advertisement

"transport bolts" on Garrard 401?

naimnut

Deep in the Mines of Soul
I can't seem to find any transport bolts on my 401. I managed to track down a nice color photo on the internet that showed where they should be but it only left me scratching my head, because I couldn't seem to see what to do to what bolt or screw.
What I ended up doing to transport my 401 was to fold up some cloth underneath that pushed the motor unit up towards the top of the plinth. That seemed to work well.
I'm asking for help here because I will soon be bringing the thing back home and am hoping to "do it right".
Thanks, in advance, for any help anyone can provide.
Markus

Set the fine speed adjust to ‘max’ too, it moves the magnet away from the eddy-brake wheel.

The transit lock assembly which is two bolts, a couple of springs and a bottom plate, do come you as spares now and again. I’d keep an eye out so moving it in future is easier.

This is where it is located on underside of base plate.

qZ7XRDZh.png

There was a trend at one point to remove them, I’ve seen a few 301s and 401s go through eBay missing them. Makes them a very risky purchase.

Mine came off because at some time in its life someone had removed the circlips at the end stop! Flew off with some force too.

Ok. Just to confirm. The transport bolts are accessed from underneath the 'table. I'm guessing that screwing them in clockwise (righty-tighty) will raise the whatever-it-is (motor housing?). I screw the bolts in as far as they can go, right?

Ok. Just to confirm. The transport bolts are accessed from underneath the 'table. I'm guessing that screwing them in clockwise (righty-tighty) will raise the whatever-it-is (motor housing?). I screw the bolts in as far as they can go, right?

No, they are accessed from the top. The screws lift the platform upwards from the top. Go to VinylEngine and grab the manual.

Thank you for helping me understand. Some of this is abstract for me at this time because the turntable is at a shop getting a new plinth. What I did previously was to insert a rolled up cloth below the motor Pod and push it up so that it was not hanging in its normal position. That seemed to work pretty well.

Get them to fit a motor transit clamp whilst they’re at it. Easier whilst it’s out of the plinth, it’s a tricky job!

Geez. Thanks. How could I have overlooked that post? I don't know. Musta' been distracted. Thanks for drawing it to my attention @Fergus .

I'll have to take a look. Turns out the artist/woodworker who is crafting the new plinth is busy with a $$$$ project for a few more days so I'm going to go pick up the Garrard and bring it home and use it in the old plinth for a few days. I'll take a close look.

One question is how hard should it be to turn the transit bolts? Seems to me that I attempted this, last time I transported it, and they wouldn't budge. Hence my make-do arrangement with the rolled up cloth.

One question is how hard should it be to turn the transit bolts? Seems to me that I attempted this, last time I transported it, and they wouldn't budge. Hence my make-do arrangement with the rolled up cloth.
Hi naimnut, I’d just like to say do not overtighten the transit bolts,
I bought a Classic Turntable Co. 401 and the seller over tightened it,
it broke the motor frame it bolts onto on one side in transit, no issues in use,
I sold it years later at a loss when I moved house and was lucky enough to find a local buyer,
please be careful.

Thanks all, for your support. It made all the difference. Somehow, the fact that they were painted red and recessed way down inside the chassis - somehow I didn't understand that.
What I did was I pushed up on the transit clamp while I was looking for them and low and behold, easy peasy.
Thanks again all for your patience and willingness to help me out.

advertisement

Back