advertisement

Which (if any) of your components are ‘end game’

Which (if any) of your components are endgame?

• Speakers

Votes: 167 59.2%
  • Power amp

Votes: 93 33.0%
  • Pre amp

Votes: 83 29.4%
  • Integrated amp

Votes: 55 19.5%
  • Turntable

Votes: 132 46.8%
  • Phono stage

Votes: 68 24.1%
  • Cartridge

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • DAC

Votes: 56 19.9%
  • Streamer

Votes: 43 15.2%
  • CD

Votes: 61 21.6%

• Total voters
Freshly serviced stacked quad 57s, a couple of different DHT preamps, modified Lenco deck, and various other bits of DIY mean I ticked more of the boxes than I thought I would when I first saw the list. Very interesting to see how people settle down with different components. I have a sneaking suspicion that people change front end, particularly digital front end more than anything else.

My Mana wall shelf - my floors are so springy I can't get anywhere near my turntable when it's on a stand unless walk up to it very slowly and very gently. Seriously, I can't laugh, fart or sneeze within a metre radius or the bloody needle jumps about like a bloody flea on amphetamine! As long as I continue to live in this flat then I MUST have my turntable on a wall.

Yes the wall shelf, any wall shelf, is an excellent – the only – solution to springy floorboards.
Mine is a cheap and cheerful Target.

I’m glad you like it. I’m nothing if not a crusader for gear I like. What have you compared it to?

In this setup, with the B&Ws, most obviously my previous Bryston B135-3 and “temporary” Arcam AVR360.

The Arcam ran the speakers for months while awaiting the return of the Bryston, and I always felt was likely rather holding the speakers back.

When the Bryston did return it was in the system for just a few hours (it had a minor issue and had to be sent back - see separate thread for longer story if you care!) and was a clear improvement, as one might expect. Tighter bass was the most obvious difference.

The Avid is a whole other thing. Bass is indeed under much greater control, and there’s more of it. Again, perhaps the area that one might expect. The overall dynamics are up quite a notch too, with everything seeming more real as a result. However, the detail now apparent in the mid-range and up is something else. I really didn’t expect this.

In summary, over the years my system has seen plenty of both speaker and amp changes. I’ve only previously ever heard such differences as the Avid brings when hearing speaker upgrades. It’s a keeper!

Can I have a "none" to vote for? It isn't like I'm a box swapper, I have had essentially the same system for 30+ years, but I never even aim for end game, not sure I understand the concept.

I fiddle with HiFi when I have the time and energy. I might occasionally think I will downsize to a nice integrated and build myself some nice passive cross overs for the SBLs (currently active). Perhaps when I retire I might build myself some diy Nelson Pass stuff, or if I ever get a room where speakers can breathe move to ESLs say. These are all fun on the way to, well, my end I suppose, but I just don't have end game HiFi plans as such. I have no doubt if I ever did any of these things I would then think, you know, I have never had say some RFC Tannoys or horns or valves or whatever and so reserve my right it muck about some more but none of it would be end game HiFi, I expect to expire before I have done fiddling about ...

As long as it lasts, all of it. It’s been around 8yrs now since any serious system changes.

Audial DAC, Royd RR3 speakers and LFD PA2M (SE) power are probably the units I’d miss the most.

Avantgarde Duo XD speakers - love them, they do everything I want and besides they're too frickin' heavy to even consider lumping them down the steps and out the house now, so they're staying

Techdas AirForce 3 turntable plus Graham Elite arm - keeper. Would only be tempted to change if I find a cost effective upgrade to the AF3 Premium.

Hana Umami Cartridge - sounds great but will continue to look for the final cart over next year or two

Dartzeel NHB 18NS preamp - suits my ears down to the ground - will only be going back to Dartzeel for upgrade at some point so its a keeper

DIY SIT monoblocks - just too good a match for the Duos and my ears, so staying

Technics RS1500 and Teac X2000M reel to reel decks - staying. Don't really have space for an uber studio deck so these are safe

DDDAC 1794 - best NOS Dac I've heard and that suits my ears so staying

Aurender N100H streamer - will probably get replaced as it becomes obsolete/ unsupported

Funny how in these lists a lot of people comment on their streamers and state " probably replace when it becomes obsolete "

That's an alien concept to me.....I can't imagine owning something that can't be repaired or upgraded one way or another.

Funny how in these lists a lot of people comment on their streamers and state " probably replace when it becomes obsolete "

That's an alien concept to me.....I can't imagine owning something that can't be repaired or upgraded one way or another.

I'm exactly the same. I'll never buy anything that relies on an external app.

Off topic but I heard the other week that people were having trouble charging their Tesla cars because there was a problem with the app.

Imagine what ill-intending hackers could do with that possibility in years to come.

I ticked 7 of the items.

I am not looking to change anything, but if an insane bargain appeared, and I had the money (not neccessarily a lot in some cases), and the opportunity, driven by curiosity, I would probably bite. I could always sell it on.......................

Curiosity will always make me wonder about cart's at £2K+++++, and power amps at £5K+++++++++, but I do not see me ever goping there.

@Rug Doc - you forgot tonearms - once you get into end-game territory they count for at least as much as the rest of vinyl replay.

My systems have been stable for a long while now. I can’t see myself ever selling the complete TD-124, Tannoys, Quad 303(s), Verdier pre, JR149s, the Leak TL12 Plus mono amps or the Audio Synthesis passive pres. Even if things move around a little these are not going out the door. There are still other things out there I’d love to spend time with, but not as a replacement. As such I ticked turntable, preamp, power amp, speakers, phono stage & cartridge as I know I’ll not sell anything here.

Other stuff is up for debate. I’m not committing to digital as that is still a moving target at least to some degree, plus I’ve got a lot of stuff sitting around at present (2x Stereo 20s, 3x spare 3009s etc), but they are doing far better than my savings, so why worry? I also don’t need three pairs of mini-monitors, @nd when it comes to the crunch point the 149s will likely be staying, the S3/5Rs and LS3/5As going, but again just no need to worry as they aren’t going down in value, plus nice to have a little variety.

My TDL reference standard speakers. I lusted over them for years and finally found a pair that were clones with improved dampening, all NOS speakers and a few spares. The person who made them is a fanatic and I heard them side by side with a pair of original Reference and they were much better especially in the bass which was much tighter. Downside is that shortly after we downsized and the room is really too small they still sound wonderful but really take up a lot of space. SWMBO has been very tolerant.

advertisement

Back