advertisement

when did it become acceptable to bring your dog into a shop

stuwils

pfm Member
With the exception of assistance dogs when did this become acceptable? 2 of them barking at each other in a high street store yesterday.
Just leave them at home.

Rgds
Stuart

Well, in Sicily you can take your dog to church. In this case confession. The Jack Russel sought absolution for two episodes of being unkind to cats.

CBVjRhH.jpg

With the exception of assistance dogs when did this become acceptable? 2 of them barking at each other in a high street store yesterday.
Just leave them at home.

Rgds
Stuart

There's a huge market for dog owners so that's the driver, Keswick for example is absolutely full of dogs and their owners and there's very few places there where you can't take them, Booths/supermarkets is the only places that I know of where you can't take them into.

Some people can't leave their dogs at home, I agree though, some dogs owners are @rseholes but it's not the dogs who are the problem.

My little Patterdale Terrier has been in all sorts of shops. At the start, when I first got her last July, she had terrible separation anxiety [it took her all of half an hour to imprint on me, the first day], and even hated staying in the car while I popped into a shop. I have permission to take her into the barbers, but also got permission to bring her into the opticians, the building society, the Mac-shop in Hereford, and so on. She always behaved with lady-like manners. Good as gold.

Her most recent odd situation was at my oldest cousin's funeral last Wednesday, and though not in the crematorium, she came to the wake in a dog friendly pub. She did the meet and greet of the hundred or so people there in a most charming way. I think she lifted the atmosphere rather successfully. My cousin Pat encouraged me to bring the little dog and let her be free. Pat is my cousin and sister to old Pete. Recently widowed she asked me to be her companion at the sad events.

IMG_1346 by George Johnson, on Flickr

The problem is not the dogs; it's their owners, if they are bad mannered.

Best wishes from George

PS: Nowadays, Lu is totally content to stay in the car while I am in a shop, as she regards the vehicle as her chariot of adventure, so, its is unlikely she will go in a shop again, though she is grand in a dog friendly public house!

PS: Nowadays, Lu is totally content to stay in the car while I am in a shop, as she regard the vehicle as her chariot of adventure, So, its is unlikely she will go in a shop again, though she is grand in a dog friendly public house!

Please don't leave your dog in the car.

It is fine unless it is too hot. She loves it. The passenger seat [with compliant seat-belt] is her throne! She just goes to sleep as she did on the 150 mile journey to and from Gainsborough from Herefordshire. I really don't know where she gets her manners from, but it seems innate in a happy little dog.

Best wishes from George

To be fair, it was too hot for periods last summer, and under those conditions she just came with me. I would never do anything that hurt my little friend. Fortunately almost all shops in Bromyard are dog friendly! It is that sort of place. Even the Co-op has a place where you can attach the lead, but the dog can see you through the large windows!

In fact I am requested to bring her into the iron-mongers, because she likes the owner's little terrier sort mongrel!

One compliment I was glad to receive was from the vet, who Lu has seen a few times, firstly for a dog MOT, and subsequently for collecting flea and worming treatments. The young lady vet congratulated me on her condition and temperament. Initially she was emaciated, but rapidly became standard weight for type and size, and has stayed there, with a lovely soft coat and properly damp nose and bright eyes. She said that whatever I was doing was just so and carry on. The reason for not having a dog since 1997 is that I was working too many hours and could not give the time a dog needs to thrive. A good dog requires a lot of love and careful guidance as to the absolutely not on behaviour. I have the time now, and she comes to work with me gardening and general handyman, every day. I only take work from dog friendly people!

Best wishes from George

My dogs don't get taken into shops often but we do it occasionally as I won't leave them outside the shop. If they were barking or otherwise misbehaving then I would take them out of the shop.

I take three children under 8 to school everyday, and it’s the dogs taken on the school run that annoy me.. my little 3yo is really scared of dogs, as has been knocked over, twice by unruly dogs running at her in parks

The dogs at the school gates are left to their own devices as their owners are nattering away, totally obvliviois to their dogs behaviour on the other end of the lead, blocking the path so the other kids can’t get past.

You should be able to leave a dog at home for a few hours if it is trained well. I just don't understand why so many people treat their dogs like needy children. Even worse are those who carry their dogs everywhere.

I take three children under 8 to school everyday, and it’s the dogs taken on the school run that annoy me.. my little 3yo is really scared of dogs, as has been knocked over, twice by unruly dogs running at her in parks

The dogs at the school gates are left to their own devices as their owners are nattering away, totally obvliviois to their dogs behaviour on the other end of the lead, blocking the path so the other kids can’t get past.

As I said above it's the owners who are the problem not the dogs, my dog absolutely loves toddlers but there's no way that he's allowed to approach them unless the child's parent/grandparent etc say's it's okay plus he's always on the leash when we come across young children or I've got him by the collar, personally that behaviour you have described above is outrageous not everyone likes dogs or children for that matter.

I live opposite a children's swing park so we meet children almost every day but they're in a fenced off area which the dogs don't have access to unless a parent leaves the gate open which happens regularly.

I reckon the world would be better if dog haters stayed at home instead

Why? Do we all have to like dogs? Personally I'm fed up with dog shit all over the place and the strong smell of piss on every street corner last summer. Personally I think there's too many these days, around here anyway. Maybe a dog tax to help pay for the regular clean up operation that's required.

I think it depends where you live. My lab goes everywhere with me, but if I lived in a City I wouldn’t have a dog. I don’t like shops particularly so don’t go in many, but she’s very welcome everywhere here. Shops who don’t allow dogs wouldn’t be open for very long. However, whenever I walk past the pub, she literally drags me in. The wife says I’ve trained her well but need to work on her not giving the game up when I’m with other people!

Unfortunately there are bad owners who don’t pick up or train their dog properly. As is often the case, a few bugger things up for everyone.

advertisement

Back