advertisement

Teacher Strike

If I was spending £40k/year on school fees I'd really hope the education they provided was 'better' than the local comp.

Sure it is. You'd meet a class of person, old boys' network and all that. You'd learn how to speak well and to behave well. All this is very important to get on in the world, and I can well understand how someone who could manage it would think it was money well spent. A good investment.

Sure it is. You'd meet a class of person, old boys' network and all that. You'd learn how to speak well and to behave well. All this is very important to get on in the world, and I can well understand how someone who could manage it would think it was money well spent.

All true of course. Though you forgot the most important bit - instilling a sense of superiority over the 'plebs'.

If I was spending £40k/year on school fees I'd really hope the education they provided was 'better' than the local comp.
It isn’t that the teachers are better, it’s that in smaller classes the teacher has more time per pupil. You could improve state education overnight by limiting class sizes to that of £40000 pa fee paying schools

Both of the above true. A ‘better’ School in simple terms is one where all pupils meet or exceed expectations. What those expectations are is where the conversation will begin to be contentious. And very varied.
Broadly, starting at the top, you need clear strong supportive management, great teachers, superb resources, a well designed campus, small classes and motivated kids from an interested and involved family.
That mix is mostly seen in private educational schools, but there are lots of state schools where that mix is nearly achieved, which given that they are less well funded and nearly always with larger classes is remarkable.

I would just like the basics. Like schools that are not likely to collapse disastrously at any time, or even a government that will reveal if your school is one likely to collapse.

D'you mean that those increasing interest payments on gov't debt are a load of hogwash? There's me thinking that the debt was owed to global investors (which is not exactly passing the 'buck' from treasury to BoE and back).

Out of interest, there are a fair number of teachers or ex-teachers on this forum and I suspect that many or most are teachers of non academic subjects. Yes, one or two are in the science and maths area but rarely have I come across English, languages, geography and history. Just an impression, mind, and I could be way out in my observations.

I have to express my ignorance here, on how primary, secondary and tertiary education has changed over the years since I was at the chalk-face. My friend is beyond retirement but still teaching physics and maths in a college but all he does is orally belittle and criticise his own management's incompetence. However, he's now on a point two, mainly evening classes, so has less daily contact to complain about.
I teach English and I lead an SEN provision. Best of both worlds!

It isn’t that the teachers are better, it’s that in smaller classes the teacher has more time per pupil. You could improve state education overnight by limiting class sizes to that of £40000 pa fee paying schools
It stands to reason though that these schools can cherry pick the best and the rest have to deal with the rest

It stands to reason though that these schools can cherry pick the best and the rest have to deal with the rest
Absolutely. I’ve been in all sorts of schools and there is always of good, bad, and indifferent teaching. Except in a bog standard school there is nowhere for a bad or indifferent teacher to hide. Show me a good school and I’ll show you a school with good kids.

I teach English and I lead an SEN provision. Best of both worlds!

Wow! Had a go at SEN (both levels) when I was at college, I think. Not for me, though an interesting experience. However, that was before my first teaching post. Made i/c remedial within 18 months but that was a headmaster dumping tactic and was awful with whole mornings or afternoons with the same class and my own curriculum; not a happy time. Had supply days at (I think) a school for dyslexia (or sth similar), which was okay. Upper juniors and sec. was my comfort area in supply.

D'you teach English at SEN level or is that a separate entity?

Wow! Had a go at SEN (both levels) when I was at college, I think. Not for me, though an interesting experience. However, that was before my first teaching post. Made i/c remedial within 18 months but that was a headmaster dumping tactic and was awful with whole mornings or afternoons with the same class and my own curriculum; not a happy time. Had supply days at (I think) a school for dyslexia (or sth similar), which was okay. Upper juniors and sec. was my comfort area in supply.

D'you teach English at SEN level or is that a separate entity?
I teach English KS3 and SEN. My background is Primary, Special Schools, PRUs, LSUs, SENCo, KS3 English etc. I worked for DFE for a while delivering training on behaviour. I have been everywhere and loved the variety. My original degree was Fine Art! It’s been a really interesting ride. I’m now an SeN/ Nurture/ Deputy Senco which appears to be a sweet spot for me.

advertisement

Back