advertisement

Gary Lineker vs. BBC

^^^^^
Vampire Bat, Flea, Leech, Bed Bug, Tory Scum - they're all the blood-sucking same - Genus Parasitus.

John

I have no idea if Gary Lineker is any good at what he does ...
It took me a while to realise a lot of the fish posting here aren't footie fans, obviously only my opinion: Gary Lineker was a national football hero, who turned out to be a witty and engaging presenter of football, typically self deprecating of his own achievements in the game. Most other presenters are just that, sports presenters, they haven't played professionally, let alone top flight, definitely not for their country and could only dream of scoring a world cup goal nevermind the most goals at a world cup. Without a doubt that unique experience gave him an advantage he used well. He rapidly rose to the top of the presenting game too, and has stayed there for many years. Hope that helps.

Lineker is very smart, he left school with o-levels & by all accounts was capable academically. Obviously football took up his time & he was very good at it. He is one life’s naturals, an excellent snooker player & golfer.

On short a true polymath.

Not liking Gary Lineker is like not liking Sir David Attenborough. Who, as it happens, is also in trouble with the BBC for his radical communistic shitposting.

The fact that everyone other than a few right wing cranks don't like and respect him is part of why he poses a political problem for the government. You would think that the fact that he manages to pay less than he should actually make him popular with those cranks and lead to 100% popularity. But apparently tax avoidance is only cool if you are the right sort of person so it doesn't help here.

I would if I did, but I don't. Your attempt to deliberately conflate what was actually said with that nonsense reflects poorly on you.

Another rather bizarre attempt to defend the indefensible. You know what Dachau was then and what it became. None of which has anything to do with the comments of Lineker. Braverman knew who she was playing to with her deliberately couched comments and rather stupid exaggerations. Seems to include you.

Then of course there’s 1930s Britain,

1gyuxzY.jpg

….then 2014, same Tory newspaper,

1WPOTdH.jpg

I won’t trouble anyone with the almost identical German 1930s cartoon comparing people with rats.

haha....spot the difference. the guy on the left must be well proud he was not photoshopped.

52743504769_60a966c1d9_b.jpg
Both images equally abhorrent - what was the point of photoshopping? As far as right-wing scum goes, surely it was gilding the lily?

….then 2014, same Tory newspaper,

1WPOTdH.jpg

I’d never seen that before. Just vile, though pretty much what I expect from the Tories very own Der Stürmer. I assume Paul Dacre was the editor at the time. In the news now as part of the endless stream of shit Britain Trump is attempting to shovel into the HoL. Also worth noting just how desperate the Tories were in trying to get him to control Ofcom. That sort of fascist imagery is their idea of neutrality and impartiality.

I’d never seen that before. Just vile, though pretty much what I expect from the Tories very own Der Stürmer. I assume Paul Dacre was the editor at the time. In the news now as part of the endless stream of shit Britain Trump is attempting to shovel into the HoL. Also worth noting just how desperate the Tories were in trying to get him to control Ofcom. That sort of fascist imagery is their idea of neutrality and impartiality.
They’re utterly brazen about it, you can even pay for a print,

8Gxz4SH.jpg

^^^^^^

You're going to have to do a lot better than that if you want to compare Braverman to Hitler and not look ridiculous.

The Nazis had Dachau open in March 1933 for people like Lineker. I don't see how you can say 'but their racist language was relatively mild so it's fair to use them for a comparison' with the British government' with a straight face.
Lineker did not draw comparisons with concentration camps. But the real point is that Dachau did not come out of nowhere, it came from a climate of fear that was built up over years and started with propaganda. It started with words.

And here Lineker is entirely correct. Tory language against asylum seekers from Cameroon to today is littered with words like ‘swarm’, ‘marauding’, ‘flood’ and ‘invasion’ and it does echo early Nazi antisemitic propaganda that sought to dehumanise Jews and portray them as a threat to Germany. The examples are many, but you could start with something like Kurt Hilmar Eitzen’s 1936 piece ‘Ten Responses to Jewish Lackeys’ or the legion of cartoons already alluded to above with their echoes today.

The Tory policy against asylum seekers is undoubtedly inhumane, inhuman and truly is ‘beyond awful’ and ‘immeasurably cruel’.

Board of Deputies of British [Tory] Jews apologises for calling journalist an ‘asshole’
Tweet, now deleted, was in response to Rachel Shabi’s comments on Holocaust education

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2...or-calling-journalist-rachel-shabi-an-asshole
“A key tenet of Holocaust education is never again, for anyone. The Holocaust is unique, but ‘never again’ is universal. Drawing out similarities and parallels is critical and part of the education.”

Difficult to see what’s wrong with this?

“A key tenet of Holocaust education is never again, for anyone. The Holocaust is unique, but ‘never again’ is universal. Drawing out similarities and parallels is critical and part of the education.”

Difficult to see what’s wrong with this?

I can't. In fact I thought it was spot on when I read it the other day. There's a great danger in treating the Holocaust as a one off i.e. the most despicable act that humans might ever be capable of.

I can't. In fact I thought it was spot on when I read it the other day..
Absolutely. Drawing out similarities and parallels absolutely is central to education. If we don’t learn from history, we are doomed to repeat it. And in terms of language, we are repeating it.

All the talk of concentration camps and fully formed Nazism, miss the fundamental point that fascism does not appear fully formed out of nowhere, it starts with words. Narrative is foundational

Last edited:
Lineker did not draw comparisons with concentration camps. But the real point is that Dachau did not come out of nowhere, it came from a climate of fear that was built up over years and started with propaganda. It started with words.

And with the British contribution! The first camps to be known by that name were set up during the Second Boer War. The conditions were appalling, and thousands of Boer women and children died in them. Their existence was kept from the British public, until Sir Henry Campbell-Bannerman blew the lid off, describing them as "methods of barbarism". There is a monument to the dead in Bloemfontein:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natio...'s Monument (Afrikaans,Site in the Free State.

It's a reminder that deliberate cruelty has long been an instrument of Government policy everywhere.

Sky News now reporting that Lineker will be returning and the BBC will apologise for their behaviour in this.

As such it looks like the Tories get to keep their power structure of Sharp, Davie etc in place and therefore retain the vice-like grip over BBC political positioning which is highly annoying. I really wanted Sharp’s head here. This highly partisan shit at the top of BBC management needs flushing right out for the organisation to be taken seriously again. At present it is a tax payer-funded GB News alternative IMHO.

advertisement

Back