advertisement

How much per month is your gas bill at the moment?

Maybe I am misremembering. When I say "negative balance", I'm talking about a dip to -£10 or -£20 in the coldest months, not hundreds. I have never, ever been in a situation before like this, where my balance was +£630 in credit in mid-winter though. Someone is taking the Michael.

I've got the cash back now, safe in my savings account. Took a bit of work hassling them (Octopus). Also had to hassle them to drop my DD back to where it was after the first massive 30% hike in autumn of '21. They've removed the customer's ability to drop the DD below their arbitrary "Recommended Amount" on-line, which would have seen them "resting" £2,200 of my cash by late summer '23.

As previously pointed out download the app and you have complete control over your payments.
I’m paying £67 a month less than they recommend.

I have just had to read my Gas/Electricity meters for EDF. Checking over the last 12 months Feb22 to Feb23 the estimated usage on which my monthly DD is calculated is spot on.

DV
Great news! Let's all have a party,

Meanwhile, during that same period the paupers have tried to reduce their usage due to increased cost, for what that's worth when tory gangsters are running the show.

Great news! Let's all have a party,

Meanwhile, during that same period the paupers have tried to reduce their usage due to increased cost, for what that's worth when tory gangsters are running the show.
Psst, I think your response was meant for Ponty :)

We have just found out that my wife’s 87 year old mother has been in a right state today, she received a bill from BG for £775 and she rang them to ask why her bill was so high/wrong as she’d never had a bill like this ever before, she was given the usual runaround on their call system, came away none the wiser.

We’ve looked and seen the bill tonight, it is correct, we have done our best to appease her, she’s now calmed down, but this is the plight faced by many older people, was a mess this is!

We have just found out that my wife’s 87 year old mother has been in a right state today, she received a bill from BG for £775 and she rang them to ask why her bill was so high/wrong as she’d never had a bill like this ever before, she was given the usual runaround on their call system, came away none the wiser.

We’ve looked and seen the bill tonight, it is correct, we have done our best to appease her, she’s now calmed down, but this is the plight faced by many older people, was a mess this is!

Surely her BP dividend will offset the British Gas gas bill? And petrol is down in price too, saving her even more money.

Good Morning All,

Relieved to see my energy bill for January was only £247.17 in total (so that's half the month on the new, more expensive tariff). Of that £41.30 was charging the EV so 'only' £205.87 for the house.

I'll re-visit/ edit this post when I've worked out what the batteries have 'saved'.

Edit 1 - The PylonTechs have taken 1388kWh of charging at £0.12 = £166.55. They have given up 1281kWh in return which would have cost me 1281 x £0.404 = £517.52. They've 'saved' me £350.97 in January alone.

Waiting on PW2 data downloading/ transferring information.

Edit 2 - The PW2 used 341.2kWh of charging at £0.12 = £40.95. They delivered 307.1kWh at £0.404 would would have cost me £124.07. They have 'saved' me £83.12 in January.

Total battery savings = £350.97 + £83.12 = £434.09........

Regards

Richard

Last edited:
British Gas is really sorry for breaking into people's house.

I am not a supporter of British Gas but, in fairness, the people conducting the house entries are doing it within the law in that they have had the necessary warrants so the term 'breaking in' is not accurate. The terms under which the warrants were issued may be questionable but I don't have the information to make any call on that.

Regards

Richard

Just had an email from Ovo that the £200 "Domestic Alternative Fuel Payment" will be getting paid out in February "This is being given to eligible customers in Great Britain who use alternative energy sources to heat their homes, like oil, coal, liquified petroleum gas (LPG) or biomass, in recognition of the pressures caused by the rising costs of those fuels." In our area there is no mains gas so it likely to be applied to pretty much everyone, however there are houses with air source heat pumps so I wonder if they'll get the payment or not.

In our area there is no mains gas so it likely to be applied to pretty much everyone, however there are houses with air source heat pumps so I wonder if they'll get the payment or not.

As far as I can make out houses entirely dependent on 'electric heating' will not qualify as they are being subsidised through the £67 a month scheme already (like what we are).

Regards

Richard

As far as I can make out houses entirely dependent on 'electric heating' will not qualify as they are being subsidised through the £67 a month scheme already (like what we are).

In the Cairngorms in winter I wouldn't be surprised if an air-source heat pump (especially in a house that might not have had extensive insulation upgrades) is more expensive to run than an oil fired boiler, so they probably deserve the payment more than most. I'm not sure how Ovo would work out who has a heat pump and how has oil, LPG or biomass though. I've never told them how we heat our cottage anyway.

I'm not sure how Ovo would work out who has a heat pump and how has oil, LPG or biomass though. I've never told them how we heat our cottage anyway.

I would assume that the suppliers would have access to the MCS database although that obviously isn't going to cover every heat pump install especially since the demise of RHI.

Regards

Richard

Funny story.

Visited a customer yesterday. They’ve just come back from a month away in Hong Kong. They turned the room stat to 13 degrees before they went. They came back and the house was over 30 degrees with all the rads red hot. Turns out the motorised valve was stuck open.

The gas bill for that is 1k :eek:

Good Morning All,

This post is related to gas, well kind of.

A couple of images of this rig going alongside the Rough Alpha to decommission/ abandon wells on this platform (the bow tug not visible in this shot):-

zm8g7AK.jpg

There are four anchors out as well.

This is how close we got:-

9JwacGf.jpg

That's Neil the Tow Master touching the platform at 35cm distance - it was mean to be 1.7mtrs according to the plans submitted by Centrica but somebody obviously added this 1mtr platform at some point in the last 40yrs.........

Regards

Richard

January was brutal and cost us £300 for gas alone.

4-bed 1970s detached house. Thermostat set to 22 as I live with my elderly parents. Heating is this weird forced air induction thing which is terrible even though my Dad claims it's the greatest thing ever because they use it in Canada where it's -22 for 3 months and about which I could rant for months.

advertisement

Back