advertisement

Naim Boards Question 1 of 2

Seacow

pfm Member
Evening all

Going through my late Father In Laws Naim gear and found these circuit boards. On of the 62 Pre has the upgraded RSL boards but I think he didn’t install them all so I assume that these are the unused ones plus the original Naim boards - could my thinking be correct and if so do I keep these with the upgraded pre and/or is there any value or use in them?

Cheers

Those original Naim boards have all been modified or "refreshed", they all have new tants and aftermarket caps. They have value for those folks who like to keep their Naim gear sounding like Naim gear also should you decide to resell as many buyers like to buy gear in original shape. Those replacement caps will have a different flavor though from the original Roederstein's which IMO have/had a certain je ne sais quoi.

Last edited:
For an alternative position: they look like a possibly WitchHat serviced set, so good for another 30 years use as opposed to potentially knackered caps due to fail soon :p I am playing devil's advocate but it is also true that tants in particular can go pop and even the mighty Roe "top hats" age.

If you are happy with the RSL boards and don't like clutter then these will sell in the classifieds here or on eBay, a quick search will show prices but let us say in the region of £50 a pair give or take a few tens.

If, as tpetsch says, you want the original Naim back at any point I'm sure a trip to Class A would restore them to Naim approved caps even if not the long obsolete Roe but I wouldn't bother, they are no longer so original to appeal to those that seek that nor in need of a service. It you want to sell the preamp then probably best to sell the RSL cards separately and sell the pre with the Naim cards refitted as this would be more original, not withstanding the comments above.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Hmm don't think these came from a 62 either? Thought the 62 was just phono cards, the rest is on the main PCB, these are from a 72 probably ... you have Naim original 321 gain and 729 phase align boards there.

These boards are from a 72, and some of them have original Naim caps, so quite a mix there. Although the phono cards and 324 boards could have been WH serviced, it would have been in the very early days of WH, as I didn't use those stickers on the caps for very long ;)

Thanks again for all the helpful advice. I need to research the RSL boards again as said above probably best to sell RSL boards separately if/when I sell. I also need to look at my preamps I had assumed both were the same but suspect I may have a 72 and a 62 or I could just be confusing myself!!

If you show a photo of the RSL boards or tell me your FIL's name, I can identify the version era of them. Might help if you do want to sell them. However, no matter what era, they will sound better than the original Naim boards IMHO.

advertisement

Back