advertisement

Shrinking grocery items

My wife is a great soup fan. I do the shopping and just mix the generic with the branded stuff. No response. If anything just a slight bias towards Tescos own brands.
xrolnAM.png

Perhaps we will start thinking of food as not something we are entitled to. The petrol tanker strikes got the country on its knees in three days. Starving is slower.

Re eggs, I understand it’s bird flu and farmers bailing since they don’t make any money.

Don’t mention the Terry’s chocolate orange..

and they can be £1 in one shop, £2.99 in another… I don’t understand how the general public attend to being taken for such a ride.
I think there’s a £1 one a few miles down the road. I’m driving to get it now.

An odd one: match heads are definitely smaller. Often such a mean amount of striking material that if it doesn’t catch first go, there’s not enough for a second.

Shrinkflation. Just so much of it in failing Tory Brexitland. For a while it was to keep familiar prices, but now that slight of hand has gone and we are paying x% more for very obviously less actual product. That is when there is even product to buy. As an example it is getting far harder to buy eggs of late for some reason and the local Asda had a ‘maximum x2’ sign up on an already empty shelf when I was in last. I guess this is just what a collapsing economy feels like.

PS Someone will be along to tell us it’s “sovereignty” any minute now.
I didn’t think it would be restricted to here or that it’s a Tory thing per se. Once Captain Hindsight gets in I can’t imagine it will reverse.

https://www.npr.org/2022/06/08/1103766334/shrinkflation-globally-manufacturers-shrink-package-sizes

Re eggs millions of chickens were culled. It will be a year till things get back to normal. I’ve stopped eating them since they are not free rang now.

Shrinkflation. Just so much of it in failing Tory Brexitland.
No. We have it here too, most of the world has it, inflation is just there. And it's doesn't take a degree to understand why inflation has finally come back, I'd even say 'at last'. It's not all Brexit's fault (= the Tories' fault), although in many cases it made things even worse.

Mind you, shrinkflation isn't always a bad thing. Decades ago, when I got an interest in cooking, the recommended average quantity of meat served per menu was 150 grams. Garyi will know more about it, but I am pretty sure this quantity has gone up since, and by a margin - I'd say 200 grams are expected nowdays by the average male eater. And why not twice a day. I like meat, but IMO this is too much.

It is not about starving, it is about getting conscious again of the amounts we have become used to shovel down.

Last edited:
The only items mentioned so far that I buy are eggs.
We make our own soups.

So do we but you cannot beat Heinz tomato soup. In my opinion of course!

Also make my own bread, sour dough etc.

Waitrose baked beans are hugely better than Heinz. It’s just interesting to track prices and shrinkage.

FWIW I chose Heinz soup as it is an established measure of currency. Everyone knows what it is and has some idea of its value. It is not worth £1.70.

PS Branston beans are the best. I’ll take them over Heinz every time. Heinz tomato soup is its own thing, arguably little to do with tomatoes or soup, but it is a reasonably palatable red liquid if you throw enough Worcestershire Sauce at it.

Waitrose baked beans are hugely better than Heinz. It’s just interesting to track prices and shrinkage.

Agree and on offer at £1.70 for 4.

I love baked beans and my go to have been Branson, but when the Waitrose ones were on offer at £1.50 for 4, a while ago, I thought, why not?

I won't go to another brand now.

@Tony L worth trying ;)

Shrinkflation is just another example of what is so wrong with this country. I have know idea how such a practice can even be legal. Some items have shrunk so much it's beyond ludicrous. Have you noticed just how thin certain brands of chocolate bars have now got. I trouble is, us Brits just don't shout loud enough or make a big enough noise about such things, we seem to just 'carry on regardless' and just moan - a bit like i'm doing now! :confused:

One thing I have noticed, is just how quiet the more expensive supermarkets have got. I go into our local Sainsbury's regularly for a few items I like and can't get at Lidl etc. and it is noticeable how much quieter in there it is. I am not surprised to be honest, given the cost of some items now...

advertisement

Back