advertisement

Dawn delights

Del monaco

Del Monaco
Up at 5 this morning.
My trusty A&R tuner playing Radio 3. Never fails to engage me. I listen to it more than any other piece of equipment I have. I suppose it’s like vinyl.Despite the much debated flaws it just does something special. Can’t quite put my finger on it though.

I had a similar listening session last night, everything seemed to click, most enjoyable.
(I hope it wasn’t the Malbec :)).

Up at 5 this morning.
My trusty A&R tuner playing Radio 3. Never fails to engage me. I listen to it more than any other piece of equipment I have. I suppose it’s like vinyl.Despite the much debated flaws it just does something special. Can’t quite put my finger on it though.

If it's an original A&R T21 you're tuning-in with, I'm with you.

I owned one - together with the matching black-case A&R A60 - as my first ever brand-new audio system. [Wish I'd kept it!]

That said, I imagine it is RADIO 3 as the source, that is making the real magic! ;)

Yeah, there is something truly divine about the right CLASSICAL MUSIC first thing in the morning. Again, I'm with you.

If it's an original A&R T21 your tuning-in with, I'm with you.

I owned one - together with the matching black-case A&R A60 - as my first ever brand-new audio system. [Wish I'd kept it!]

That said, I imagine it is RADIO 3 as the source, that is making the real magic! ;)

Yeah, there is something truly divine about the right CLASSICAL MUSIC first thing in the morning. Again, I'm with you.
It is indeed the T21. Beguiling beautifully balanced sounds with no sibilance, unlike many more much more expensive tuners I’ve had or listened to.

I think it’s the simple pleasure of listening to radio & not knowing what’s on next. I get a similar buzz when listening to Radio Paradise.

Last edited:
I thinks it’s the simple pleasure of listening to radio & not knowing what’s on next. I get a similar buzz when listening to Radio Paradise.
I listened to Paradise afterwards, then some vinyl. Nice morning and it all sounded wonderful to me.

Must get my Sansui tuner hooked up soon....
I emptied my van out before its MOT, cleaned the girlfriend's car as she's selling it and then toddled round to the charity shop to pick up 8 CDs for £2. Someone had loved Bob Dylon and now I'm benefitting from their good taste.

Just something very pleasant about a quiet early morning, beautiful classical music and the allure of the day ahead.
Completely agree. Baroque (esp. Bach), piano or choral often makes good morning music, whereas more dramatic pieces possibly better later in the day?

I like some Grieg, Barber and Copland in the morning though.
Yes Grieg and Copland, can imagine that. Not sure about Barber - I only really know the adagio and violin conc., and the former might be a bit heavy first thing, and the latter a bit stormy in places. Then again, Mendelssohn's Hebrides overture is also quite stormy in places and I wouldn't mind hearing that. Perhaps familiarity or predictability is the thing - not wanting to be buffeted or challenged too much too early. Or maybe I should stop searching for neat generalities...

Yes Grieg and Copland, can imagine that. Not sure about Barber - I only really know the adagio and violin conc., and the former might be a bit heavy first thing, and the latter a bit stormy in places. Then again, Mendelssohn's Hebrides overture is also quite stormy in places and I wouldn't mind hearing that. Perhaps familiarity or predictability is the thing - not wanting to be buffeted or challenged too much too early. Or maybe I should stop searching for neat generalities...
It’s an interesting aspect of music. I do tend to prefer small scale music during the morning,mostly single instrument. But I find I listen to string quartets of trios mostly late afternoon, especially late Beethoven etc. Songs usually appear early evening. Symphonies a bit later in the evening.

Del looking forward to the enchanting Sarah Walker at 9 a.m on Radio 3.

My T21 is still giving fine service.Wow ! theirs a real rightness about the sound the only tuner I would like is the Naim NAT01 - 101 but cost and service...The T21 is a real peach and in my opinion pretty close to the Naim 101

Glad yours is still bringing much joy :)...Mags @ a T21 a match made in Audio Heaven.

Another thumbs up for the T21 - I had one for several years, before ‘upgrading’ to the Naim Nat02 and then Nat01.

In hindsight, the move to the Nat tuners was more of a sideways move - and both were troublesome by drifting off tune after several hours use, despite being serviced by Naim.

Del looking forward to the enchanting Sarah Walker at 9 a.m on Radio 3.

My T21 is still giving fine service.Wow ! theirs a real rightness about the sound the only tuner I would like is the Naim NAT01 - 101 but cost and service...The T21 is a real peach and in my opinion pretty close to the Naim 101

Glad yours is still bringing much joy :)...Mags @ a T21 a match made in Audio Heaven.
I also have a spare Creek T40 which is also lovely. More detailed but less warm I think. I can bathe in the sound of the A&R.

advertisement

Back