advertisement

Pixies new album - Doggerel

robs

should know how this works by no
Just popped up on Tidal.

Hooked on the first song! Not heard the rest yet, hope it continues..

Edited to add.....five songs in, oh yes, like this a lot.:)

Edited again...now listened through a couple of times. Love it. This will be on a lot in the next few weeks.

Last edited:
Pixies are my favourite band but I've lost interest now. They're a very different band these days, which is fine I guess but not for me. There are a couple of good tracks on this (the first, for example), followed by some really annoying ones with terrible lyrics. Charles seems to have lost his songwriting skills, which is a shame as he churned out some really solid solo albums. Bluefinger is a better Pixies album than any of the new Pixies albums.

I’ve really gone off them, feel they’ve aged badly & no interest in the post Deal era.

I now much prefer the Breeders even though I had no interest first time round.

Tastes just change.

It's just an age thing with me, another band that have completely passed me by. I do like the occasional track of theirs I hear played on the radio but not heard enough for me to want to explore any more than that.

Of the albums from the re-formed Pixies, I've bought them all and listened to them each once. I haven't got around to the new one yet - the CD arrived yesterday and the LP is scheduled to arrive tomorrow.

And I'm a big fan of the original albums, and most of Charles' solo career. I've worked three Catholics shows, Charles is an easy guy to deal with.

I took my youngest to see them last July. They were opening for Pearl Jam and I enjoyed the Pixies better.
The new bassist's voice is remarkably similar to Kim Deal's.

Christ I wish they'd call it a day. Churning out albums just because you just can, isn't worthy of merit let alone mention on any music-related forum.

Capt.

Each to their own, I think it's great, one of my fave albums of last year.

Pixies are my favourite band but I've lost interest now. They're a very different band these days, which is fine I guess but not for me. There are a couple of good tracks on this (the first, for example), followed by some really annoying ones with terrible lyrics. Charles seems to have lost his songwriting skills, which is a shame as he churned out some really solid solo albums. Bluefinger is a better Pixies album than any of the new Pixies albums.

I thought Indie Cindy and Head Carrier were ok but the last two records are a bit turgid. Never thought I would say that about a Pixies record…..agree that the Frank Black / Black Francis records were mostly genius

Sorry to add negative posts, any pixies album is of course gonna vastly better than any muse abomination.. but they were JUST SO good, on those 2 albums & EP.. that any 'failings' are just magnified SO much. They were that good.

I saw them on the bossanova tour, & even that album we were all just 'meh' PLEASE just play the other music already. No-one cared for anything off bossanova. You could just tell the magic had vanished by '90. I could hear it was simply a parting of songwriting-combined-efforts of CT & KD. You could hear it. It was CT just taking over 90% songwriting duties, KD sidelined or uninterested &just hanging on for well probably the income (such that it would've been) of her touring 'cut'. She was already off writing the fantastic Pod at the time, so it all makes sense.

She was a livewire, & CT a bit odd surly introvert. Massive clash. Never gonna last. That we got such an incredible EP & 2 incredible albums via these two combining like lennon-mac did, that fkn good.. is amazing. that's pixies for me.

I saw them on the bossanova tour, & even that album we were all just 'meh' PLEASE just play the other music already. No-one cared for anything off bossanova. You could just tell the magic had vanished by '90. I could hear it was simply a parting of songwriting-combined-efforts of CT & KD. You could hear it. It was CT just taking over 90% songwriting duties, KD sidelined or uninterested &just hanging on for well probably the income (such that it would've been) of her touring 'cut'. She was already off writing the fantastic Pod at the time, so it all makes sense.

Perspective is funny. I saw them on the "Bossanova" tour as well, and all of the then-new stuff was very well received by that crowd. I loved it then, and I love it now, and I think it has a couple of songs that easily stand among their best.

I’ve really gone off them, feel they’ve aged badly & no interest in the post Deal era.

I now much prefer the Breeders even though I had no interest first time round.

Tastes just change.

Spot on woodywoodface. I can never summerise a point as succinctly.

Pixies was so perfect after 2 albums, like fawlty towers after 2 series, & they shoulda quit there & be known as the greatest band ever for eternity. Oh fk flowery twats is making a comeback. Oh ffs.

Pod kicked bossanova into touch & fine fact lightly known, is that Britt Walford was on drums on this album (but using an alias 'shannon doughton', did you know?).

BW & KDeal vs CT & DL.. no contest.

I think all four proper Pixies albums are great.

The Breeders never made a bad album, I'll give Kim that.

Bossa nova was overated but Trompe le monde was underated.

Frank blacks solo career was patchy but the first album was a quirky gem and teenger of the year would have made a very good single album. ( It was a double).

advertisement

Back