advertisement

Small Bookshelf Speakers, Big Sound

Columbo

pfm Member
Currently running a pair of superb Neat Petite Classics. The sound they create from such a tiny box is mind bending (30 cm high, 18 cm deep and 20 cm wide) . The clarity and separation is excellent. The bass is super surprising. Brilliant little speakers.

But still craving some midrange mass... some heft in the vocal region. But I don't want overly warm, slippers n pipe speakers either. I like a range of music from acoustic to metal to EDM to classical.

Anyone have any experience with the Proac db1, they seem like they could fit the bill? (32cm x 28cm x 18cm)

Or any other speakers around those smaller dimensions in the £2-3k range that might fit the bill

Cheers and have a good weekend :)
Chris

Check out the Amphion Argon range. I did listen to the db1 when looking at speakers. The rear port made placement more problematic. The Amphions had a bit more body to the sound and placement was more flexible.

I'd owned Naim-powered ProAc Response 1Scs in the past, had a hunch that the new equivalent DB1s would work well in my room, and so far looks like I was right.

They do need serious stands though, Custom Design, or s/h original Target R3s if you can find a pair.

The ProAcs offer a lot of imaging, midrange insight and a sense of sheer drama that I've not really experienced with similar speakers.

I thought about the Neat Petites as well, but read that the ribbon was pretty directional.

The ProAcs do need a little bit of space around them - at least a foot or so from the rear wall, to taste.

Slightly confusingly, I have a memory that PMC also used to make a mini called a DB1, so watch out for that....

Not wishing to throw a curve ball but have you considered the source.

I've just this minute swapped a Yamaha CDX-593 for a Arcam CD8se and found that the mid range is much more soulful and pleasing, if that is what you might be looking for.

My speakers have stayed the same.

Maybe Guru QM-10 or even Juniors? Not the last word on super detail, but still a very fun speaker.

Currently running a pair of superb Neat Petite Classics. The sound they create from such a tiny box is mind bending (30 cm high, 18 cm deep and 20 cm wide) . The clarity and separation is excellent. The bass is super surprising. Brilliant little speakers.

But still craving some midrange mass... some heft in the vocal region. But I don't want overly warm, slippers n pipe speakers either. I like a range of music from acoustic to metal to EDM to classical.

Anyone have any experience with the Proac db1, they seem like they could fit the bill? (32cm x 28cm x 18cm)

Or any other speakers around those smaller dimensions in the £2-3k range that might fit the bill

Cheers and have a good weekend :)
Chris

If you’re looking for a standmount with the bang-on like-a-gig stentorian mid bass that the best floorstanders reproduce at all volume levels then I suspect you may be looking for a long time.

That said, PMC, ATC and Proac standmounts are likely to come close, but I suspect none will have quite the gravitas you have in mind.

Have you thought about playing with DSP?

You should give a listen to the Proac Response D2.
I personally prefer the one with soft fabric tweeter but many audiophiles crave for their ribbon tweeters.
Really can’t go wrong with this one.

B&W CM1. The only model of the brand I've enjoyed.

Great bass, slightly recessed mids and decent highs. No annoying treble but they sound better loud because of the mids.

Lovely build quality, drivers and hefty.

I've always wanted to try the tannoy autograph minis

Supposed to be surprising in scale
Superb treble, nice midrange and no bass. IMO you’d have to budget for sub(s).

I’d buy Genelec G3s/8030Cs and sell/find another use for your power amp. Actually, I did, and it’s one of my better moves. FWIW I own and have owned a host of small speakers. Enjoyed them all, prefer the Genelecs to any. When you factor in that you’re getting speakers and amps for a grand it’s pretty compelling.

What’s your amp and how big is your room?

(DB1s are great by all accounts - I have enjoyed owning a couple pairs of ProAc standmounts before)

I have had the D2R, not what you would call a small stand mount. For me, it was too dark sounding, though very clean. It did not really thump, needed a subwoofer to get some body. Maybe did not match with my amp. Oddly, it does not sound much like it’s floorstanding equivalent, the D20R, it is far more polite.

The DB1 wont play as loud, but for me, a more enjoyable and balanced speaker, certainly not pipe and slippers. It has very decent bass, but it can’t defy the laws of physics. It does not have that ATC style presentation, it is more full bodied and sweet.

Bowers 705 series probably do have the bass you want, but brighter than Proacs, you might prefer that though. CM1 suggested could be a good shout.

Have you considered active speakers?
I used Mackies HR series to achieve what you describe. These were more nearfield studio monitors and probably not the sort of sonic blend you’re after, oh and not so good at filling any real space - But unparalleled grip, drive and fun and completely addictive - they made many hi-fi stand mounts sound like they were just playing at it and unusually for me, stayed for years on the end of a Wadia.
The speaker designer having access the power amps really does open up opportunities to them.

I'm still not convinced the OP's issue is with his speakers. When talking of warmth and mid range qualities I would look at my source and then my amp.
I use KEF Cantor ll's which can be a bit toppy and glary if not used with warmer fuller sounding ancillaries.

Cheers all.

My room is tiny, BTW. 2.3m x 3.5m

Yes, I've been down the rabbit hole with sources and it's definitely helped but I think there's a fundamental signature sound to the Neats and tuning them with source will only get me so far... I went through 7 amps last year!

I'm having to mainly triangulate off reviews / anecdote, not ideal, but has generally worked well for me in the past...

Amphion Argons - Interesting to see these mentioned one reviewer, who's ears seem to hear what my ears do based on reviews for gear I've had, said "midrange lacks a little body" (he was comparing to Proac 1SC). So I shall just adopt a state of confusion on these :D

Guru QM-10 - Look interesting but don't think they're what I'm after, think they'll be a step back in general performance level to the excellent Neat (the Neats are superb performers - I'd like to retain that level of performance but slightly different sound signature, if that makes sense?)

DSP - Really good shout. Keep meaning to get stuck into it, especially as I'm using Roon which gives me options. Maybe all a I need is a little EQ tweak! Or maybe there's some DSP that can slap on some mid-range harmonics or something? Hmmn, yeah thanks for the reminder.

Proac Response D2 - Added to the list, thanks. The soft dome versions might be what I'm after.

Tannoy autograph minis - These have always fascinated me, such unusual speakers. Think I might have to give up some tone (which is what I'm after) and dynamics (which would make me sad ha) but would get a ton of soundstage according to this review (I trust his ears also). Have you heard the Tannoy?

B&W CM1 - I generally avoid B&W as I've found them fatiguing but I see a couple of reviews say "silky smooth treble" (though not sure about upper mids). Would these compete with highly rated speakers nearly 3-4x the cost?

Boenicke W5s - Damn, these look so cool. And there's a second hand pair going for £2.5k. Hmmm! Gonna have a read around these, thanks.

Genelecs - As studio monitors, wouldn't they offer a fairly neutral transparent sound? I generally stay away from studio monitors as don't like the aesthetics. I've heard a couple of pairs and they sounded a bit dry/sterile. But maybe I need to expand my horizons?

Lots to consider, thanks again everyone.

Might have me a Sunday afternoon DSP tinker!

advertisement

Back