advertisement

New TT.... maybe last one.

For that sort of money you should be able to source a used one of these, which would be an end game turntable for any system:

raven_ac_01.jpg

I've had my Technics 1200G since Jan 2017 - nearly 6 years which is an absolute record for me keeping any one component. So it must have made me happy.

I just fancy a change maybe.... maybe up to around £6k for deck and arm. I quite like the idea of a 12" arm, I've had a few before on other tables. Any suggestions? fairly broad range of music including classical and solo piano so speed stability is an absolute must.

Or alternatively - maybe I should just change something on the techie - a different arm: maybe a PU7 or a SupaTrac? Has anyone put a Rega RB3000 on a techie 1200G? Would like to know if that was worthwhile.

Keep it! Spend on mebbe a new arm, refurb and a full service. Ah have a Monarch M2.1 with a 12" arm , the arm makes a noticeable difference. The Technics platter and DD base makes a huge difference. Ignore all the pysh, especially any Linn shyt. Thoroughly enjoy what ye have - especially if it gives ye pleasure. :cool:

For that sort of money you should be able to source a used one of these, which would be an end game turntable for any system:

Furthermore, you wouldn't need to even play it. Just relax and ogle. On aesthetics alone, I think this plinth cannot be bettered for striking simplicity and elegance. A masterpiece in curves and chrome?

Alan, there is a full spec. N.A. Dais with lots of (12"+? 10"?) boards, impeccable history and ownership, currently on the Wam. Also arms (12" +) and maybe cart's to choose from, too. Subjective, I know, but at a very good price, too.

Getting there.... still waiting for the plinth so here's a lashup with the 12" arm (groovemaster II courtesy of @Ammonite Audio) ..... not ideal as the vice holding the arm is not going to be under same compliance or in exact same plane as the turntable itself. But one day my plinth will come...

52670369282_1d04e12ebc_c.jpg

52670872241_9139820ecf_c.jpg

Absolutely no arm doing that for a while ....

Alan, there is a full spec. N.A. Dais with lots of (12"+? 10"?) boards, impeccable history and ownership, currently on the Wam. Also arms (12" +) and maybe cart's to choose from, too. Subjective, I know, but at a very good price, too.

I’ve heard that particular turntable it’s outstanding.

U
Just wondering did you ever have a standard SL1200 or 1200GR, and is the 1200g an upgrade at all? I have a GR, and I really don't think it's any better sound wise than the old 1200s, I think it's just a fabulous TT usability wise.

Yes I had 1210 Mk5 for a while, even changed the arm for a Michell Technoarm. Quite good. I also had an SP10 mk2 with a homemade plinth and a 12" Clearaudio unipivot arm. Better.
But the 1200G is much better again, even with its regular arm.

Not sure if they take a cheaper arm to get you up and running, but I think one of the only belt drive TTs that look as well made as the Technics is the Kuzma Stabi R. Hard to find 2nd hand, but they do come up: Kuzma Stabi R- 1 Wing (4Point9 mount) - Choice Hifi

The 4 point arm is nearly as much as the deck, but if interested speak to Definitive Audio who are the UK distributors. They might be able to recommend a cheaper option.

Ok.... its done...

52718073770_c64413d82f_c.jpg

So the Plinth idea didn't fly.... currently that's only going to work with the 1210 mk2/mk5 models. So instead, Lee at Acoustand has made me a very nice, extremely heavy standalone tonearm pod with adjustable spikes to get it perfectly level with the platter.

The whole thing sounds superb.... can't believe how good that SPU G sounds on the Groovemaster arm, easy best arm/cart combo I've had here. Many thanks to Hugo at Ammonite and Lee at Acoustand again. :)

52717909319_ccef5b536f_c.jpg

Holy cow, looks the business.
I'd just forget everything about replacing the G arm, this is what I'd do to get my DL103 in use while I keep deck original.
Thanks !

Just so I'm clear on this, the added tonearm "pod" has no mechanical relationship with the rest of the deck (notably the bearing) whatsoever?

No, other than sitting on the same surface.

Shouldn't there be as rigid as possible a connection between tonearm/(sub)chassis/bearing/platter? If I'm not misunderstanding something, most of TT designs follow this principle. I've also listened to interviews with quite a few designers who said this...I remember one interview with Kuzma who said that and explained why that's important, but I know I've read that statement from others as well but circumstances escape my memory ATM. This connection is also part of the reason new Rega TTs are better than their previous incarnations and higher end models have ever more rigid unity of these parts because of materials used. When I look at construction of John Michell's decks, there's also always very rigid connection between these parts...Jonathan Nye also said something about this in an interview I saw a while ago.

So...going by the thread title.....is your old turntable your new turntable and is it the last one you'll have ?

( mine is )

So...going by the thread title.....is your old turntable your new turntable and is it the last one you'll have ?

( mine is )

Could be!
But Never say never.... I'm not sure I'll ever use the 1200G tonearm again very much unless I put the Ortofon 2M red on it just for 1970s heavy rock which it seems to love. .... And now I have that tonearm pod, then maybe an SP-10 in its own plinth becomes an option..... ;)

Shouldn't there be as rigid as possible a connection between tonearm/(sub)chassis/bearing/platter? If I'm not misunderstanding something, most of TT designs follow this principle. I've also listened to interviews with quite a few designers who said this...I remember one interview with Kuzma who said that and explained why that's important, but I know I've read that statement from others as well but circumstances escape my memory ATM. This connection is also part of the reason new Rega TTs are better than their previous incarnations and higher end models have ever more rigid unity of these parts because of materials used. When I look at construction of John Michell's decks, there's also always very rigid connection between these parts...Jonathan Nye also said something about this in an interview I saw a while ago.

Well I don't think all designers agree.... Michell supply a kit for their decks to isolate the tonearm from the bearing, and there are several cartridge isolator products too.

Again, if I'm not mistaken, that isolation of armplate is achieved by combining materials differently, but I'm not sure that rigidity is compromised there because this isolation isn't done by some kind of either horizontally or vertically moving soft rubber or something like that...it's more like sandwiching of different materials. Also something that Kuzma does with his platters on most models and plinths on reference model for example...but that doesn't compromise rigidity.

advertisement

Back