advertisement

Sugden Masterclass Phono Amp

Seacow

pfm Member
My last question of the evening. I have this Phono stage and cant find a great deal of info about it online - more the more recent models. This was in the Naim set up but not sure why this was used rather than the direct into the phono stage on the Naim pre-amp. Presumably this is an improvement? It is probably surplus to my requirements but dont want to get rid if I am missing a trick!

It’s a top of the range Sugden phono stage from c 2005. Probably cost £1500 at the time. Probably truly excellent.

Why not take a listen?

The NAIM phono boards were OK in their day, but I doubt they are as good as the Sugden into the NAIM line in sockets.

I might add that if you wanted to go back to the simplicity of a single box, and given that judging by your other posts you have a Naim NAC72, there is an option to upgrade the phono cards in the NAC72 with replacement phono cards. These, to my ears significantly out perform the stock Naim cards, though others will be along soon to tell you that there is magic in the Naim cards that nothing can ever improve on, blessed by JV and so sacred ;)

It is easy to spend others money, and easy to end up recommending your own choices to others, but depending on your own priorties and ears, you may favour keeping the Sugden, or you may wish to reduce box count and go back to the original Naim cards and sound (if they are still around somewhere? Would be NA322 for MM or NA323 for MC), or you might wish to reduce box count and try third party replacement cards like RSL or NJ who both do "improved" versions of the original Naim MM and MC cards. All these cards are an easy drop in replacement, no skills required other than the ability to undo the feet, slip the NAC72 case off, and plug in the cards.

EDIT: The current version of the Sugden is c.£2.4k so not to be discarded lightly, equally should fetch some decent money second hand if surplus to requirements!

With 2 MC + 1 MM imputs and no doubt excellent build quality - What's not too like, especially if one has 2 or 3 t/tables and only one amplifier input.
I would have liked to try one, but reasonably priced 2/hand ones appear very infrequently, and over the years I've missed a couple, but my 'pensioner' status, surfeit of other 'kit', means it is probably unlikely that I shall.
The item in the images is an earlier iteration of this one :- https://www.sugdenaudio.com/pa-4-phono-amplifier.
Regards
Mike K.

Thanks for all the responses. I assumed it was a case of being better than the Naim boxes. Interestingly the Naim pre I have does have the upgraded RSL boards which also had me pondering!!

I loved they way the whole set up sounded when in its original location. I currently have half the set up running with very underpowered speakers. I need to get the SBLs and the racks on my next trip. I’m not sure given the value we can justify keeping it but will certainly have a play before some or all of it goes. I will get some pics up when it’s back together!

advertisement

Back