advertisement

when did it become acceptable to bring your dog into a shop

And orangutans in libraries. Not monkeys. No, definitely not monkeys.

Yeah, but they usually bring their dog with them.

article-2006531-0C468F3A00000578-328_634x428.jpg

https://www.dfordog.co.uk/blog/suryia-roscoe-orangutan-dog.html

There's a huge market for dog owners so that's the driver, Keswick for example is absolutely full of dogs and their owners and there's very few places there where you can't take them, Booths/supermarkets is the only places that I know of where you can't take them into.
Keswick's my second home, & it's heaving with dogs. Apart from the occasional noisy barking specimen, I've never seen them cause problems. Keswick received the most nominations from the public in the Kennel Club’s Open for Dogs Awards and took the lead to be crowned top dog in the Dog-Friendly Town category.

To answer the original question, I think it was post lockdown when dog ownership had increased substantially and more people wanted to bring their dogs (that had got used to owners being at home) out with them. Also, dog theft had risen so they were also less comfortable than before tying them up outside shops. Lastly, shop owners who suffered with extended closures wanted to do everything they could to get people spending money in their shops again.

how about a pet rat in supermarkets?
I don’t know if it was a pet one, but a rat strolled into the main entrance of Waitrose the other day. Got bored with the takings in the car park obvs. Caused mild consternation.

You should be able to leave a dog at home for a few hours if it is trained well. I just don't understand why so many people treat their dogs like needy children. Even worse are those who carry their dogs everywhere.
Agreed.

Ignore them when leaving and coming back. If they have done anything bad don’t admonish them straight away. It’s easy but just needs to be consistent.

Agreed.

Ignore them when leaving and coming back. If they have done anything bad don’t admonish them straight away. It’s easy but just needs to be consistent.

That is not quite right. Yes, if you are not present at the time of the sin, you really cannot punish a dog for the sin committed. It is actually water under the bridge and can never be redeemed.

Ignore them on leaving does not work if you live in a flat, a terrace or a semi. The neighbours will soon dislike you. Lu has a two octave lower than her bark roar if I try to leave her in my flat. It is literally a dog version of a fog horn and actually rather scary. No neighbour should be subjected to that, and no dog dog should be asked to produce it. Rescue dogs are lovely, but have a few idiosyncrasies that no amount of Barbara Woodhouse bluntness will cure. BobMcC has pointed out that after ten years his rescue still sufferers separation anxiety, and my vet said that Lu is so imprinted on me that I should never attempt to leave her against her panic.

This is an important point. I have had the care of five dogs in my life and all were completely without separation anxiety, because they were brought up from pups, or in one case from a brilliant family home where the last member went into a nursing home. He soon adopted me in our family ...

Some rescues may not suffer separation anxiety, and that is good, but for some dogs is it is the sad trait that cannot be rubbed out after they find their good human. These become good in every other respect apart from separation.

But it would not be better to put them down.

Just two pennies' worth from George

My first rescue dog, Spot:

IMG_8606 by George Johnson, on Flickr ... c. 1977

My current rescue, Lu:

IMG_1301 by George Johnson, on Flickr ... c.2022

My first terrier, Josephine [called JCB because she would rip up carpets for fun] in 1965, here with one of her pups on the front door step:

IMG_8624 by George Johnson, on Flickr

And here is Fred, the Welsh Collie. A few weeks after he learned to work sheep:

IMG_8628 by George Johnson, on Flickr ... c.1985

My Second dog was a black and white Jack Russell called Midge, who sadly died aged two in 1970, and I was never told. Probably for the best. I only pieced the history together in the last few weeks when my younger brother told me the truth. Was very sad to know that she had died, rather than given away. ...

I love dogs as possibly you may detect ...They know it.

Last edited:
Glasgow is a city...
City people have no connection with anything as natural as a dog, and should never be allowed to own any pet, even a lizard or budgie, unless they are sent to work on a farm in Devon for a month with no mobile phone, or TV.

Agreed.

My Jack Russell used to get very annoyed and chew things when I went out, I've started giving her a treat as I leave and she's stopped (although she's a bit older too). It has to be a chewy one like tripe as a smacko will last about 2 seconds then she's up on the back of the sofa watching me walk up the road.

She now seems to quite like me going out rather than expecting to come with me and them run all around barking.

advertisement

Back