advertisement

Analogue Man, Retired. (Simon Yorke)

I suspect one of the issues is in this hint: "They admire his creations still, but have no appetite for more". How many people were still buying his beautiful, superb, artisan turntables when the market seems flooded with desirable high-end offerings from Dohmann, Grand Prix, Technics, OMA, TW, Brinkmann, Techdas, Kuzma, Continuum, Clear Audio, Nottingham, Well Tempered, Kodo, STST, Thales, Acoustic Signature, Thorens, Rega, Avid, VPI, SME stop me I've lost count? If you're going to blow twenty grand or more on a turntable (and how few of us are?) there is a vast range of options to choose from. If there is real burgeoning demand you can hire people and grow. Clearly, Yorke made great things with love in his famous workshop, but that artisan business model is hard to sustain beyond the life, enthusiasm or eyesight of the craftsman.

His turntables are beautiful. I heard and saw some in the old Walrus Systems shop in New Quebec Street.

That said, having read the note (which has been up on his website for some time) and watched the, frankly weird, video, I can't help thinking get with the now, grandad.

His extremely limited dedicated 7" 45rpm decks were gorgeous. Utterly frivolous purchase, but wonderful objects.

I always loved the simple modernist styling of Simon Yorke’s turntables. I’ve never seen, heard or worked on one, so I’ve no opinion beyond that, but they certainly look cool. Sad to hear he has hit the age he is unable to continue.

Its a funny and self deprecating monologue, I enjoyed it..fair play to him to bow out in such a way. We can't all keep up with the pace of a changing world, and nor should we be expected to.

I think the only questionable elemt was 'the young females, in particular who now seem incapable of being, without a hand-held gadget to guide them,' when in reality, it's probably more accurate to state 'young people'... who need their oled screened saviours.
I thought the heavy bit is where he says - their music is crap - o_O However I'm not totally taken aback by this. Just speaking out at how he sees the younger generation these days.

From what I gather from his monologue is that he very much enjoyed what he did & is going to miss it very much. Not your normal 9-5.

I think for various reasons Simon's had a less than positive view of the world for a good while now. I met him a few years back at the last of the Munich shows he had some product exhibited, (not the main show but an alternative venue on at the same time?). He was witty and acerbic, and the record player he demoed sounded great, much better than 95% of the kit I heard at the main show.

I'm not sure why his turntables haven't been more successful commercially over the years, simple and beautiful works of art, exactingly engineered for a lifetime of operation, a contrast to the over-priced, over rated bling which seems to be accepted nowadays.

Anyway, I hope he has a great retirement in his adopted country.

Wonder how much they cost if he only makes 5 per year.

Interesting quote from his website:

“It must be understood that the listener’s state of mind is as important to the experience of hearing as is the sound being heard. It is not possible to have one without the other. The madness of audiophilia is its refusal to accept the subjectivity of emotion. It ignores the human.”

Not surprised he is retiring with attitudes expressed in that diatribe.
I don’t know about works of art either. The one in the picture heading the article looks like an A level metalwork project.

Perhaps some of you should try to be a bit more charitable, looking at that post and video I would imagine he could possibly be described as 'on the spectrum' as my sight, hearing and physical abilities slowly wain I could well imagine becoming insular, bitter and angry. I am very fortunate to have Mrs Ian at home who keeps me in the present and to feel happy and content with my life. Maybe Simon doesn't have this loving support in his life and everybody can have a shit day, week or even a year.

As long as people continue to enjoy music the medium is irrelevant.

I think that is the problem. Many who know music and how it is supposed to sound and played in venues like the Wigmore Hall or Kings Place with a good acoustic etc cannot relate to the sound made by modern Hi-Fi. They are looking for something better that sounds natural that they can relate too, and a lot are prepared to pay to get it.

I thought it was a graceful bow-out from a first rank craftsman. Enjoy your retirement Mr Yorke.

Old man thinking…..:)

As much as I generally agree with pretty much everything he's saying (minus the sexism), I agree with what you say here. Times are always changing and we need to find new ways to instill meaning and beauty into our times. This is not done by bitter accusations and lamentations about good old days or trying to revert time. Frankly, I find that sentiment deeply unattractive, even repulsive when it's tied to accusations and finger-pointing.

However, I read this as a personal note of a man who's done some great stuff and is now trying to come to grips with time, old age and not being as physically able as before and in that regard, yeah, I empathize and wish Simon all the best. It's a journey we all are on, but at different stages.

I also read that when he moved to Spain he started making his decks with his son......don't know why the son isn't carrying on with them.

advertisement

Back