advertisement

Gary Lineker vs. BBC

"The Women’s Super League match between Chelsea and Manchester United is now on air on BBC Two, with world feed commentator Nigel Adderley.

The world feed is not run by the BBC, it is full match commentary designed for a global audience."
I stand corrected - brilliant goal to win the match all the same!

GBNews is a low rent vomitorium with FoxNews standards of content. You’d think various Tory politicians inc former Ministers would give it a wide berth in case the stink attaches itself to them from the seats but it shows how far toward Farage and Tommy Robinson their party has shifted.

He isn’t a martyr. He gained the biggest swing to Labour since Atlee’s 45 landslide. His policies (which were pretty much indistinguishable from Harold Wilson’s) chimed with millions.

He subsequently faced the full force of an establishment determined to smear him and prevent him ever becoming PM. A very British coup. His biggest mistake was to try to play by their rules, and in that it’s difficult to see how failure could have been avoided. You can’t take on the spooks by playing by their rules. They’ve been at it too long and are far too good at it.
Bigger swing than Blair? Of course the difference is that Atlee & Blair were actually elected. It’s also worth noting that May had the largest SoV since Thatcher in 79; statistics can tell you everything & nothing. Anyway we’ve had these arguments & the Lineker situation is irrelevant to Kier Starmer; why not jump on the other thread to crap on about him?

Ironic critical mass has now been achieved and we are about to enter a new realm of particle physics (Twitter). The lack of self awareness here is just beyond belief. What an absolute prick.

Portillo's attempt to rewrite the facts, via insults and a truly pathetic attempt at gas-lighting, is pure Tory doctrine, and yet somewhat desperate. Tory Central must be becoming very worried, perhaps because they're now feeling the heat of much media attention, not only upon their inhumane policies re: refugees, but their blatant manipulation of BBC policy to suit their far-right agenda.

I'm with @Finnegan - stand with Gaz.

John

The rules were subsequently tightened to include “High Profile” not just News and Current Affairs. I understand that within the BBC it is expressly known as ‘The Lineker Clause’. Seems to have backfired.
It doesn’t seem to apply to Alan Sugar who tweets some genuinely horrible stuff. Apologies if this has already been raised.

So in summary...

1) There are lots of BBC presenters who have expressed personal political views outside of the BBC. This has been happening without comment for years.

2) The current government thinks the conservative (small c) BBC is too left wing so it appointed a bunch of Conservative (big C) people to run it.

3) The BBC has chosen to crack down on one presenter for expressing a political view in a personal capacity.

4) That view is politically critical of the government and in contrast to the political views of the people they put in charge of the BBC.

5) Because of the presenter's profile and popularity the criticism has reached a wide audience which is very rare given the UK's media landscape.

6) By any reasonable assessment this is the government attempting to crack down on political views with which it disagrees.

The reader should now be able to complete the final clue in today's crossword :

B _ _ _ _ a R _ p _ _ _ _ c

Portillo's attempt to rewrite the facts, via insults and a truly pathetic attempt at gas-lighting, is pure Tory doctrine, and yet somewhat desperate. Tory Central must be becoming very worried, perhaps because they're now feeling the heat of much media attention, not only upon their inhumane policies re: refugees, but their blatant manipulation of BBC policy to suit their far-right agenda.

I'm with @Finnegan - stand with Gaz.

John
That I think is the danger. Electorally they are a cornered animal and I’m pretty certain they are going to stoke civil unrest- not over what their 13 years has done to living standards- but over “the boats”, Trans women, the EU etc. The arsonists who start the fire then return to the scene wearing outfits, claiming to be best suited to putting it out.

Hopefully this will make you feel better. Worked for me

That scene is burned into my memory, one of the most pleasurable election nights I can remember and if the polling is right, the next one is going to be a treasure trove. Definitely an all nighter to be shared with friends and a celebration bottle or two in the fridge. Personally I can’t wait.

just played it- compulsive viewing. Did that make me feel good.

Bigger swing than Blair? Of course the difference is that Atlee & Blair were actually elected. It’s also worth noting that May had the largest SoV since Thatcher in 79; statistics can tell you everything & nothing. Anyway we’ve had these arguments & the Lineker situation is irrelevant to Kier Starmer; why not jump on the other thread to crap on about him?
Irrelevant, yet you still felt compelled to comment.

The statistics in this case tell you that in 2017 Corbyn was, despite what the revisionists say, widely popular. I was answering a point raised by another poster, and whether it gains your approbation or otherwise, I will remain on this thread; unless you’re calling the shots around here now?

Irrelevant, yet you still felt compelled to comment.

The statistics in this case tell you that in 2017 Corbyn was, despite what the revisionists say, widely popular. I was answering a point raised by another poster, and whether it gains your approbation or otherwise, I will remain on this thread; unless you’re calling the shots around here now?

Tony Bliar doesn't have quite the same ring...

advertisement

Back