advertisement

Another mains fuse hits the streets

Yes but we need to know if you’re negatively or positively biased otherwise how will we know which way the current flows ?

It's usually towards the sea or lake, however one is bi-arsed. Sorry, more silliness to a thread with suspect directionality; not a criticism, I may add.

Hmm, every house has a 63A or 80A or 100A fuses in the meter tails

Not sure what this refers to, David, Main fuses used to be 60A, sometimes 80A but largely, now, 100A, I'd imagine. However, meter tails fuse? What's this?

He's referring to the main incoming fuse Mike.
Sometimes called the Service head. The tails are the 16 or 25mm cables that go from the head to the meter then to an isolator or consumer unit.

I don't care if a £600 fuse makes a difference or not, I wouldn't buy one. Sometimes principals matter.

There is no way that the manufacturing of a mains fuse can justify a £600 price tag. No materials, no testing, nothing leaves you with the need for a £600 price ticket. So basically what the manufacturer is saying is 'We know that you are sufficiently addicted and gullible that you will pay whatever we decide in order to get a fix.

Whether or not the fuse does anything is irrelevant. It's insulting, it's offensive and they can keep it.

There is no way that the manufacturing of a mains fuse can justify a £600 price tag. No materials, no testing, nothing leaves you with the need for a £600 price ticket.
I think you may be underestimating the cost of brib.....sorry, convincing plausible looking coves to spout stellar level bollox on behalf of the product.

Re the Cheshire Audio video: It would have made a lot more sense and I am very surprised the dealer didn't mention this to his customer, that running his customers "high end system" via a mains distribution board and then connecting a feeding IEC lead from that into a single mains socket (see config 1 below) is not a great idea, as a lot is dependant on the single feeding IEC lead, plus there are two mains fuses in line with this solution. Before selling him the fuse, the dealer should have recommended the customer having separate mains wall sockets fitted, say 2 or 3 double sockets and plugging each component into each mains socket, so twin & earth cabling connections all of these sockets together in the normal ring configuration (see Config 2 in the diagram below). This would have allowed each component to have had its own main supply feed and not going through two IEC mains leads, plus only one inline fuse for each piece of Hi-FI and not two.

P.S. I note the post with the video included has been taken down. Anyway the diagrams below cover it.

Mains-Supply-System-e1710429368848.jpg

the dealer should have recommended the customer having separate mains wall sockets fitted, say 2 or 3 double sockets and plugging each component into each mains socket,
What I have. Yes, it made a difference. Did not cost £600, just the cost of the parts as I did it myself.

Makes note never to buy anything from Cheshire Audio

I wouldn't go quite that far. He seems a genuine enough guy, but he does have some odd views.

I also get the impression that he's somewhere on the spectrum, but we all are I suppose.

Fair enough. Not sure why the video has been removed but without it my comment looks even less generous.

Is that 'distribution board' in the diagram above a fancy name for an extension lead? Two fuses before the mains socket !!!! Silly and a retrograde step. The fewer fuses and connections you can achieve, the potentially better the dynamics (a.k.a. s.q.). Haven't used any for the best part of a long time except for case fuses and RCBOs.

What about the plugs on the power leads?
Only IEC plugs or hard-wired to amplifiers. No fuses as they're (8 of them) hard-wired to individual radials to separate c.u. Of course, the MCB in the consumer unit is a fuse, but more efficient than wired ones, I believe.. I've RCBOs which combine these with an RCD individually per radial.

Only IEC plugs or hard-wired to amplifiers. No fuses as they're (8 of them) hard-wired to individual radials to separate c.u. Of course, the MCB in the consumer unit is a fuse, but more efficient than wired ones, I believe.. I've RCBOs which combine these with an RCD individually per radial.
All I have shown in the 2 diagrams is what is located in the listening room, nothing else. It highlights in diagram one that the whole system (via a mains distribution unit) is powered from one mains lead through one plug and one fuse. Not forgetting the other mains fuses in the other individual mains leads from the distribution back to the Hi-Fi equipment, so that one fuse in the plug that is plugged into the mains wall socket might be somewhat influential in what the customer and dealer had heard, as that one fuse effects the whole system.

advertisement

Back