advertisement

The return of Fawlty Towers

I suspect if you watched FT now, viewed through the prism of current social awareness, it'd look as dated and awkward as many of its peers. Not many from that era have survived intact, and I suspect this wouldn't be one of them.

I always liked the episode where Fawlty tried to hide his bet winnings from Sybil; the climatic sketch with Manuel pretending that "I know nothing" was brilliantly done.

A lot of it is cringe, best British comedy or sitcom - no chance.

I always liked the episode where Fawlty tried to hide his bet winnings from Sybil; the climatic sketch with Manuel pretending that "I know nothing" was brilliantly done.

A lot of it is cringe, best British comedy or sitcom - no chance.
Was Manuel a weather forecaster?

I suspect if you watched FT now, viewed through the prism of current social awareness, it'd look as dated and awkward as many of its peers. Not many from that era have survived intact, and I suspect this wouldn't be one of them.
I don't watch old TV or read old books through a modern prism, I like to do it through the prism of the time.

I preferred Ripping Yarns back then. I have it all on DvD.

I would happily watch the original Fawlty Towers. I had a real crush on Prunella Scales!

if they manage to make anything I will watch at least one episode so that I can justify slagging it off. I struggle to find any sit-com funny anymore.

I was still at school when the first episode was aired. I'm retired now.

I think John Cleese should be too.

Snap! So was I on both counts. The only difference was that I was teaching :D. I admire anyone in entertainment who carries on to the end. Yes, I remember ITMA; my father used to guffaw into the table-top radio. Guess the Goon Show is where it properly began for me; curate's egg, that one, but for younger listeners.

The funniest TV show for me was and is WILTY (Would I Lie to You). So many episodes going way back and repeated ad nauseam; still funny on the fifth or more viewings. Same hosts too; says something !

How old are some pfm members??? Hancock's Half Hour - didn't that finish in 1960??

Regards

Richard
69¾ here. And i think it was early 60s when it ended. I’ve got the radio series on cd somewhere. His delivery and timing were great. Loads of comedians of today say everyone copies him. Richard Briars in The Good Life definitely does and you can hear him in Margot when she says “well thank you very much“ although he’d deliver it way better. Think there’s some of his stuff on Gold or Channel 5

advertisement

Back