advertisement

Roofers (how do you find a good one?)

Elephantears

Trunkated Aesthete
I've had a really hard time finding a reliable roofer (for a Victorian house in Leeds). It seems to be a particularly tricky trade in which to find someone you trust. Before casting aspersions on a whole profession, I should admit I've had bad luck: one incompetent guy followed by another who did a runner when it was obvious the leaks were continuing. I've probably not been looking in the right places. So that's my question? Where to look?

From what I understand 'check a trade' is open to manipulation, since members can delete bad reviews. I don't think that's possible on Google, but of course you can get your mates to put up good reviews. So how do you find someone you can trust?

I recently found a good roofer (and a very nice chap) through the “Which?” Trusted Tradesmen scheme. Not sure if you can access this without being a member, but tradesmen can advertise that they're on the list.

I've had a really hard time finding a reliable roofer (for a Victorian house in Leeds). It seems to be a particularly tricky trade in which to find someone you trust. Before casting aspersions on a whole profession, I should admit I've had bad luck: one incompetent guy followed by another who did a runner when it was obvious the leaks were continuing. I've probably not been looking in the right places. So that's my question? Where to look?

From what I understand 'check a trade' is open to manipulation, since members can delete bad reviews. I don't think that's possible on Google, but of course you can get your mates to put up good reviews. So how do you find someone you can trust?

Just a repair or a big job? I can recommed someone I've just used if it's a repair job rather that a re-roof

Just a repair or a big job? I can recommed someone I've just used if it's a repair job rather that a re-roof

Repairs around a dormer window that needs resealing in either felt, rubber or fibreglass. I'm told felt is not a good option; had a few quotes for felt and rubber. One quote has described the job like this...

'To strip and remove old worn/ leaking felt once stripped we will then take up and remove the rottern/wet plywood.

Once everything is removed we will then supply and fit 18mm smartply OSB boards.

Once OSB boards are fitted we will then supply and use bitumen underlay bondage system to protect from any leaks.

Once the underlay is installed we will then supply and lay SBS burn on Torch felt as the finishing surface to be completely water tight.

To lift up row of tiles at the back of the flat roof so the felt goes underneath the tiles so no possible leaking will happen.

Scaffolding will be needed.'

I’ve been looking for a decent roofer in Leeds for years with no luck.

i am amazed if traders can delete poor reviews on checkatrade . known a few people on there

I often follow people on FB and see some of the thoughts of people . although there is a chap here who folks rave about for years but i couldnt get hold of him !!

sometimes you can go into builders merchants and ask for recommendations

that quote sounds good to me

scaffolding will add to the cost and OSB etc all gone up in price . we are getting a small built in wardrobe with MDF sprayed and mirror doors and not much change from 3k

So how do you find someone you can trust?

You go into an estate agent which does lettings, explain your problem and ask if they can put you on to anyone who they trust. If they refuse try another.
You ask your neighbours, maybe via a neighbourhood app.

Ask around. Friends, friends of friends, work colleagues etc. Someone in your expanded network of people will know a decent roofer and you will get a recommendation. It's worth its weight in gold.

We've last year done £47k house refurb with multiple trades using in this method. All went perfectly.

Still get three quotes, but don't let on they are you're preferred company. Then if the price is reasonable trust your referrer and appoint the used-by-your-friend/proven contractor.

Good luck!

You go into an estate agent which does lettings, explain your problem and ask if they can put you on to anyone who they trust. If they refuse try another.
You ask your neighbours, maybe via a neighbourhood app.

This is a house we let and for a while (during the pandemic and after) we had it with an agent, who completely failed to find a roofer. They were totally clueless.

I do take the point that word of mouth is the best bet. I have one tip on that front, but only for a modest job.

I live in LS16 and could recommend 'Watertight Roofing' (father & son business - Stuart is the guy to speak to). They have also undertaken quite a bit of work for our neighbours, hence why we chose them. However, I do not believe they are not all that keen on repairs compared with full roofing jobs.

I nearly went with 'Leeds Roofing' based in Guisley/Yeadon way, with whom I was quite impressed with, but please do not confuse them with a company with a similar name who are apparently awful. I would also avoid a particular company in Otley that we used for an emergency and they effectively made the issue worse.

FYI - I asked for quotes from something like 12 companies - told them to visit the house and inspect the roof when they could, as I didn't actually need to be at home for them to see the issues that we had. I think 5 turned up - one was very thorough but quoted twice the amount, and one simply never bothered to provide a quote. Yes, it is a minefield in this area - we have friends in Lancashire who have had excellent work completed for about 30-50% of what we paid!

BTW - the price difference between a repair and a new roof was not that different, so chose the new roof, not least for peace-of-mind for the next decade or so.

We have had a few roof problems.

One was above our bedroom and leaked through to the ceiling a few years back
We had some gutter guys fix that as well as gutter problems. Not cheap and not great

Problem came back
Searched on Checkatrade
Contacted about 12. (All figures approximate)
About 4 said no for various reasons
2 said send details then didn't reply
2 or 3 said they would get in touch - didn't
5 or 6 turned up and all gave varying reasons for the problem 2 or 3 gave widely varying prices
After waiting for a couple of weeks for the prices that never came I was moaning to our car mechanic Pete

He said he had done roofing with his cousins and did his own roof on his house
Knowing him as honest and reliable I asked him to look
Different problem to what everyone else said
He found silicone sealer on a roof tile used by the original 'fixers' who had sorted it for a year or two

Pete replaced a tile or two and is coming back, this year please Pete, to strip off the tiles off the roof as he is 99% sure the felt is gone
Also happens to be the join between the old and new parts of the house, and the chimney

Management summary
Good roofers are hard to find.
Ask your car mechanic :)

Mate, every roofer I've spoken to donot want to deal with little jobs...it's the full wipe clean and renew scenario, costing you £20K +
Had a repair done a week ago, adjusted a couple of slates, put some cement with PVA (I was impressed) in a few seams and did some minor zinc work. £400 for 2 hours work!!! Ok, he climbed 3 floors high on a ladder, instead of using scaffolding, which would have been £200 for the day hire...but, c'mon....?
I'm in the wrong game.

We have had a few roof problems.

One was above our bedroom and leaked through to the ceiling a few years back
We had some gutter guys fix that as well as gutter problems. Not cheap and not great

Problem came back
Searched on Checkatrade
Contacted about 12. (All figures approximate)
About 4 said no for various reasons
2 said send details then didn't reply
2 or 3 said they would get in touch - didn't
5 or 6 turned up and all gave varying reasons for the problem 2 or 3 gave widely varying prices
After waiting for a couple of weeks for the prices that never came I was moaning to our car mechanic Pete

He said he had done roofing with his cousins and did his own roof on his house
Knowing him as honest and reliable I asked him to look
Different problem to what everyone else said
He found silicone sealer on a roof tile used by the original 'fixers' who had sorted it for a year or two

Pete replaced a tile or two and is coming back, this year please Pete, to strip off the tiles off the roof as he is 99% sure the felt is gone
Also happens to be the join between the old and new parts of the house, and the chimney

Management summary
Good roofers are hard to find.
Ask your car mechanic :)
I was a roofer for 28 years. The felt has gone so the roof is leaking?
If so, sack your mechanic..
That’s horrendous advice.

The felt has gone so the roof is leaking

That's a roofer you don't want anywhere near your roof as Barry says.

Fortunately I have access to a very good roofer, they did our Scotch slated house roof (one side only) back in 2002/ 3 and some steading repairs since. We still have two sides to do on the house (1859 build). I know it will entail a complete strip back, new sarking, felt and re-slating which, being Scotch slated, is more expensive than 'standard' slating using regular shaped 'Welsh' slates such as 16 x 10".

Regards

Richard

If so, sack your mechanic..
That’s horrendous advice.
Puzzled
Temporary fix which has stopped the water coming in
He's coming back to strip the roof and replace the felt

What would you have done ?

Could you advise on what materials I need to be looking at for sealing a dormer on a Victorian terrace? The quotes I'm getting are either felt, rubber, or fibreglass. One has given me different quotes for felt and rubber. Another says fibreglass is the best of all. One says felt is crap. It's not something I'm qualified to make a decision about.

I suspect that most would use EPDM rubber these days for the simplicity. It should be good for 20 years if done correctly. Fibreglass needs the right weather conditions if I understood correctly.

Could you advise on what materials I need to be looking at for sealing a dormer on a Victorian terrace? The quotes I'm getting are either felt, rubber, or fibreglass. One has given me different quotes for felt and rubber. Another says fibreglass is the best of all. One says felt is crap. It's not something I'm qualified to make a decision about.
Felt has a limited lifespan, 10-15 years. Although you’ll see many much older, in reality they won’t be in good shape.
If you can afford lead it’ll out see you but you’ll need a decent leadworker.
The new rubber/fibreglass do look good I must say. Not sure on the guarantees etc though

advertisement

Back