advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XXIV

When Addenbrooke’s Hospital in Cambridge upgraded its face masks for staff working on COVID-19 wards to filtering face piece 3 (FFP3) respirators, it saw a dramatic fall – up to 100% – in hospital-acquired SARS-CoV-2 infections among these staff. The findings are reported by a team at the University of Cambridge and Cambridge University Hospitals (CUH) NHS Foundation Trust. The research has not yet been peer-reviewed, but is being released early because of the urgent need to share information relating to the pandemic.

"By contrast, the risk of direct infection from working on a COVID-19 ward before the change in respiratory protective equipment was considerably higher than the risk of community-based exposure: staff on COVID-19 wards were at 47 times greater risk of acquiring infection while on the ward than staff working on a non-COVID-19 ward.

Crucially, however, the model showed that the introduction of FFP3 respirators provided up to 100% protection against direct, ward-based COVID-19 infection."

https://www.cam.ac.uk/research/news...cut-hospital-acquired-infections-dramatically

When Addenbrooke’s Hospital in Cambridge upgraded its face masks for staff working on COVID-19 wards to filtering face piece 3 (FFP3) respirators, it saw a dramatic fall – up to 100% – in hospital-acquired SARS-CoV-2 infections among these staff. The findings are reported by a team at the University of Cambridge and Cambridge University Hospitals (CUH) NHS Foundation Trust. The research has not yet been peer-reviewed, but is being released early because of the urgent need to share information relating to the pandemic.

"By contrast, the risk of direct infection from working on a COVID-19 ward before the change in respiratory protective equipment was considerably higher than the risk of community-based exposure: staff on COVID-19 wards were at 47 times greater risk of acquiring infection while on the ward than staff working on a non-COVID-19 ward.

Crucially, however, the model showed that the introduction of FFP3 respirators provided up to 100% protection against direct, ward-based COVID-19 infection."

https://www.cam.ac.uk/research/news...cut-hospital-acquired-infections-dramatically
That is very good news.

Hopefully the peer review and further research will support the early release of the report and the conclusions.

This is of course another data point in the bigger picture of Covid being airborne and that well fitting masks designed to offer good protection from airborne diseases help to considerably reduce the chance of infection.

Although there is strong evidence face masks significantly reduce transmission of such infections both in health-care settings and in the community, some experts do not agree.

An updated Cochrane Review published last week is the latest to suggest face masks don’t work in the community.

However there are problems with the review’s methodology and its underpinning assumptions about transmission.

https://theconversation.com/yes-mas...ovid-despite-a-review-saying-they-dont-198992
Whilst the Cochrane review does not present clear statistical results from their meta analysis that support mask wearing of any type (it does support hand washing to an extent), it is good to see further analysis of these important questions. Further peer review and questioning should push potential future authors to make reports more robust so that everyone can have access to fully justifiable (i.e. what the data says and what the science says so that the loop is completed and consistent) conclusions and recommendations.

The conversation report states the following:

COVID, along with influenza and many other respiratory diseases, is transmitted primarily through the air.
Respirators (such as N95s) are designed and regulated to prevent airborne infections by fitting closely to the face to prevent air leakage and by filtering out 95% or more of potential infectious particles.

In contrast, surgical masks are designed to prevent splatter of fluid on the face and are loose-fitting, causing unfiltered air to leak in through the gaps around the mask. The filtration of a surgical mask is not regulated.
In other words, respirators are designed for respiratory protection and cloth and surgical masks are not.
The review starts with an assumption that masks provide respiratory protection, which is flawed. An understanding of these differences should inform both studies and reviews of those studies.

Which has been my understanding and experience to date.

Whilst the Cochrane review does not present clear statistical results from their meta analysis that support mask wearing of any type (it does support hand washing to an extent), it is good to see further analysis of these important questions. Further peer review and questioning should push potential future authors to make reports more robust so that everyone can have access to fully justifiable (i.e. what the data says and what the science says so that the loop is completed and consistent) conclusions and recommendations.

The conversation report states the following:

COVID, along with influenza and many other respiratory diseases, is transmitted primarily through the air.
Respirators (such as N95s) are designed and regulated to prevent airborne infections by fitting closely to the face to prevent air leakage and by filtering out 95% or more of potential infectious particles.

In contrast, surgical masks are designed to prevent splatter of fluid on the face and are loose-fitting, causing unfiltered air to leak in through the gaps around the mask. The filtration of a surgical mask is not regulated.
In other words, respirators are designed for respiratory protection and cloth and surgical masks are not.
The review starts with an assumption that masks provide respiratory protection, which is flawed. An understanding of these differences should inform both studies and reviews of those studies.

Which has been my understanding and experience to date.
That is a genuinely bizarre article: the authors are essentially arguing that yes, of course you’re going to find that masks don’t work, if you don’t restrict your research to settings involving the mandated, constant use of N95 respirators. And I’m sure that that’s not their intention. These people, honestly.

Currently on a train wearing a surgical mask, fairly confident that this provides a reasonable amount of protection for others against my mild cold, and for me against other viruses.

Currently on a train wearing a surgical mask, fairly confident that this provides a reasonable amount of protection for others against my mild cold,

Sound perfectly reasonable - a surgical mask isn’t going to filter very much, but as any exhalations while you’re wearing it will hit the mask first, it’ll plausibly stop a lot of droplets/virus/whatever getting out.

and for me against other viruses.

Doesn’t sound reasonable to me - a surgical mask isn’t going to filter very much, not least because of all the gaps, so the air flow from the outside will just pass around it.

To protect others, a surgical mask really helps. To protect yourself, something closer fitting that involves more filtration is going to be needed.

I honestly thought that was how most people understood it (at least among those who pay any attention at all).

I honestly thought that was how most people understood it (at least among those who pay any attention at all).
That is the current consensus. You wear a mask for others, not yourself. A FFP3 respirator *does* provide a reasonably good (measurably good) level of protection to the wearer, a surgical (etc) mask doesn't. Surgical masks work on the basis that if most people wear them most of the time then there will be fewer viruses floating about in the air for you to inhale. Surgical masks catch the big particles and droplets as you exhale, they don't do much to stop you imhaling smaller particles floating about, because as you say they don't fit very well to the face. That's the FF bit of the specification. FF = Face Fit. P3 is level of protection, where P3 is better than P2 and much better than P1.

That is the current consensus. You wear a mask for others, not yourself. A FFP3 respirator *does* provide a reasonably good (measurably good) level of protection to the wearer, a surgical (etc) mask doesn't. Surgical masks work on the basis that if most people wear them most of the time then there will be fewer viruses floating about in the air for you to inhale. Surgical masks catch the big particles and droplets as you exhale, they don't do much to stop you imhaling smaller particles floating about, because as you say they don't fit very well to the face. That's the FF bit of the specification. FF = Face Fit. P3 is level of protection, where P3 is better than P2 and much better than P1.

When people were wearing surgical masks the argument hadn't been won that covid (and flu) are airborne. Once that has been accepted the case for surgical masks, as opposed to something better, became redundant. Frankly, you may as well not bother for any length of time because they give an entirely false sense of security.

This from a year ago:

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/coronavirus-the-new-strain-xxii.262006/page-16#post-4538492

When people were wearing surgical masks the argument hadn't been won that covid (and flu) are airborne. Once that has been accepted the case for surgical masks, as opposed to something better, became redundant.
I thought that the consensus was then and is now that Covid is borne by the air but not airborne. Has that now been revised? The debate I remember from 2020 was the degree to which the virus was transmitted by the air as opposed to fomite transmission. I'll confess to not having spent too long studying the latest research on transmission vectors, though I do know that air-mediated transmission is now known to be more important than was believed to be the case in 2020.

Sound perfectly reasonable - a surgical mask isn’t going to filter very much, but as any exhalations while you’re wearing it will hit the mask first, it’ll plausibly stop a lot of droplets/virus/whatever getting out.

Doesn’t sound reasonable to me - a surgical mask isn’t going to filter very much, not least because of all the gaps, so the air flow from the outside will just pass around it.

To protect others, a surgical mask really helps. To protect yourself, something closer fitting that involves more filtration is going to be needed.

I think a range of dogmatic positions were established fairly early on, but what I managed to glean is that it's better than nothing, maybe quite a bit better than nothing. An unintended consequence of some of the more extreme pro-mask discourse is that a lot of people think that surgical masks are pointless for individual protection, and I don't think that's the case.

I’ve posted this a few times before but i guess it’s worth posting yet again as the message that a well fitting FFP3 mask is very effective at reducing your chance of catching covid is still in question by some folk.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8635983/

And finally…….the last word on the subject regarding the recent flawed Cochrane report on mask wearing

https://theconversation.com/yes-mas...ovid-despite-a-review-saying-they-dont-198992

I’ve posted this a few times before but i guess it’s worth posting yet again as the message that a well fitting FFP3 mask is very effective at reducing your chance of catching covid is still in question by some folk.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8635983/

And finally…….the last word on the subject regarding the recent flawed Cochrane report on mask wearing

I'm not sure anyone's questioning the effectiveness of FFP3 masks, for individual protection. The question seems to be whether anything less is worth bothering with, and the conversation seems to have taken an odd but predictable turn there.

I'm not sure anyone's questioning the effectiveness of FFP3 masks, for individual protection. The question seems to be whether anything less is worth bothering with, and the conversation seems to have taken an odd but predictable turn there.
The Bangladesh study, referenced in the Conversation report, describes an 11% reduction in people wearing surgical masks getting infected with Covid under the conditions that they were monitored, i.e. community use in Bangladesh.

If I did not have a well fitting FFP2 mask with ionising layers, I would wear a medical mask and make it fit as well as I could, whilst in buildings or public transport etc. as in theory it will reduce the likelihood of infection and this study demonstrates that it is beneficial.

The Bangladesh study, referenced in the Conversation report, describes an 11% reduction in people wearing surgical masks getting infected with Covid under the conditions that they were monitored, i.e. community use in Bangladesh.

If I did not have a well fitting FFP2 mask with ionising layers, I would wear a medical mask and make it fit as well as I could, whilst in buildings or public transport etc. as in theory it will reduce the likelihood of infection and this study demonstrates that it is beneficial.

For a short amount of time perhaps. However, these new variants today are substantially more infectious than those that were dominant in the past when all of these studies were undertaken.

Yes, difficult to translate conclusions from a study of community transmission into implications for individual protection, but taken together the studies I’m aware of (or was) do seem to suggest surgical masks are better than nothing. That’s good enough for me in my situation, where all I really want to do is reduce the number of viral illnesses I get (and the number of people I pass them on to). I’ve just made it part of my personal hygiene routine, same as washing my hands and not touching my face. I’m aware of course that others have different needs, but I think realistically masks are now an individual matter.

Surgical masks catch aerosol droplets from exhalation, so if everyone wore them there would be much less virus circulating in the air in public spaces, and consequently less infection risk. You’d need less protection from your own mask because those around you were all contributing to mutual protection. That was the logic behind mandatory mask wearing but not mandating FFP2 or above, I think.

I guess now that mask wearing is largely a thing of the past, FFP2 or 3 makes more sense for those choosing to wear one.

Last edited:
Be warned: the next deadly pandemic is not inevitable, but all the elements are in place
George Monbiot

Bird flu is a mass killer, and mink farms are perfect for infection and transmission. They are a grave threat and must be banned

Mink readily harbour human and avian flu viruses. As predators, they can easily acquire avian flu from the meat they eat. The distribution of sialic acid receptors – a key determinant of infection – in their respiratory tracts is similar to that of humans. Human flu strains can pass between them through aerosol transmission.

Mink also possess, to a remarkable degree, what scientists call “zoonotic potential”: in other words, they can be infected by, and infect, many different species. During the first phases of Covid-19, they proved to be highly effective intermediaries, partly because the virus seemingly evolves faster in mink than in humans. They appear to have generated at least two new variants that spread to humans, one in Spain and one in Italy. Mink are the only known species that both received Covid-19 from humans and passed it back to them.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/feb/08/next-pandemic-bird-flu-mink-farms-transmission

advertisement

Back