advertisement

Considering upgrades vs. life expectancy

I consider the life expectancy of the upgrade. Some, like a bearing should last indefinitely , Cartridges however....

It is nonsense.
Taking it to its logical extreme me, as a 71 year old, should not buy any more decent shoes cos they may out last me and per annum cost a fortune.
I am just about to have a brand new, very expensive kitchen fitted. I will more than likely be dead in ten years. So what? I want a nice new kitchen.
No one knows how long they have left. Even a thirty year old.

Hopefully a few years yet before you give up buying longlife batteries Bob ;-)

Seriously - My kit 'upgrade path' ended in 1974 with a full Quad system. Since then all kit I purchased was designed to last 20 years, after that it was dumped. (Sorry TonyL) A good system that works for me. My present system sounds great and I look forward to playing music each day. The 20 year rule applies to it as well and at 74 years old coincides with my falling off my perch. If I am unlucky I have a Meridian F80 for a retirement home CD/radio system. Cheer up, I am a Buddhist so next time I will try to remember everything:D:D

With hi-fi I'm half ligger, half opportunist, half idiot (3 halves), but I'm buggered if I'm buying another MacBook Pro before I'm dead.

Does anyone look at their upgrades or purchases in terms of how much they would cost when averaged out over their remaining years of listening?

It's a very good question. In my experience most people simply do not acknowledge their own mortality and behave as though they expect to live forever.

I agree with that sentiment. If you have the means and the desire for something expensive, go ahead and buy it. There's no way to know how long you will be around. Calculations like in the OP are futile.

You can’t predict the future except that at some point you won’t be there to see it and with an increasing probability the further ahead you look. Would you rather keep the money for your offspring to enjoy, fund your place in a care home or blow some of it on comfort for your mind.

I’m blowing the lot on mind comfort and leaving it to the offspring. I’m swapping the care home for a blow to the head.

Interesting thread. Personally, I am currently upgrading to my endpoint system at the age of 65. So assuming I live another 15 years, my investment will equate to around £3 a day. However, as I listen to music for around 6 to 10 hours most days that works out to around 30p an hour plus electricity and new media. So for the cost of an Americano in a town centre cafe, I get many hours of enjoyment, which seems a good bargain.

advertisement

Back