advertisement

Roofers (how do you find a good one?)

Puzzled
Temporary fix which has stopped the water coming in
He's coming back to strip the roof and replace the felt

What would you have done ?
Not a temporary fix as it’s stopping leaking…
Previous cowboy stuck a tile back up with silicone, seen that more times than you can imagine.
Felt isn’t there to stop a roof leaking.
Used to get so many calls from people saying they can see daylight and panicking.
My reply was is it leaking? If not leave alone

Not a temporary fix as it’s stopping leaking…
Previous cowboy stuck a tile back up with silicone, seen that more times than you can imagine.
Felt isn’t there to stop a roof leaking.
Used to get so many calls from people saying they can see daylight and panicking.
My reply was is it leaking? If not leave alone
Leak fixed
Either the felt or maybe the flashing around the chimney is faulty
This is also around the join between the old and new felt so may not be overlapped

Felt has a limited lifespan, 10-15 years. Although you’ll see many much older, in reality they won’t be in good shape.
If you can afford lead it’ll out see you but you’ll need a decent leadworker.
The new rubber/fibreglass do look good I must say. Not sure on the guarantees etc though
Bear in mind also that if the roof is accessible and you are in a less than marvellous area then you might get lead nicked. This happened to a mate of mine, the insurance repair post theft was to replace it with fibreglass.

you’ll need a decent leadworker.

One of the reasons I stick with the roofing firm referred to above was their insistence on using rolled lead for the valley and the drip gutter on the one side (rather then galvanised sheet as has been used elsewhere for a repair.....)

Regards

Richard

Leak fixed
Either the felt or maybe the flashing around the chimney is faulty
This is also around the join between the old and new felt so may not be overlapped
Chimneys tend to be exposed obviously so get a battering. Pointing on the lead and generally can be knackered. Flaunching may need re doing.

Felt has a limited lifespan, 10-15 years. Although you’ll see many much older, in reality they won’t be in good shape.
If you can afford lead it’ll out see you but you’ll need a decent leadworker.
The new rubber/fibreglass do look good I must say. Not sure on the guarantees etc though

Still getting quotes, but all for different materials. Some say fibreglass needs very specific heat conditions to fit, so not appropriate now. Then the one who seems very well established and decent (Argie Roofers) has suggested felt. Another says rubber best, another fibreglass! Confusing...

Still getting quotes, but all for different materials. Some say fibreglass needs very specific heat conditions to fit, so not appropriate now. Then the one who seems very well established and decent (Argie Roofers) has suggested felt. Another says rubber best, another fibreglass! Confusing...
Have you a picture?
Probably suggesting what they prefer to do I’d imagine.

I've PMd you with the contact details of a guy who's done some roofing work at my home, including putting the roof on my extension. My builder uses him, and if he trusts him, I do.

Lead is best. It lasts 100 + years but is costly to buy and use. You need a plumber whose lead skilled and a general builder / carpenter to strip back and replace any rotten timber. They'll need scaffolding for a week. That's going to cost £2000 + but 100 years is 100 years.
Forget about roofing felt, It's not right for that job IMO.
Butyl rubber would do it ok and cost less but it's still going to need scaffolding. 25 year warrnty is normal (the material, not the job).
I'd use fiberglass. It's light, comes in various coloured finishes to suit your property, and is relatively cheap. It's still needs a carpenter so 2 men but once set it's good for 30 years + in a low wear area, probably more.
It doesn't like the cold however. You really need 15c or more for it to be happy, and dry for 24 hours. It can be added to, to set faster, but that makes a weaker surface..
Fiberglass in a dry week late Spring would be my choice.

Thanks for these thoughts. Unfortunately it's an urgent job so can't wait for fibreglass in spring. One roofer has just quoted for using felt and lead. I think with felt they use a kind that is burned on somehow.

Have you a picture?
Probably suggesting what they prefer to do I’d imagine.

script>

Yes, these are the dormers...

49F888E0-2CA5-4807-BE1A-18CF11E256FA by eastmoran, on Flickr

Thanks for these thoughts. Unfortunately it's an urgent job so can't wait for fibreglass in spring. One roofer has just quoted for using felt and lead. I think with felt they use a kind that is burned on somehow.
Torch on felt, all felt flat roofs would be

advertisement

Back