had an odd "feature": The friction pad that provides resistance against the wheel was made of hemp. So every time it heated up, the room smelled of skunky weed.

Not cool. Worth checking before you buy.

I got a cheap spin bike from craigslist for about $150 five years ago - it's fine for what I need and quiet. I watch youtube / netflix / prime to deal with the boredom. I can't recommend a make but I'm sure you'll find plenty on gumtree because folks lose interest or move.

In terms of "would like some display of how i'm going" I think a smartphone and a heart rate monitor are all you need so you can time sessions / intervals and know what zone your heart rate is in. RPM / speed / cadence are not necessary IMO.

In terms of "would like some display of how i'm going" I think a smartphone and a heart rate monitor are all you need so you can time sessions / intervals and know what zone your heart rate is in. RPM / speed / cadence are not necessary IMO.
Agree wholeheartedly. Ive just got a cheap bike on gumtree and forked out on a refurbished apple watch 7. I can program bike workouts and max heart rate etc and it lets me know how I’m doing. Listen to music on the iphone or ipad and I’m a happy bunny. Obviously the watch does a lot more as well

Hi,

I am looking for an exercise bike as well.

Anyone got any pictures or links to the type of bike that fits the OP's description.

Not sure what a "Spin Class Style" is, what are these?

Thanks

John

spin bike are brilliant-weighted wheel so doesn't freewheel backwards and you can stand up if you wish no problem with balance. new or second hand should be fine

however...... get 'peloton' app for your iPad, phone etc and your workouts enjoyment will be transformed

Half-decent spin bikes can now be had for buttons on auction sites. Covid1 saw loads bought which are now sat around unused. Many have a place to rest an iPad or similar. Personally I would go S/H and cheap-ish. If you find enjoy exercising home alone you could then invest more on something better.

Half-decent spin bikes can now be had for buttons on auction sites. Covid1 saw loads bought which are now sat around unused. Many have a place to rest an iPad or similar. Personally I would go S/H and cheap-ish. If you find enjoy exercising home alone you could then invest more on something better.
I agree there are lots about but some tips on which are quieter to use would be a useful way of slimming down the options….

advertisement

Back